"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 11-25-2014, 11:06 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

I paid about $5 for three pounds of wings. It's worth it to me. Maybe next year, I'll try the whole turkey. I actually never thought of it before.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:11 AM   #32
Executive Chef

I use the fat drippings for the roux and homemade stock with the remaining drippings for gravy.
Using the turkey fat for roux seems to fortify the gravy.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I paid about $5 for three pounds of wings. It's worth it to me. Maybe next year, I'll try the whole turkey. I actually never thought of it before.

It's a financial savings but a commitment to bone the whole turkey so you can use the meats and parts separately.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It's a financial savings but a commitment to bone the whole turkey so you can use the meats and parts separately.
Did you bone it, or just break it down? DH can break it down for me His mom worked at a butcher shop for a while when he was growing up, so he learned a few tricks. He taught me how to break down a chicken. A turkey, though, I'll leave to him.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:38 AM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Did you bone it, or just break it down? DH can break it down for me His mom worked at a butcher shop for a while when he was growing up, so he learned a few tricks. He taught me how to break down a chicken. A turkey, though, I'll leave to him.
I removed the two breast halves from the carcass and wrapped them individually for freezing. I boned the two thighs and wrapped them for freezing. The rest, I just broke down. Crushed the carcass/backbone, removed the wings. Made pieces small enough to fit nicely in the stockpot.

So I end up with the central carcass, thigh bones, drumsticks, wings and the turkey goodies bag all for making stock. I roasted these parts with mirepoix veggies and garlic then made stock. I simmer the stock for 5-6 hours.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
So give us your favorite packet brand, and what you do to make gravy with it.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
My store offers McCormick. I just checked and looked to see what I have on hand. I forgot about the packet of Swedish Meatballs. I love them. Time to use it for supper this week. I have brown gravy, mushroom gravy, white sauce and a couple of others presently on hand. Now I need to get me some bread for the toast. YUM! Thanks Mom for leaving me with great memories.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:33 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I don't know what the pricing is like in other parts of the US, but where I shop, turkey parts such as wings and drumsticks are much more expensive than a whole turkey. Two trays of turkey parts (a couple of wings and drumsticks in each) costs as much as a 10-pound frozen turkey! That's why I buy the whole turkey, save the breasts and thighs for another day and use the rest for stock and gravy.
It's the same here as the turkeys are used as a loss-leader to get you in and by the more expensive sides that go with the turkeys. I always purchace multiple turkeys, usually at different stores as most say one per customer.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

I personally haven't cooked a turkey for the 20 years. But most of those years I can honestly say I usually have a turkey in my freezer. My daughter or other member of the family will buy a whole turkey and put it in my freezer only because they already have one in their own freezer. I know a lot of folks who will purchase a turkey when they are on sale, and will put them on the grill during the summer. I have cut up more than one turkey for my daughter over the years. I taught her at a very young age about making stock for use at a later time. But if my memory serves me right, I seem to be the one who makes it so I will have room for her purchase. Somehow my good intentions at times seems to come back and bite me.

At least once a summer we have a turkey meal cooked on the grill in the yard. And the cost per pound is usually less than around this time of year.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #39
Master Chef

I have been making gravy with red wine I like to drink. Separately I chop mushrooms very finely and saute with lots of onion and seasoning. By the time they are done, you cannot tell that those were mushrooms, my wife hates mushrooms but loves the gravy when I make it like this. Then I fold this mixture into my gravy and just make sure to adjust the thickness of it.

P.S. I am not going to comment on the price of kosher turkey, as the price of it is crazy.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #40
Master Chef

A splash of sherry or cognac can help wake up a ho-hum batch of gravy.

Tags
gravy, other