Deep Fryer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

g-ac-15

Assistant Cook
Deep fryer?

I've been thinking about buying a deep fryer. I did alot of reviews on them and was going to go with the Delongi roto model but than I was told about the emeril deep fryer from a good friend of mine who bought it a linen's and things for $150.00 with a 20% coup. Not so bad with the coupon. She told me she wouldn't trade it for the world especially for the feature of it recycles the oil for you up to 15 times and the whole unit is dishwasher safe EXCEPT the heating element. The only down time she says is that it takes 3 hours to recycle oil before you can clean the unit. To me that is no big deal just a legitamate excuse not to clean it right away. (Ha Ha)

Has anybody used this unit yet and if so can you give your opinions on it. I realize its only out about 3 or four months now. I would also appreciate any insight on other user's deep fryer encounters.

Thank You g-ac-15

That's a lot of money for a fryer. The only difference is the filtration/drainage system. You can get a very good fryer, with a larger oil capacity, for less money.

Check out this one.

I am not sure how you could use the oil up to 15 times. I am no expert on the matter, but oil breaks down a little more each time you use it. I would think 4 or 5 times would be the max, but again I am no expert.

I agree with GB about the oil use!!
To the OP, shop on Amazon, and particularly look in Today's Deals or the Outlet--or on Friday, the Friday Sale. There are some really nice fryers for a lot less than that--and I have to ask, how much will it be used. Iknow that when you DO use it you want it to do the job well, but on a cost basis, a different fryer might fill the bill.
And one that comes apart for cleaning is a really good feature, from what I have read on other boards.

I read bad reviews on the Euro-Pro deep fryer, and I have had nothing but bad experiences with DeLonghi products, so I bought myself the Philips Deep Fryer and have had nothing but good luck and good food with it. Every time I use it I recycle the oil myself by, after it cools of course, draining it back in to the plastic jug it came in through a funnel lined with a gold coffee filter. Depending I what I cook it the oil (usually potatoes, but sometimes fish or chicken) I can reuse it anywhere from 5 to 15 times.

Caine said:
I read bad reviews on the Euro-Pro deep fryer...

I've had the Euro Pro in the link above for sevral years and am completely happy with it. Granted this is just one person's experience. One of the things I like about it is the large oil capacity, That gives you a lot of residual heat retention so recovery time is less. This model holds 20 cups (5 quarts).

Andy M. said:
That's a lot of money for a fryer. The only difference is the filtration/drainage system. You can get a very good fryer, with a larger oil capacity, for less money.

Check out this one.

Andy

It has been years since an electric fryer graced one of my counter tops.
The darn things just would not get hot. Recovery time was dismal resulting in get-down-get-funky greasy fried foods! Are you saying this thing will get really hot, maintain, and recover quickly? If so..I may purchase one based on your word.
I warn you however my friend..If it is not what you say it is...your knee-caps are MINE!!!!:LOL:

Uncle Bob:

I'm not comparing my electric fryer to a pot full of oil on the stove top. I don't have the comparative info to do that.

What I'm saying is this:

Electric fryers ar limited in how much heat they can generate by the amount of power delivered to the standard kitchen outlet. That's usually 15 amps, maybe sometimes 20 amps. As a result, you can expect 1500-1800 watts of output for the fryer.

That being the equal starting point, a fryer with a larger oil capacity will not drop as much in temperature as one with smaller oil capacity, so I would lean towards a 5 or 6 liter oil capacity over one with a 3 or 4 liter capacity. Even though it will take longer for the oil to reach temp, it will do better once it does.

PS: My kneecaps aren't going anywhere.

I have one from Sam's, I recycle oil my self, or simply dump it. It was $49 bukcs, I also love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. Works just fine, and I have big family. No reason to go crazy. Unless you have money to waist. Good luck with whatever you get.

Thanks Andy for the information...I am sure the newer/modern fryers are light years ahead of the things I had once. I like the idea of larger capacity too.

Thank you again!

PS..You can keep your knee-caps!

When we were kids, the deep fryers back then were small and thick-wall insulated with a cloth-covered cord and had a small basket.

The bottom was black and the top was stainless steel or aluminum and had a heat control. You couldn't immerse the thing in any liquid because it was all one unit. Guess they don't make them like that any more.

I have the Delonghi and while it's ok, it really doesn't get quite hot enough. If I were to do it over I'd spend a bit more and get one that will really heat up. The model I have makes oil straining and storing very easy and it's easy to clean and I sure won't replace it at this point because I don't use it all that often. It's great for veggies, seafood and small foods but just doesn't get hot enough to do say fried chicken pieces.

just mho

For what it's worth, I am more than satisfied with my DeLonghi fryer.

As for the number of uses. It seems to to me to depend more on what is being fried. If there is a lot of crumbed or battered use, unless the oil is filtered, it will need to be replaced. If it used for potatoes, fries or chips, or other uses that don't produce as much pollution to the oil, it can be reused much more often than the four or five times suggested by GB. At least that is my experience.

skilletlicker said:
I love onion rings so much that the hassle of filtering the oil is the only reason I don't eat them every day.

I wish I hadn't read this post. Just going to have to find an excuse to do onion rings tonight...

Thank you everybody for your input. I actually purchased the emeril deep fryer yesterday. Here is what I found out the construction of the unit is top notch, and taking it completely apart and for dishwashing was a breeze and putting it back together also no problem. My wife and I tried it out last night and we made fresh french fries, frozen onion rings and chicken nuggets. I am very very pleased with the cooking of this unit. Ok now I woke up 2 hours ago and went to check the oil filtration system and to my amazement this is where this deep fryer stands out from others. The oil looks like it was never used. I pulled out the oil pan at the bottom of the unit and couldn't believe the job this unit did. I know other deep fryers can cost you alot in replacement filters, but not this one.
The bottom line the unit is 1700 watts and probably fries like a $50.00 unit, but the oil filtration devise in the unit is worth every penny I paid for this. I just took the clean oil out of the unit poured it in an empty bottle, took the machine apart and threw it in the dishwasher again (EXCEPT THE HEATING ELEMENT) total time for that 5 minutes.
Remember t I only used this unit once, but I will report back on this thread in the future to update my post.

Thank You For Reading This
g-ac-15

For those who might be interested in getting a new deep fryer, Presto STILL makes the Fry Baby, Fry Daddy and the Gran Pappy.

They also make the Options Multi-Cooker, which is the one that I have, and yes, it deep fries as well and has it's own basket. Visit Presto® Pressure Cookers and Electric Appliances for more info.

I also own the Turk N' Surf, a much larger deep fryer for 14-lb turkeys. But you probably won't want that one because it uses a lot of oil to deep fry and peanut oil is very expensive. I only used it once.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom