TNT Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
We had this sauce over a pork loin roast last night. I substituted Tabasco for ground red pepper with perhaps too heavy a hand, but otherwise this sauce was a success. Very rich flavor!

Recipe is from Joy of Cooking.

Heat 2 T olive oil in a medium heavy pan over medium heat. (I used my cast iron skillet.) Add 1-1/2 cups chopped onions and stir often, until lightly browned.

Stir in:
3 large or 4 medium red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, and coarsely chopped
2 T minced garlic
1 T sweet paprika
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 to 1/4 tsp ground red pepper to taste

Cook for one minute more. Add:
1-1/2 cups beef stock and one cup water, or 2 cups water

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover, and very slowly simmer the sauce for 1-1/2 hours. Puree the mixture in a blender or food processor and season with salt and pepper (doesn't need the salt and pepper, IMO).

Serve this deeply flavored, almost sweet sauce, over grilled meats, chicken, or fish.

p.s. I also think this would be abfab on grilled polenta

Last edited:
We had this sauce over a pork loin roast last night. I substituted Tabasco for ground red pepper with perhaps too heavy a hand, but otherwise this sauce was a success. Very rich flavor!

Recipe is from Joy of Cooking.

Heat 2 T olive oil in a medium heavy pan over medium heat. (I used my cast iron skillet.) Add 1-1/2 cups chopped onions and stir often, until lightly browned.

Stir in:
3 large or 4 medium red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, and coarsely chopped
2 T minced garlic
1 T sweet paprika
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 to 1/4 tsp ground red pepper to taste

Cook for one minute more. Add:
1-1/2 cups beef stock and one cup water, or 2 cups water

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover, and very slowly simmer the sauce for 1-1/2 hours. Puree the mixture in a blender or food processor and season with salt and pepper (doesn't need the salt and pepper, IMO).

Serve this deeply flavored, almost sweet sauce, over grilled meats, chicken, or fish.

p.s. I also think this would be abfab on grilled polenta

Thanks for that...we're having a BBQ this weekend..I'd love to try this out!:chef:

hey, les - did you ever actually try this? after my original post, I did try it over polenta (cooked, cooled, cut into circles, and then fried) - wonderful.

hey, les - did you ever actually try this? after my original post, I did try it over polenta (cooked, cooled, cut into circles, and then fried) - wonderful.
Hi there,
I haven't made it yet, only because I ended up in hospital on the weekend I was planning the BBQ!!
Home now though, I have copied & pasted & will do on the next weekend, this weekend I was at The London Clothes Show, so time was short
Cooking With The Joneses — Italian & Not So Italian Cooking

hopefully if the weather holds up, will be doing this week. If not I'll do it with steaks in doors :chef:

Back
Top Bottom