Finally got a dishwasher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I read the title of this thread I thought you had gotten married

lol, yep. Actually the wife had a spine surgery 6 months ago, so I have to do all the house chores as well as cooking and working FT. It's exhausting.

Taking care of a house, a dependent, and 2 dogs plus all the house work, yard work, shopping, cooking IS more than a FT job. Much respect to the house spouses out there.

I thought I wanted a Bosch - until I bought one. The spacing between the dish inserts in my model's are scaled more for fine china. We have a lot of stoneware, so it's like a jigsaw puzzle trying to fit things in. Then there is the "quiet". Sure it was quiet, until something broke and I had to call for service. They replaced a pump or something and the quiet resumed. This happened TWICE during the warranty period (manufacturer plus two years extended coverage). Just my luck to break again right after all the warranties were expired. So now I listen to a noisy dishwasher again. Now that most washers have a noise level of 50dB max there is no way I'd buy a Bosch again.

Don't forget the rinse aid. I guess on these modern dishwashers, it's super important...

I don't think it's as important as they try to tell you it is. We used the free bottle that came with the dishwasher, then it never gets filled again...
Depends on the washer. My danged Bosch has some sort of sensor that can tell if the rinse aid dispenser is empty, and then it runs the washer for an extra 11 minutes. My dishes are still coming out clean for the most part, but the interior of the machine is yucky. I'm now having to wash tea stains out of cups about every three cycles, though. BTW, I found an end-around to the extra time issue: I fill the dispenser with plain water. :D

The house came with an unusable dishwasher, I had it removed and put in shelves for beverages in the space. I've gone 56 years without one, what's a few more years?

We're hoping to get the kitchen renovated this year and add a built in one, so last year we just bought a used, portable one off of kijiji...100 bucks..it's in great shape and works like a charm...

I've had a bunch of dishwashers. 3 Bosch ones which were quiet but broke and when they broke they were too $$ to fix. A few other cheaper ones which didn't clean well.

Ive had a Kitchenaid for about 8 years now and it's great.

Two houses back we had the kitchen gutted and rebuilt from the bottom up, and had a KA dishwasher installed... loved it. That was our first quiet one. At the time, there weren't many options for quiet with a stainless steel tub, most brands only offered plastic. We figured that with what we were already spending on the remodel, a couple hundred more wasn't going to break the bank.

We're hoping to get the kitchen renovated this year and add a built in one, so last year we just bought a used, portable one off of kijiji...100 bucks..it's in great shape and works like a charm...

Be sure to get the regular 24 inch size and not the compact 18 inch size. This kitchen is kinda small, so the original owner (mother in law) spec'd out an 18 inch dishwasher to save a little space. The 18 inch ones cost twice as much and the selection is a lot more limited.

Two houses back we had the kitchen gutted and rebuilt from the bottom up, and had a KA dishwasher installed... loved it. That was our first quiet one. At the time, there weren't many options for quiet with a stainless steel tub, most brands only offered plastic. We figured that with what we were already spending on the remodel, a couple hundred more wasn't going to break the bank.

I've heard a lot of good things about Kitchen Aid dishwashers.

CD

We replaced our broken dishwasher in December. The old one cleaned well until it stopped heating water then it just died.

The new one does a phenomenal job I don't rinse, just scrape and I've yet to have dishes come out anything but sparkling.

Water quality and detergent makes all the difference in the world how well a dishwasher performs. Hard water really makes it difficult to get dishes clean, luckily we don't have hard water. I use either Finish Power Ball or Cascade Platinum packs with about equal results from both.

My dishwasher doesn't have a salt pellet depository to soften the water. I was wondering why I can't just toss a salt water pellet in for each load. Would that not work? BTW, I see that these pellets are only sold in the UK for some reason.

My dishwasher doesn't have a salt pellet depository to soften the water. I was wondering why I can't just toss a salt water pellet in for each load. Would that not work? BTW, I see that these pellets are only sold in the UK for some reason.
DH, the science teacher/administrator, thinks this would not be a good idea. Salt causes the dissolved ions in hard water to precipitate out, so this should happen before the water goes into the machine. Otherwise, you might get a crusty build-up inside the machine and the salt could possibly corrode the components.

This is all an educated guess, not based on experience, so take it for what it's worth [emoji2]

When we had our new dishwasher installed, the installer told me I needed an electrician to hook up the wires. I said, "I am an electrician", and proceeded to hook up the 3 wires, after turning the breaker off, of course.

I waited three years before I hooked up the existing one in our house. Then I wondered why I waited so long. Used it probably 5 times and it leaked from the screw holes on the bottom. It only took like 30 minutes to do a load which was nice.

We picked up a new one, lower-middle end Frigidaire to match our Frigidaire fridge. Oops, got home and the fridge is a Whirlpool. Same with the stove we bought at the same time. Probably should have looked first. lol.

We were all excited once we hooked it up, and stood and waited for it to get done. At least for the first hour or so, it took three hours to do a load. eek! We still like it, but that was an unexpected twist.

It does get them super clean which is the important thing.

Last edited:
I waited three years before I hooked up the existing one in our house. Then I wondered why I waited so long. Used it probably 5 times and it leaked from the screw holes on the bottom. It only took like 30 minutes to do a load which was nice.

We picked up a new one, lower-middle end Frigidaire to match our Frigidaire fridge. Oops, got home and the fridge is a Whirlpool. Same with the stove we bought at the same time. Probably should have looked first. lol.

We were all excited once we hooked it up, and stood and waited for it to get done. At least for the first hour or so, it took three hours to do a load. eek! We still like it, but that was an unexpected twist.

It does get them super clean which is the important thing.

Just an FYI.

Frigidaire is the American consumer and commercial home appliances brand subsidiary of European parent company Electrolux.
The Whirlpool company markets Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air and five other lesser known brands. The Whirlpool Corporation is the world's largest home appliance maker.

I own a Whirlpool fridge, good brand. Frigidaire is a good brand too.

3 hours to do a load? Really?

Last edited:

Sounds like the last clothes washer we had.... The washer spent more time "thinking" and "sensing" how to proceed with the load....
We got rid of the washer after the main circuit board went out and found out how much it cost to replace it. We went back to using a non-electronic washer (almost impossible to find these days) which does a whole load in under 30 minutes.....like the good old days...

Sounds like the last clothes washer we had.... The washer spent more time "thinking" and "sensing" how to proceed with the load....
We got rid of the washer after the main circuit board went out and found out how much it cost to replace it. We went back to using a non-electronic washer (almost impossible to find these days) which does a whole load in under 30 minutes.....like the good old days...

I remember the good old days.. We had a hand wringer washing machine on the back porch.. We were pretty high class.. The neighbor used a tub and washboard... :ohmy:

My mother moved to a small town with a small appliance store (family owned since the 1950's). They carry Speed Queen washers/dryers which are sort of a laundromat-grade brand. They weren't even that much more than the other Maytag/GE. etc. branded ones. I think maybe 15%.

But they are very simple -- none of those electronic panels with a gazillion functions. Just a simple rotary knob. She loves them. They also sell other brands, but one look at those and I recommended those to her. She kinda gets flustered with fancy electronic stuff so it's perfect for her.

We had a wringer washer when I was a kid - this lifetime. Mom got an automatic sometime in the early 1960s and was thrilled that she could leave the washer to go do other things...like clean house or cook. :ermm: No rest for the weary.

The house came with an unusable dishwasher, I had it removed and put in shelves for beverages in the space. I've gone 56 years without one, what's a few more years?

When dishwashers began to become the rage, The first time I stated that I wanted one, the answer I got was, "you already have two of them. One at the end of each arm."

Back
Top Bottom