"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
[snip]

Also, just have to say I love your posts.

Cheryl J, I guess 6qt isn't all that big compared to my 4qt crock pot. And making leftovers is a good thing.

Bakechef, A rheostat is old school tech and plug ends (male and female), wire, boxes, and dimmer switches are things I toss out everyday at work. So to try this is all but free for me.
If I ever do get around to cobbling together a contraption I'll let you good folks here know how it works.
My only concern would be that it might cause harm to the heating elements in the crock pot. But if it does it gives me a great excuse to upgrade to something like a Nesco.

Dawg, & Kayelle, Could you kindly explain to me the difference between Slow Cook, Cook, Roast, Bake, and Steam I see on the dial in Dawg's pic. Steam has my interest the most.

And personally. Items with a patina are much more beautiful then items fresh out of the box.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Crock pot with adjustable temperature?

Zagut, the Nesco comes with a wire rack. You can put in water and steam away. I even did some small batch boiling water canning in mine. The higher you turn the dial, the higher the temperature goes.

Your gerryrigging fascinates me. A rheostat would make a lot of sense to control the overly high "low" heat of the current CPs. Looking forward to your experiment!

Old 12-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Dawg, since it's called the Millenium, I'd guess you got it around 2000. Mine goes down to 150 degrees also and I remember getting mine when my first grand was a baby so that would be 20 years ago. It's not as pretty as it once was, but neither am I. We're both going strong though.

Ha ha! You're right about the year, Kay! I remember I bought it in Manitowauk, or was it Luddington, at their wonderful kitchen store.

Apparently Nescos have been around for even longer than yours has!
Old 12-04-2014, 07:05 PM   #34
Head Chef

Thanks Dawg, It seems that the Nesco's are much better suited for versatility in cooking then crock pots are and for not much more of an investment.

Sometimes being cheap up front costs you more in the long run.

The concept of the dimmer makes sense but as far as precise temp control goes I think it might be hit or miss.

I'd be more then happy to lower the temp of my current crock pots and if I destroy them in doing so then that's a small price to pay.

Bakechef's use of a timer is also something I've considered since my biggest complaint is that things seem to be overcooked. My concern with this is that letting foods sit at room temp before the cooking starts(The timer kicks in) and food safety. Don't want to be heating up a Witch's brew.

Toss it in in the AM and chow down at night(I get the browning of meats and prepping of other ingredients) without some sort of attention with what's going on in the pot simply seems like a pipe dream to me.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Ha ha! You're right about the year, Kay! I remember I bought it in Manitowauk, or was it Luddington, at their wonderful kitchen store.

Apparently Nescos have been around for even longer than yours has!
Nesco's have been around longer than me Dawg! Take a look at this one..

Vintage Nesco Electric Roaster Oven Catelog 118 1940's w Lidded Servers Nice | eBay

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Nesco's have been around longer than me Dawg! Take a look at this one..

Vintage Nesco Electric Roaster Oven Catelog 118 1940's w Lidded Servers Nice | eBay

Yes! I remember the church ladies having similar!
Old 12-04-2014, 09:13 PM   #37
Master Chef

If only expensive appliances lasted as long as Nesco's! My grandmother did her delectable turkey in hers.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:42 AM   #38
Master Chef

Yes, so did my late mother in law....she had her Nesco for I don't know how long....she roasted her turkeys in that big son of a gun and they always came out golden crispy.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:37 AM   #39
Assistant Cook

Just the thread I was looking for! :)

I'm planning to buy a slow cooker but they're not easy to find in Europe.

This one from Morphy Richards seems nice:

Flavour Savour 4.5L Digital Slow Cooker | Cooking & Baking Appliances

- It's easy to store, you can fit the base inside the pot

- 3 different functions: brown, stew and slow cook

- The stainless steel pot can be put on a conventional stove

- And my personal favourite: automatic keep warm function (for 2 hours, if I'm not mistaken)

User reviews on Amazon.com are positive but many complain that sometimes it burns the ingredients on the bottom.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #40
Head Chef

Flavio,

First Welcome to DC. They/We are an eclectic bunch.

Slow cookers are nice but since the food police have taken over they seem to have become the overcookers.

Be careful before you invest but only you know what's right for you.

I'm still playing with mine and haven't been impressed with the factory settings that come with them.

Tags
temperature