Sweet Hot Sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ekim

Senior Cook
Trader Joe's grocery used to have a store-branded SWEET Hot Sauce. It was really flavourful and still had a decent amount of heat. I have only found one other brand () and it falls well short on sweetness and heat.

Anyone know of a good brand to buy online or a recipe for making a good sweet hot sauce yourself? Maybe even just adding something to a simple hot sauce like Frank's?

I think what you're looking for is Thai Sweet Chili Sauce. There are many brands - all good (at least all the ones I've tried). Since Thai food has become so popular, most large supermarkets carry at least one brand. Check the Asian food aisle of your market & give it a try. And any Asian market will definitely carry it as well.

Thai sweet chili sauce has heat? Mine doesn't, unless my tongue has no taste buds left. Am I thinking of something else? It comes in a tall-ish bottle and is an orange-ish color?

Thai sweet chili sauce has heat? Mine doesn't, unless my tongue has no taste buds left. Am I thinking of something else? It comes in a tall-ish bottle and is an orange-ish color?
The brand I buy, it has a chicken on it and comes with a green cap, definitely has heat. I'm a serious wimp though when it comes to heat so I taste everything.

The brand I buy, it has a chicken on it and comes with a green cap, definitely has heat. I'm a serious wimp though when it comes to heat so I taste everything.

I just went to taste mine - you are right. There is a tiny bit of heat. I didn't even notice the heat when I used this. I used it as a dip for some Thai spring rolls. I guess if you are sensitive to the heat you would definitely taste it.

This might be good on my smoked ribs. Right before I put them on the grill maybe a drizzle of this and a quick sear?

The heat varies depending on the brand. Brands I get from an Asian market definitely have more heat than the ones I've bought in regular supermarkets.

As far as using it for grilling, I use it on grilled chicken all the time, but definitely only add it for a last quick sear as it has a lot of sugar & burns quickly. I also use it as a post-grilling dipping sauce.

If you'd like it hotter, just add some crushed hot red pepper flakes to taste.

Thanks for the replies. I like heat, but it has to have good flavour with it. That's why so many hot sauces are lousy IMO.

When I moved, my kitchen basically came first. I found 2 different bottles of Sweet Thai Chili Sauce. Now I realize I need more uses for it or it will go bad. Tattrat ~ you seem to believe it's the best condiment ever. Do you have some suggestions (should I ask elsewhere maybe for recipes?)?

Its perfect for a party dip, say a raw veggie tray, or some deep fried goodies. I use it in my own tomato sauce, ill post the recipe at a later time, as I have to figure out measurements. I just know how much it needs so I dont measure :P other than that, next time you make a spaghetti, or tomato sauce, add in a little bit, it usually goes quite nice

I used it as a dip for grilled shrimp with a side of sesame noodles; if yours is too hot for your taste, you could add some plum sauce to it. I've also added a tbsp. or so to the sesame noodle sauce, and used it in stir-fry sauce. HTH.

So I found a use today. I made my teryaki sauce for my chicken wingetts and it was a touch too sweet (no measuring cups have been unearthed in my moving boxes yet) so I put in a spoonful of the sweet chili sauce and it was perfect. Nice balance and it added a new dimension.

Back
Top Bottom