"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-06-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
Master Chef

Commercial/restaurant equipment

Does anybody have an advice where to find a good deal on a new range? Need 6 burners, gas. I have been to a store, but Iím wondering if on line source would be better. Also, I never worked on commercial equipment before so what would be your advice. Are there professionals here who know about this stuff? Donít want to get screwed (pardon my language).

Old 04-06-2005, 07:43 PM   #2
Sous Chef

I would check for resturant supply stores in your area, also haggle, haggle, haggle. Generaly those items don't move too fast or too often so salespersons are willing to wheel and deal. And ask to take a floor model, you can get a few hundred off if you take one of those instead.

BTW.....I'm jealous.

Old 04-06-2005, 07:56 PM   #3
Cook

Send a message via AIM to eric Send a message via Yahoo to eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
Does anybody have an advice where to find a good deal on a new range? Need 6 burners, gas. I have been to a store, but Iím wondering if on line source would be better. Also, I never worked on commercial equipment before so what would be your advice. Are there professionals here who know about this stuff? Donít want to get screwed (pardon my language).
Be careful!!! These stoves are not designed for home use so there is a lot less insulation. You can burn a hole on your wall because there is no insulation. You should check your code too. My friend did that and the wall behind the stove started to burn. He had to add tiles back there (this is why you see stainless steel all around the stove area in a restaurant kitchen) Also, they are not very energy efficient (cheap ones that is). Where are you located? A chef friend of mine now designs kitchnes for hotels and restaurants in NYC.
Do you have a Smart and Final? They have these commerical 6 burner stoves but make sure you have ample fan for them. These will make your kitchen hot. The ones you see in television and movies, these are professional stoves designed for home use. More insulation. A 6 burner, Viking or Garland will run you a few K's.

eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:35 PM   #4
Head Chef

Ditto on what Eric said. I don't have commercial range and never worked on one, but saw a special on TV once about them. One useful tidbit of info I found was that when commercial ranges are put into a home not only does it need extra special attention to not burn the wall, but you can't butt the appliance up against a wall or counter, like you can the home style models. Not sure if this info is useful to you or not but figured I'd pass it on.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:28 AM   #5
Cook

That's interesting. I have looked at some 24" commercial ranges, and would certainly like one, but my apartment doesn't have gas. I didn't think they wouldn't have insulation, but I would guess that would be another barrier. Still, they certainly do look a lot better and more durable then the home units I've seen.

MrCoffee
Old 04-07-2005, 11:43 AM   #6
Master Chef

I'm not looking for me personally, I'm looking for an institution, but will get a chance to work on that stove a lot as I help/volunteer a lot for them. They do not have or actually even need a regular cook. Unfortunately, that makes harder to select the proper equipment as Iím not a professional and do not really know what to get or how much it should cost. I was looking on line, but it seems to me that I wasnít looking at the right places as Iíve seen the same ranges for less money in one of the stores here, in town. Wouldnít Internet have better deals? Maybe not, maybe Iím looking at wrong places.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:44 AM   #7
Master Chef

P. S. I do know about the safety issues. That part is being taking care of, but thank you for pointing this out to me.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:48 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Charlie check here. They have even better prices on their scratch & dent stuff, but you have to go to their location to buy those.

restaurant equippers
Old 04-07-2005, 09:14 PM   #9
Master Chef

Well, obviously you can't use a commercial stove in a residential setting for a couple of reasons ... one is the fire codes (you need specific insulation for a commercial stove which is far greater than a "home" stove") and the fact that a commercial stove requires a larger gas line than found in the average home. But, since you're not looking for a home application ..... those points are moot.

Look in your phone book for restaurant supply equipment stores - and DON'T overlook those that sell USED equipment. Remember - a LOT or restaurants fail in the first year they are open. There are a lot of great bargains out there on equipment that is only 1-2 years old, and just as good as new.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:42 AM   #10
Master Chef

Rainee thank you very much.