Food Processor - I need good opinions/advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These weren't too thin. They were a bit stretchy, as though they had developed gluten. I made mashed potatoes in a blender, once. I got an incredible sticky mess. I had a Dickens of a time getting that blender clean. Boy did those potatoes hang together.

Now that I think about it. I don't think she added any liquid to those potatoes, just lots and lots of butter and cheese. The word I wanted was probably gloppy, not gloopy. :ROFLMAO:

Over-mixing mashed potatoes causes the cells to break and release lots of starch. This makes them gluey. I guess not adding milk makes gluey gloppy :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Over-mixing mashed potatoes causes the cells to break and release lots of starch. This makes them gluey. I guess not adding milk makes gluey gloppy :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Gluey, that's the word I was looking for.

I made mashed potatoes last night. I mashed them in the pot in which I cooked them. No big effort and only a masher extra to wash - not two bowls, blade, grating disk, and lid. :ermm:

Gluey, that's the word I was looking for.

I made mashed potatoes last night. I mashed them in the pot in which I cooked them. No big effort and only a masher extra to wash - not two bowls, blade, grating disk, and lid. :ermm:

I hope you left a small lump or two in them. The only way to make them. In the pot with a masher. :angel:

I hope you left a small lump or two in them. The only way to make them. In the pot with a masher. :angel:
I left tiny lumps. Stirling doesn't mind tiny lumps, but he really likes when I rice the potatoes and stir in the butter and milk. Can't be bothered doing that very often.
:angel:

...I rice the potatoes and stir in the butter and milk. Can't be bothered doing that very often.
:angel:

That's what I do. I don't like lumps where there aren't supposed to be any. They are, after all, called mashed potatoes, not partially mashed or lumpy potatoes.

I grew up in an era when lumps in the mashed potatoes were an indication the cook was lazy/didn't care. It was a cause for conversation.

Hello!
I need a better food processor. I have a 20 year old Cuisinart Little Pro Plus - need a big upgrade.

Here is why I need a new one:
1) My husband and I make all types of soups, chili, etc… I'm forever chopping away. I like to make larger batches so I can freeze a bunch. The frequency of which we are chopping made me pull out the Little Pro.
2) My husband has a nerve disorder that affects his hands. He likes to cook too and I'm worried about him cutting himself since his dexterity isn't the same as it used to be.
3) The Little Pro is too small for the quantities we are chopping.
4) The Little Pro doesn't chop evenly enough and although I've become a little better at pulsing, it chops either too much or too little. I think it's because the blade is on the bottom, but maybe it's because it's so small the food can't move around?

Features I want:
1) Good chopping for onion, carrot, celery, red peppers, etc… I wonder if having the chopping blade at the bottom of the Little Pro and on other Food Processors make it difficult to have an even consistency. I don't want the onions to turn into mush.
2) Slicing capability with the ability to adjust thickness.
3) Shredding. I think they all do that though with an attachment?
4) Are there features I might like that I'm not aware of?

What I'm looking at:
1) The Cuisinart Pro Line Dicing! At $600 I'm wondering if it's overkill for my needs. It seems to cut from the top, then the food drops below. I'm guessing that prevents over processing? But maybe that doesn't allow for fine tuning?
2) The Breville Sous Chef - but that has the blade on the bottom. It's 16 cup.
3) The Magimix Robot-Coupe - 16 cup. That must also have the blade on the bottom.
4) Any of the other Cuisinarts I would look at too.

Ok, so here is what I'm concerned about
1) I tend to always want to go for the best - which isn't a bad thing, except I have to pay for it. I'll be clear and say I do it, but money is always a consideration since it isn't growing out of my ears, I just don't like to buy junk. But is it necessary to get the top of the line for this?
2) I have a Vitamix blender, so I'm really not looking for that kind of pureeing, definitely more chopping and slicing.
3) So I make big batches of soup - perhaps in an 8 quart pot. Do I really need a 16 cup food processor or should I be getting something smaller? Would a 9 to a 14 cup be good instead?

I really didn't mean to make this a novel… So if you have read it to this point… THANK YOU! I would so appreciate any feedback and thoughts you have. I don't have endless counter space, but I think this is a necessity for us. I'll get the top on if need be, but would also be happy with a smaller one if that makes more sense.

THANKS!
Erika
I've had a big Magimix for over 30 years. Does everything from mixing and kneading bread dough to liquidising soups. The only thing mine doesn't do is whisk egg whites but the modern ones do. There is a removable blade in the bottom of the goblet to chop/mince/blend things and slicing and grating discs that fit on the top of the goblet to slice and grate things which you feed through the chute in he lid.. The modern ones have large and small goblets which must be useful (mine doesn't - it's too old!)

If it ever gives up the ghost I will replace it with another of the same make. Expensive but you get what you pay for. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Last edited:
That's what I do. I don't like lumps where there aren't supposed to be any. They are, after all, called mashed potatoes, not partially mashed or lumpy potatoes.

I grew up in an era when lumps in the mashed potatoes were an indication the cook was lazy/didn't care. It was a cause for conversation.
The latest "chef-y" thing seems to be lumpy mash. They are all at it.

We have a café locally which does THE most sublime mashed potatoes. One day I'm going to go in an order a plateful with nothing else.

I am looking at one of these. Cuisinart FP-14 Elite Collection 14-Cup Food Processor. I saw one today on Amazon for $189.99 including shipping, it looked like a good price, not sure.

I am wondering how well it works to chop meat. I would like to be able to chop small amounts of raw chicken and beef for use in recipes calling for ground beef. I would also like to be able to chop small amounts of cooked meat to make sandwich fillings, ravioli, croquettes etc...

Also I'm very confused about how Cuisinart bundles the products. How can I be sure I'm getting a complete set of the available options or what must have items should I be looking for. I will probably use it for small amounts of bread and pastry dough, basic chopping/shredding of vegetables and chopping small amounts of meat. My days of cooking for an army are behind me so I probably will never use the largest bowl.

Thanks for your help.

I am looking at one of these. Cuisinart FP-14 Elite Collection 14-Cup Food Processor. I saw one today on Amazon for $189.99 including shipping, it looked like a good price, not sure...

My days of cooking for an army are behind me so I probably will never use the largest bowl.

Thanks for your help.

So buy a smaller FP. They make 11-cup and 7-cup sizes too. They should all do the same things.

I am looking at one of these. Cuisinart FP-14 Elite Collection 14-Cup Food Processor. I saw one today on Amazon for $189.99 including shipping, it looked like a good price, not sure.

I am wondering how well it works to chop meat. I would like to be able to chop small amounts of raw chicken and beef for use in recipes calling for ground beef. I would also like to be able to chop small amounts of cooked meat to make sandwich fillings, ravioli, croquettes etc...

Also I'm very confused about how Cuisinart bundles the products. How can I be sure I'm getting a complete set of the available options or what must have items should I be looking for. I will probably use it for small amounts of bread and pastry dough, basic chopping/shredding of vegetables and chopping small amounts of meat. My days of cooking for an army are behind me so I probably will never use the largest bowl.

Thanks for your help.
I bought that one in November. I used it to chop meat once and it did a really nice job.

Are you sure you want a machine this big? Yes, it has three different sized bowls, but it's a biggun. You want a space on the counter where it can live. You don't want to be moving it around. You also need a space for the small (~8.5"x9.5"x7") chest for the blades, etc. But, that is light and easy to move around.

It has a nice, powerful motor and I really like it. But, I probably won't be using the shredding, etc. again any time soon. I'd rather use my mandolin or a knife. Clean up of the FP is a lot more effort than of the mandolin.

That top and a bowl will fill your dish drainer when you wash them. You also have to wash the top right away. There are lots of places that food could get stuck if it had a chance to dry on. I'm pretty sure the top can go on the top shelf of a dishwasher, but it doesn't fit on the top shelf of my dishwasher.

I was looking at the smaller ones and that is where I started to get very confused about the available options and the best price. It seemed like the larger one was complete with the various blades, bowls and the variable speed for dough. I would probably never go beyond 9 cups so the 11 cup with all of the options would be about right. Very confusing!

Thanks for your help.

I have the
Cuisinart DLC-2014N PowerPrep Plus 14-Cup Capacity Food Processor.
DH got it at Costco, I think it was $149
It only has one bowl, that has been fine for me. I haven't chopped meat. I have used it for dough and it worked great. DH nor I had really done any research, he just knew that I wanted a FP. So....
I would imagine that for one person, the 7 or 11 Cup models would be fine. I do know from reading reviews the model I have, has the most powerful motor, perhaps that would make a difference in chopping meat?

I bought my first FP in the 1970s. It was an inexpensive brand and chopped beef into grond beef with no problem. I don't think you'll have a problem with any of the Cuisinarts.

Back
Top Bottom