"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 03-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
jenny, i understand your point, but i doubt you could tell the difference if a basic sauce were added to the other ingredients, instead of building it. adding a little tomato sauce instead of paste and tomatoes, as you've said, is only a small part of the sauce, so the difference would be hard to tell, imo....

We'll agree to disagree then. The basil and oregano would throw the flavor off considerably, IMO. Plus there are already onion, garlic, carrot, etc. in the sauce. Bolognese is made by building layers of flavors, primarily with the vegetables and meat. They cook together. Substituting sauce with herbs and vegetables for plain tomatoes will substantially alter the taste. To my palate at least.

Now I'm jonesing for Marcella's sauce .... maybe this weekend.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

ok, jenny. point taken. i respect your culinary knowledge, so maybe you could tell the diff.
again, it's a small part of the bolognese, so i doubt most would notice the variations.

but, without the sauces in front of us to actually taste, it's all a guess.

where's marcella's?

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:32 PM   #23
Sous Chef

This is an interesting recipe I will try it out or at least some of the things in it. Certainly there is no orthodox way of making tomato sauce everyone has thier own secrets and tricks. This recipe sounds like a good versitle base sauce which is what it was posted as. The butternut suqash is a new one for me but I am intrigued as a matter if fact I was eyeing butternut squash the other day trying to think of a use for it.

I come from an Italian-American home where we ate many different tomato sauces. "Gravy" was made on Sunday all day and was a very meat heavy thick sauce (southern style), delicious but time consuming and impractical for me to make now.

On the Bolognese issue my Mom once went by recipe (this is a northern sauce and not part of our family tradition) and made a classical Bolognese (from Silver Spoon i believe) I was amazed at the lack of tomato it was more a meat and vegetables taste... quite unlike what your local red-sauce joint passes for Bolognese. This would make a nice base for a meat sauce though if not a true Bolognese.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #24
Senior Cook

The squash is, as bucky noted, there for the sweetness it adds to the sauce and it also helps balance the pH of the sauce so it isn't far too acidic, making it difficult to balance on the plate.

The squash was a revelation of mine (not authentic, to my knowledge) about a year ago as I was trying my daughter's baby food. The strained squash just came off as a perfect flavor compliment to the heavy, acidic tomato sauce.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:39 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Also, let me add that this wasn't meant to be some sort of "be-all end-all" tomato sauce. It's my take on the classic that I noted before I went into the recipe. My bad for not being more specific.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:40 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, there you are weeks! i'm takin' a lot of flak here.
c'mon buddy, help me out.

tell 'em your grandma made it this way, and since her passing the best way that you can honor her life was to make her "authentic" sauce!

that'll put them back on their brooms a bit.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:46 PM   #27
Senior Cook

When we talk about pomodoro sauce, the real stuff I had when I was in Italy briefly several years ago, I went to what must have been a half-dozen little mom and pop bistros and restaurants outside of Aviano AFB there and gotten a different sauce every time. Granted I wasn't very adventurous, I pretty much ordered simple stuff like Chicken Parmesan or Lasagna. You know, the typical American stuff. It wasn't until a few years later that I developed a bit more adventure in my food tastes. Point being, though, that I don't think the Italians can even agree on what pomodoro sauce is supposed to definitively be.

Edit: I have to say that it is nice to get this much attention for what, for me, was just a simple and very tasty sauce.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #28
Master Chef

Thanks for piping in with the clarification Weeks that the addition of the squash was your invention & not part of a classic Pomodoro recipe.

It does look like an interesting Italian sauce recipe to try, but it's not a "Pomodoro" (regardless of Bucky continuing to insist that it is - lol), which really is the most basic of Italian sauces with the most minimal amount of ingredients. That's why Pomodoro is considered an Italian "mother sauce". Some folks & cookbooks consider the term Pomodoro interchangeable with Marinara, but I think Pomodoro is even more basic.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:57 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks View Post
Edit: I have to say that it is nice to get this much attention for what, for me, was just a simple and very tasty sauce.
Good, I hope we haven't scared you off from posting more recipes
Old 03-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
where's marcella's?
In her book and reprinted here

Sometimes I use veal or even some pork with the beef.

WEEKS! Glad you popped back in!

Tags
None