"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 06-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
As PF said, pulsing is your answer. Keep an eye on it. Start with just a few pulses. Are the pieces small enough yet? No? Then a couple of more pulses. Continue in this manner until they are the size you can swallow them without chewing. Also, to keep your meals interesting, don't toss everything in together. Different foods require different amount of pulses. Soft veggies like green beans only require about three pulses, whereas meat requires more. For myself, I wouldn't put gravy in while processing. It only hastens the mushiness. Heat up the gravy in the zapper and add it after your food is on your plate.

If you pulse carefully, you can end up with a plate of food that is appealing and looks like it was meant for a toddler. Not a newborn.

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #12
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by jglazebrook View Post
Food processors are not really designed to mince meat... like you found, you end up with mush.

I noticed in my Kitchenaid food processor manual that you must FREEZE the meat first...not until its solid...only 30 mins or so... but the harder the meat is the better it will 'chop' instead of 'mush'.

Never actually tried it, but you may want to give it a go?
My Magimix chops meat very well. I don't get mush. Are you putting too much in at once?

Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote