"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks for the tips, folks. I'll give it a try.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Softscrub.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I have the exact same problem, Andy, and was struggling with it this morning, as a matter of fact. I had used the self-cleaning function last night, and I always have to wipe out some residue. But increasingly, there is more and more "grime" on the window that is resistant to cleaning. I find that I can get most of it off with a microfiber cloth and/or a nylon scrubbie thing and some elbow grease, but there are two or three stubborn spots that remain.

BTW, I tried Bon Ami and Softscrub, to no avail. I do not want to use anything stronger for fear of scratching the glass. I've ordered some microfiber sponges that a scrubber side, so I will try one of those when they arrive.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Success!

I tried a combination of solutions. I sprayed the window with Dawn Power Dissolver and let it work for about a half hour. Then I used a razor blade scraper followed by Windex and paper towels to clean it off.

It's not perfect but it's about 98% clean. I can live with that.

Thank you all for your help.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:10 AM   #15
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
My oven door has a double pane of glass and the door itself has these slits so over the years some stuff has spilt down the door and stained the glass. Uncleanable. I just ignore it now.
I had the same problem with the oven in the house (new) we had before moving here. Like you, I ignored it after a while, but DID hang a teatowel over the door when we had buyers inspecting I don't think they noticed.. it only took them 25 mins to decide to buy the house:)))
Old 04-07-2016, 03:36 PM   #16
Sous Chef

I stumbled across this old thread looking for something else. I've tried to clean the glass with a number of normal household cleaners that the manufacturer recommended (Windex, Simple Green), but nothing had any effect.

The supermarket didn't have Dawn Power Dissolver, but had a dish soap named Dawn Platinum Power Clean. I squirted some of this soap on the glass, covered the glass (and soapy water) with wet paper towels to help soak it, and then went off and did something else for an hour. I was able to scrape off the relatively soft gunk with a single edge razor blade in about 10 minutes. I think it's about as clean as you can get it (better than 98%).

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:47 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Sadly, Dawn Power Dissolver is no longer available. Glad the other stuff worked. I also considered using oven cleaner.

I now have a new problem. That inner glass in the oven door is now cracked. I have a replacement kit but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:26 PM   #18
Master Chef

Could you use the ammonia trick?

Open the oven door, put down a layer of paper towels, saturate the towels with ammonia and cover them with plastic wrap or a trash bag and let it sit overnight.