"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 06-02-2005, 08:14 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Consul Send a message via AIM to Consul
REC: Dr. Pepper Barbecue Sauce

Hello, all! I have just made this recipe, and I think it is quite good. Hope y'all enjoy it. This recipe is courtesy of an online friend of mine, who is a culinary school student.

-----

Doctor Pepper BBQ Sauce

• 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 cups Dr. Pepper (not diet)
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 cup dry minced onion
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (may substitute 1/4 tsp Tabasco)
  • 1 tsp basil
Just combine all of the ingredients and simmer, letting it reduce down. It will make about 2 cups of sauce.

Notes:

In order to get the oil to emulsify in with the other ingredients, I hit it with a stick blender pretty good after it had cooled off a little. That also purees the sauce to make it nice and smooth.

Now, I didn't have dried onion handy, so I sauteed some fresh onion in a little of the oil called for, then poured it into the rest of the ingredients as they started simmering. It worked pretty well. I'd imagine you could use fresh garlic in a similar way.

Have fun!

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry
Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:16 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen

Darren, You ROCK!!!

I cannot wait to make this!!!

Old 06-02-2005, 09:24 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
ah man !!! where were you sunday when i was looking for bbq sauces to make ???? oh well, still making it !
Old 06-03-2005, 09:00 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Thanks, ladies!

I do think this is a good sauce. However, I can still taste the ketchup component, which is true of most barbecue sauces really. I'm wondering, what if I replaced the ketchup with half tomato paste and half blended whole canned tomatoes, added some mollasses, and kicked up the garlic and salt components a bit?

I'll give that a try for next time.

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry
Old 06-03-2005, 05:44 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Great to see this sauce and Im glad to see more people using soda in their meat dishes... it's one of the best "secret" ingredients out there (you wouldent belive what cocacola does to pork before frying it).

Hmmm... if you do take out the ketchup remember to add a little vinager besides the other ingredients you mention, that's part of what makes the taste appealing. Of course if you want to do a BBQ sauce like my grandmaa you could use a lemon instead of vinager.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:22 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Lugaru,

The recipe already calls for lemon juice, but you're right, some vinegar probably would not hurt at all.

And I agree. Various kinds of soda pop make great ingredients in a wide variety of things.

Old 06-05-2005, 12:48 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Okay, I made up a new batch with my new recipe in mind. Here's what I did:

Removed the ketchup
Added one small can of tomato paste
Doubled the amount of garlic
Added one more teaspoon of salt
Added molasses, sugar, and corn syrup (Karo light)

The verdict: I added way too much molasses, probably close to a 1/4 cup. For some reason, I was thinking all of the remaining sweetness needed to come from this. I was wrong. I ended up adding corn syrup, which did nothing, then finally, just plain old granulated sugar, which finally brought the sweetness where I wanted it.

My task for next time: Cut the amount of molasses in half, and just add enough sugar for sweetness. No need for the corn syrup, I think.

Still, I think this is a step in the right direction. The ketchup flavor is gone, replaced by molasses flavor. Next time, I'll nail it.

Old 06-05-2005, 12:53 PM   #8
Hospitality Queen

This is very exciting, so see the recipe morphing!

Once you have perfected it, please post it, making sure you post it!
I'm going to wait to make it till it's the perfect blend. Then I can promise you I'll try it.

Also, what food did you use it on?
Old 06-05-2005, 01:06 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Well, today I plan to slather it on a burger or five just before they come off the grill. I think grilled chicken would also be a great use of this sauce. I would like to try it on ribs when I have a finalized recipe.

I need to start keeping a kitchen lab notebook so I can keep track of exactly what I do in what amounts. We like reproducable results and all that.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:04 AM   #10
Senior Cook

This is definitely a good sauce. The molasses flavor isn't so bad once you put it on food, but I still think it's overdone.

I was talking to a friend of mine on the phone, and he suggested that instead of using my molasses/sugar combo, to simply use dark brown sugar. Immediately upon hearing this suggestion, I start hitting my forehead against a wall wondering why I hadn't thought of that...

Tags
None