Bread machines- who has one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the reasons I prefer to bake my bread in the oven is because I don't care for the shape of the bread machine pan and I also don't like the "belly button" that the bread paddle makes in the loaf.

Another reason I like using my machine on the DOUGH cycle is that I can get two loaves my way as opposed to one in the machine. I also far prefer the texture of the bread that I bake in my oven to that that is done in the bread machine.

Yes, most of the even basic machines have timers so that fresh bread can welcome you when you get up for breakfast.

When I say I use the dough cycle only, this means the machine kneads the dough and then completes 2 raising cycles. I have not been clear on that. I do not remove the dough when the machine has finished the kneading, I remove it when the dough cycle is complete. I do this to have control of the final raising and putting the bread in the oven when the dough has risen the proper amount. The bread machine will start the bake cycle automatically at a given minute, whether the dough has risen properly or not. My bread machine has the traditional shaped loaf pan. I just can not get a properly risen loaf of whole wheat bread out of it. And believe me I tried. When I remove the dough after the dough cycle is complete, I shape the dough and place it in the bread baking loaf pan, cover, let rise and bake off in the oven. I can produce a lovely loaf this way.

I do not like the idea of the water, flour and other ingredients sitting in the bread machine for any length of time, then have a timer to start the bread at a later time. Just a personal preference. We also have oatmeal or pancakes for breakfast, so do not need fresh bread in the morning.

I've got one that I use mainly for pizza dough. When I do bread, I'll do the dough in the machine and then bake in the oven.

I read some where that all bread machines are made by two companies, but will build them to different specs for various customers.

I own the Zojirushi.

If you can afford it, it's the one to get.

I would never, ever buy a Zojirushi bread machine. I had a Zojirushi two travel mug coffeemaker once and it was a piece of garbage. It leaked, it made lousy coffee, and it would not fill the two mugs equally.

A Zojirushi rice cooker I would buy, or a Zojirushi tea pot. The Japanese know how to make rice and tea. Coffee and bread are a different story.

But how do you know if the bread machine won't work until and unless you try it?

I also have a Zojirushi Rice Cooker, BTW.

corey, what has been your experience with your Zojirushi bread machine?

I definitely would not call my machine a piece of crap. It is a well built machine that has seen a lot of use and held up well. It just is not programmed to make whole wheat bread, nor have I been able to program it to make ww bread.

I absloutely LOVE mine, and that is my favorite thing to make in it - WW bread! I plan to use it this weekend fto make some more WW bread.

I mean, I also love my twoo K'Aid Stand Mixers and the Electrolux Assistant, but I just can't risist using the breadmachine because you don't have to do any of the work by hand if you don't want to.

Yours should be able to make WW bread. Don't see why it isn't.

corey, what has been your experience with your Zojirushi bread machine?

That's what I've been trying to find out..... Something must make them so much better..... or not

I've only made one kind of bread in mine, like I think I said. What problem do you have making whole wheat bread? I'd like to give it a shot just to see if mine can make it.

Remember, this was years ago! I was working with the recipe that came with the machine; 5 cups whole wheat flour, 4 T. wheat gluten, etc. The loaf was too small and dense, for using that much flour. I talked with the fine folks at King Arthur flour and they suggested using the Basic White bread setting. The recipe I use now uses 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and produces a large loaf, just made one today, its beautiful.

machines,machines ,machines

i thought i could't live without one. dropped hints and got it several christmas. i only used it twice, it is in my sons garage, i think. i also did not like the shape of loaf. bread wasn't much good either.

babe

But how do you know if the bread machine won't work until and unless you try it?

The same way I know that any appliance I buy manufactured by Krups will be reliable, and any Philips electronics I buy will last a long time. Years of experience.

cora, i have an old breadman bread machine. it's probably about 15 years old, but only gets used in spurts a few times a year. that is, whenever it gets taken out, it gets used several times before it's put away to make temporary room for something else. then it's forgotten about for another year.

i have to say that when does get used, it's great and it couldn't be easier. i buy the boxed bread mixes, which now often include the required packet of yeast. you just pour in the water, then dump in the contents of the mix and yeast, and 2 hours later you have fresh bread. that's it. and the house smells great for a few hours afterwards.

someday, when the earth slows and there's 9 days in a week, 28 hours in a day, i'll use it the way k.t.e. does and bake the bread seperately for different crusts and shapes. but for now, i love my breadman.

We have a WestBend 2lb capacity breadmaker. I love it because it makes a traditional loaf, not one that stands on it's end. It bakes a nice, even loaf and the only time I've had a problem was when my yeast was getting a little old. I've made WW bread once but go with the traditional white recipe more often than not. I use it alot in the fall and winter but not so much in the summer. We just don't eat as much bread in the summer I guess!

i use my breadmaker at least 3 times a week, but only on dough cycle!

im not keen on the crust of a loaf baked in the machine and like to use fresh yeast so kneed and rise stuff in machine then bake in oven.

we never buy bread anymore and it saves us a ton of money.

i also have a really good bread machine cookbook so maKE TONS OF STUFF LIKE BAGLES, HONEY OAT BREAD , ITALIAN BREAD, POIZZA BASE ETC! (sorry hit capps lock then!) the books called "the bread machine cookbook" by donna rathmell german.

I too have a breadmaker I never use. I love it but it is too big to lug out all the time and I only ever used the dough cycle. I don't mind the little hole it puts in the bread from the paddle but I hated the shape of the bread. I think they have machines on the market now that make them a normal shape.

I have 2 bread machines that got almost constant use until recently when I bought a KA stand mixer. It works just as well to make two 2-pound batches of dough with only one bowl to clean up and only uses one electrical outlet. Like most of ya'll, I only made dough in them but baked the bread in the regular oven. So this week, I'm giving my bread machines to my kids and then I'll have room for my new food processor!

So why is it that some of you don't bake the bread in the bread machine? Because of the shape? And what shape is it? Really tall loaves?
Cora,
I didn't like the shape nor the crust..So i prefer to shape and bake in the oven..You can then get the type of crust you want and the shape you want. I hated the little squat loaves with the hole in it...YUK and the crust was just crust. My kids use to insist it be cut off and that left them with a pretty small sandwich...Each machine is different in the shape of the loaves. or was when I got my Joji..I still have it but never use it I love kneading the bread myself..With the boys though a machine would be helpful and then you could take the dough out shape it and bake in your oven...The kids will love it if they like bread and butter with a sprinkle of sugar and cinnamon:)
kades

So why is it that some of you don't bake the bread in the bread machine? Because of the shape? And what shape is it? Really tall loaves?
There are several reasons for me but the main one is that I have trouble getting consistent results in my machines. I find that just making dough gives me more flexibility. Like if for some reason, my yeast wasn't as active as it should be, I can let it rise longer. (OK, it's probably cook's error with regard to the yeast.) I can work in a little more flour if I've gotten too much liquid in the dough, too.

The other reason is I'm impatient and lazy. 90% of the bread I bake is in the form of rolls and bread sticks. I just divide the 2 lb. dough into 16 pieces, shape them, put them on a baking sheet, and into the oven at 400 for 10 minutes. Instant gratification and I don't have to let it cool and/or slice it so no crumbs. Apparently, this method is almost fool-proof because I've never had a batch fail.

I love my Panasonic bread machine and use it a couple times a week. I both use it to make dough for rolls or pizza crust, but also bake in it at least once a week. The only thing I don't like about mine is that it makes a square-shaped loaf. It IS super easy - basically dump in the ingredients and let it do its thing.

Back
Top Bottom