"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 11-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
No problem about the ammonia. As I said it does to appear to make the copper very bright, so it's good for that. This pan has an extremely thick coating of black stuff -- it's been that way for years -- and it is quite possible that it is just too thick for ammonia to work.

Yes DL I do have a Dremel and I've been a bit crazy buying all kinds of attachments. I give your suggestion some thought, but copper is a pretty soft metal and I don't want to take any chances of unnecessarily scratching it.

At the end of each Easy Off session I've noticed the wash water is coming off with a brown color, so the lye in that product is working. It spent the night absorbing Easy Off after spraying it outside. I think I'll set it in a pan of 20% lye today and see how that goes. I'm pretty sure enough lye will eventually dissolve all the black crust. I should have thought of using lye before -- Easy Off is just aerosol lye, and lye crystals are far, far cheaper.

I'll try remember to add a picture later today. It has come a long ways since the OP. Enough so that I think eventual success is assured. Even crudded up this pan has worked nicely for decades, my favorite 1/2 Qt. sauce pan, but it will be even more pleasure if I get it looking like new, and with its long history in my use and being used by my mother before me.

It's funny, I think I can restore it to like new condition. That's amazing since it must be 50+ years old. I hope they had manufacture dates stamped in, I'd like to date this old pan.
I'd stay away from grinders. Every so often, someone brings me a piece of CI that daddy has decided to clean with a wheel or wire brush. It's gone. This would be especially true of the copper bottom of the Revere. It's a wash, not a plating, and is very thin.

If you are familiar with using lye, that's the way I would go.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I hope they had manufacture dates stamped in, I'd like to date this old pan.
This may help.

Revere Ware History | reverewarehistory

Old 11-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

You might want to try this for "abused" pans:

Revere Ware Parts*::*Care and Cleaning
Old 11-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #34
Head Chef

It might cost a few pennies but have it glass beaded.

Abrasive blasting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most auto body shops, machine shops, or metal fabrication shops would be able to do it for you and at a small cost if you're willing to wait for them to do it when they have another project that requires glass beading.

They can get very nice results. Sand or Bead blasting stainless steel

If you're really into DIY then a small sand blasting set up isn't overboard in price and can be used for many things around the house.
Blast-Out-of-a-Bucket Abrasive Gun

Good luck with your pot.

It's a keeper.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I thought this crud was a recent occurrence. I didn't realize you've been using it like this for years. What prompted your "come to jesus moment"?
I saw God in the grease left after I made my bacon-lettuce-tomato sandwich. Okay?

Your question is specious. I like nice things. I realized I had a nice thing hiding under crud.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
Lye will work. I use a box of drain cleaner in 5 gallons of water. It will probably destroy the handle, although it doesn't destroy food safe buckets. For your pan I would soak the bottom only in a couple of inches of liquid. It will take a couple of days. It is not going to hurt the metal parts of the pan. In general, lye only attacks organic matter.

Used incorrectly, lye is nasty stuff. Keep it away from the animals, and read the directions.
I'm a soaper. I buy lye in 16 pound batches. I know lye better than anybody on the forum except my fellow CD soaper members.

Don't worry, I know the handle would probably not withstand lye. Anyway I'm down to the bottom inch of the pan as being a problem.

I question your supposition that lye won't hurt copper. I saw blue when I hauled out my pan from Easy Off today and blue is the color copper lends salts.

But trust me. I'm an experienced RTCP soaper who master batches his lye at 33%. I've played with more lye in the last year than most people see in a lifetime. And using it to make soap, not to clear drains!

That is the irony of soapmaking, that mixing fats and oils with lye results in a product you enjoy rubbing on your face and body. It is an odd hobby but I enjoy it almost as much as cooking. I've been making soap for several years.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:59 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
I'd stay away from grinders. Every so often, someone brings me a piece of CI that daddy has decided to clean with a wheel or wire brush. It's gone. This would be especially true of the copper bottom of the Revere. It's a wash, not a plating, and is very thin.

If you are familiar with using lye, that's the way I would go.
Yeah me too. I know a grinder may scratch. Lye will eat organics, and may eat metal depending.... I'm worried about the copper. If I use lye I will keep a close eye on how the copper is faring.

We soapers use mainly stainless steel for mixing our witches' broth. Stainless resists all. The only other real choice is Pyrex, and many soapers (not me) shy away from glass. My Pyrex has never failed me, but I don't add water to lye powder.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Thanks Bea! I'm getting almost close enough to post the entire emblazon from the bottom of the pan.

I can already read most of that stuff where last week I couldn't even tell there was a trademark there.

But you can't mistake this stuff if you've seen any cookware out of the '50s. I so hope I can find a manufacturing date. It might even be from my grandmother's era in the '30s.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:05 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
It might cost a few pennies but have it glass beaded.

Abrasive blasting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most auto body shops, machine shops, or metal fabrication shops would be able to do it for you and at a small cost if you're willing to wait for them to do it when they have another project that requires glass beading.

They can get very nice results. Sand or Bead blasting stainless steel

If you're really into DIY then a small sand blasting set up isn't overboard in price and can be used for many things around the house.
Blast-Out-of-a-Bucket Abrasive Gun

Good luck with your pot.

It's a keeper.
Good idea! You figured out I'm a sucker for hobbies ------ how? But you are right, I know of furniture stripping and metal cleaning businesses within driving distance. A last resort.

--------------

Just a last update, I'll have a much better picture to post tomorrow, including the manufacturer's emblazoned trademark data!