"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 06-23-2004, 11:53 PM   #1
Cook

Donut Factory

Has anyone ever used the Dazey Donut Factory or a product very similar to it? I have something very similar to it but much, much older and when I tried to make donuts, they didn't come out right. I followed the instructions and even tried doing it my own way and nothing worked. The top of the donut won't cook properly (though still edible). I tried flipping the donut over but that didn't really help too much.

Am I doing something wrong or does this product just not work correctly?

Also, would someone happen to have a donut recipe I could use in this thing that doesn't require using 1/4 cup of oil or more? If I wanted greasy donuts I'd cook them in the deep fryer, LOL.

Old 06-24-2004, 12:49 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Donuts need to be deep fried.

Try making scones if you want something healthy.

Mmmmm... Scones. 8)

Old 06-26-2004, 11:19 PM   #3
Cook

As it turns out, the recipe I was given was missing a key ingredient: baking powder. I'll try again tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:19 PM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
I bought one of these at a yard sale. It only cooks one side, so you are never going to get anything that resembles a commercial donut. They are passable, but not great. As the wise man says, they gotta be deep fried. The awful, fattening truth!
Old 06-30-2004, 05:45 PM   #5
Cook

When I added the missing ingredient (baking powder), the donut came out fine. It did cook on both sides but one side got cooked a little more than the other. It did taste more like cake than a donut but I don't mind. As a child I loved those Hostess brand of donuts which I think are baked, not fried. Though, nothing is as good as a fried donut, but for me baked will do just fine (for now).

Now, onto the next mission: to make a chocolate donut.