"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2018, 06:12 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Hey, that sounds logical to me Joey. Just throw the paper clips in the trash, right?
Yes, lol

salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueberttix View Post
I used to use bamboo originally, but the thought of splinters in my meat didn't sit well with me. And I would have to discard them after each use, it seemed like a waste.

I just wanted to see if there were a pair with electroplating, why not, if it's going to be even more reliable.
If you go with quality stainless steel, no plating is necessary. From my experience in the automotive world, I didn't even know you CAN electroplate over stainless steel. Electroplating SS car parts would probably make other car guys wonder, "why?"

Just get some good SS skewers. That's what I use on the grill, and they clean up in the dishwasher, or with soap, water and a sponge.

SS can discolor, but only if you get it REALLY hot. SS headers on a car discolor over time, but they get REALLY hot. You are not likely to ever cook at those kinds of temperatures.

CD

Old 09-16-2018, 10:16 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Electroplating can fail over time. Solid stainless won't. There will be no peeling and no rust.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:19 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Electroplating can fail over time. Solid stainless won't. There will be no peeling and no rust.
Exactly!

CD
Old 09-17-2018, 08:30 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the info on Electroplating (I might have meant "electropolishing"), I got it from here: https://www.marlinwire.com/blog/what...tainless-steel

It looks at though the Germans win again, those Wüsthof cost from £2.50-£5.50, I am just now trying to find out why from the company. I don't cook on a high heat, in fact drying Jerky in the oven calls for the lowest possible temperature.

Will be back once I know what's going on with their steel..
hueberttix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:34 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Thanks for the info on Electroplating (I might have meant "electropolishing"), I got it from here: https://www.marlinwire.com/blog/what...tainless-steel

It looks at though the Germans win again, those Wüsthof cost from £2.50-£5.50, I am just now trying to find out why from the company. I don't cook on a high heat, in fact drying Jerky in the oven calls for the lowest possible temperature.

Will be back once I know what's going on with their steel..
I think that you may be over-thinking this. I don't think you need to spend a lot of time, and money, solving your problem. I think most of us are saying the same thing, go with SS. It doesn't have to be an expensive brand, it just needs to be SS.

You are buying some new skewers, not a new car.

CD
Old 09-19-2018, 06:08 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Feedback from the Amazon UK seller of the linked skewers reveals the makeup of the alloy to be Stainless Steel 304, Ni>8.0%, Cr>17.0%.

Not as resistant to corrosion as 316, and with less Nickel as a result, but a result.

ref: https://www.amazon.com/Master-Cook-S...70_&dpSrc=srch
Old 09-20-2018, 09:31 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Feedback from the Amazon UK seller of the linked skewers reveals the makeup of the alloy to be Stainless Steel 304, Ni>8.0%, Cr>17.0%.

Not as resistant to corrosion as 316, and with less Nickel as a result, but a result.

303 and 304 stainless is what is used for the fuel handling systems inside of a nuclear reactor to prevent any chance of corrosion. Even a tiny spot of rust subjected to radiation will become contaminated. If it's good enough for that, it pretty much has to be good enough for drying jerky.

I was a machinist for 33 years and the only time I ever worked with 316 SS was for the internal parts of a large pump for something in the food industry. That material is a pain in the rear to work with, which may explain why you don't see it too often, and generally only when it's actually necessary.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:

Just curious. If you spend this much time on a $10 item, how long does it take you to buy a car?
Old 09-20-2018, 02:26 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

I don't drive. But when I do it will be a Jaguar XKSS:

https://www.twrreplicas.com/jaguar-xkss.html

Before you ask, about £125k