"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 09-27-2007, 11:20 AM   #11
Head Chef

thanks for all the replies guys - My oven is a stainless steel maytag with a flat electric range on it. i lost the manual in the move, but im sure there are online copies of it.

as for the pizzas....so that seems to be a spot where convection really shines? also in dry roasts, and what not?

Old 09-27-2007, 11:56 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Baked goods, for sure. Cookies, breads, muffins, rolls. When I put in a sheet of cookies or dinner rolls, they all brown evenly, tops and bottoms. Same for the pizzas - evenly browned all over.

I have noticed that I prefer to only bake 1 sheet of cookies at a time. I use a half-sheet bun pan which is almost as big as the rack. I noticed when I put 2 sheets in at a time, they took much longer and the browning wasn't as even. After trying different things, it seems to me that the convection needs lots of open space for the air to circulate. You have to be careful not to block the sides by having a cookie sheet pushed up against the oven wall or it won't work as well.

HTH. Did you try a pizza yet?

Old 09-27-2007, 05:16 PM   #13
Head Chef

Fisher's Mom - I am trying one as we speak.

Will TTT the thread and let you know how it goes.

Wish me luck!

i'ma show my wife this thread so she can see your baking advice.

as rachael ray would say - "i dont bake"
Old 09-27-2007, 06:06 PM   #14
Head Chef

Wow...all i can say. The crust on this pizza is ridiculous. It's one of those red baron self serve deep dish pizzas, i used to love them back in the oldschool days. I would just microwave them as a kid.

I picked up a bunch of random pizzas to test on this convection oven, and the first one i tried is pretty ridiculous. I baked one on the normal setting, then baked the other one in the packet on convection.

Crazy stuff. This convection oven thing is not a gimmick.

Will keep you guys tuned in as i try a wider spectrum of pizzas.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:23 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig View Post
Wow...all i can say. The crust on this pizza is ridiculous. It's one of those red baron self serve deep dish pizzas, i used to love them back in the oldschool days. I would just microwave them as a kid.

I picked up a bunch of random pizzas to test on this convection oven, and the first one i tried is pretty ridiculous. I baked one on the normal setting, then baked the other one in the packet on convection.

Crazy stuff. This convection oven thing is not a gimmick.

Will keep you guys tuned in as i try a wider spectrum of pizzas.
Uhmmmm, ridiculous means good, right?

I am so with you about this. I just got an oven with convection recently and it's been a blast figuring out how to use it and seeing how much better my favorite baked things were coming out. I know you're gonna do amazing things with yours because you're already a very good cook. I'm really looking forward to hearing your tips for using the convection setting!
Old 09-27-2007, 10:53 PM   #16
Head Chef

FM, absolutely.

Ridiculous, as in...ridiculously good.

Thank you for your wonderful compliments.

I've yet to test out my remaining frozen pizzas on this apparatus, as tonight i cooked some real food :)

Texas BBQ :)

But, as promised, i will deliver a full report. As one of these pizzas is a supreme, i will take your instructions under advisement.