"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-16-2006, 06:17 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
LP (Liquid Propane) 90 pound tanks are similar to outdoor grill tanks, only bigger. I go through about two 90 pound tanks a year. Depends on how much canning I do. We keep two tanks at all times, so when one runs out, it is easy to get the other in gear quickly. Then I get the empty one replaced pronto. I have cooked on electric, wood, and gas. Must say, my favorite is wood, but had to give it up with the present house . So gas is my next favorite fuel to use. I never did give electric a fair chance though, didn't like it from the start.
Wood?? That must require a skill and talent most lack. Where is 'ahia'?

Old 10-16-2006, 06:44 PM   #32
Sous Chef

We tried to rent a house that had a wood stove, outhouse (with a window overlooking the Pacific Ocean), and only rudimentery electricity. There was also a propane cooktop. They turned us down, I showed up in heels and they thought we were "too city". I was so looking forward to it.

We had electric when I first go here - we pulled it out and put in a propane stove. Just before Thanksgiving last year my old gas stove died and we got a new one. Whoooooeeeee. It had two big power burners a regular burner and a tiny little simmer burner that would keep a pot of stock simmering all night.

Now that we're on the houseboat we've got a little apartment size plain Jane propane stove. I've adapted to it's size but I do miss my huge oversized oven. On the sailboat we've got an alcohol stove. Told Bob there will be nothing cooked on that stove. It's scary - you can't even see the flames - that makes it a very common cause of fires on boats. In the storage unit we have a gimballed propane stove a friend gave us to put on the sailboat - but it's not there yet.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:47 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
With reference to natural gas and propane, propane burns much hotter than does natural gas. 1 cubic foot of propane delivers about 2,500 Btu (British Thermal Units), while Natural gas, which is mostly methane, delivers about 1012 Btu per cubic foot.

So, propane is better than twice as hot as is natural gas.

Just so's ya knows.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Thanks for pointing that out, Goodweed; you are certainly correct volume for volume; it is a function of the relative densities of the two gasses. I should have been more explicit. What happens is that most ranges are designed with the less dense natural gas in mind. When you order the range for propane, they simply throttle back the gas pressure regulator and orifices to compensate. (I think there are a few exceptions nowadays.) That's why you'll see lower BTU ratings for the same range using propane vs. natural gas. What my grandfather did is order the unit for natural gas, and increase the available oxygen intake, thereby compensating for the higher density of the propane. He also did some modification of the pressure regulator, but I forget exactly what. At any rate, both stove and oven still perform very well, 70 years later.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:39 AM   #34
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
I have used both, but my homes have always had electric, (not by my choice). I've even spent time in the UK and had the experience of Aga radiant heat cooking. I prefer gas for top of stove cooking and convection for oven cooking. I am getting a dual fuel soon...about 9 weeks to go!
Robo410
What dual fuel range are you getting?
Thanks.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:49 AM   #35
Senior Cook

i grew up on electric. working in restaurants of course was all gas. when i moved to california, i had a great gas range, probably from the '50's. unfortunately, the name escapes me. somehow, "wedgewood" comes to mind, but i think it's wrong. anyway, it had two large and two small burners and a griddle in the middle, great for pancakes, homefries, etc. i'd say it was one of the best home model ranges ever built.

here in japan, gas is standard. i count myself fortunate in having not only a gas range, but also an oven as well. very rare here. baking is not part of the traditional repetoire here, so home baking is largely done in a combo microwave/electric convection oven.

my most adventurous cooking set up was when i lived for about a year as a "homesteader" in manhattan's lower east side. cooked and heated my apartment with a woodstove made out of a steel drum and fired up with waste wood from construction sites, chairs and tables people threw out, etc.

by the way, after a quick search, i found it. check out the 50's wedgewood 1/2 way down the page:
http://www.classicranges.com/store.html
Old 10-17-2006, 08:56 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Wood?? That must require a skill and talent most lack. Where is 'ahia'?
Cooking on a woodstove is a no brainer, the skill lies in managing the fire in the firebox, and that takes a wide range of skills. You need to know what woods will split, what the heat giving properties are of the various species, how to store seasoned wood, how to build and maintain a fire.

The cooking surface on a wood stove is incredible; large, flat, smooth, with varying degrees of hotness. I had three cookstoves in the 8 years I cooked with a wood stove, and all three had the firebox on the upper left side of the stove. The two " burners" bove the firewood box will be the hottest on the entire cooking surface, with the back "burner" being hotter than the front one. The last cookstove I had was a Home Comfort and a combination wood/gas stove. That stove was just the berries. I would keep a low fire in the firebox to simmer soups and such, but when I wanted to bake something in the oven, I only had to turn the dial to get the gas to heat the oven. Since the oven was partly pre-heated, it took very little gas to bump up the heat to 350 degrees F.

I live in the foothills of the Applachian Mountains and am surrounded by deciduous hardwood forests. Ahia is the local pronunciation for Ohio.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:59 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash
Robo410
What dual fuel range are you getting?
Thanks.
Wolf 36" ... 6 gas burners, 1 large double fan electric convection oven. The house will also have a wall oven, standard electric, and a microwave built in.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:41 AM   #38
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I grew up using a gas stove,but all of my apartments since I've been in college are electric.. AND I HATE THEM! The thing I hate worst about electric stoves is that the rings are so hard to keep level. After cleaning an electric stove (chore enough in itself) it's nearly impossible to insert the rings back in at all, much less at the exactly correct angle. So my favorite burner (yes, none of them heat the same, or evenly) sits about about a 10-degree angle, and my pans wont sit evenly on that burner anymore. Throw in the fact that it takes forever to get water boiling or maintain a good high heat, and you've got an appliance that I just dont get along with.

Whenever I build/purchase a new home, the first thing I'll be doing is building my dream kitchen. I'd like to have a gas range with 15,000 BTU burners, preferably 6 of them (though I don't know if they make tops with 6 burners), and double ovens. I also thought about having a deep fryer and a small griddle installed into my counter-tops, but I really need to think about those, because while they would make certain tasks so much easier, I just don't know if I would use them enough to justify having them built in.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:46 AM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by college_cook
...(though I don't know if they make tops with 6 burners), and double ovens...
Check out the post just before your last one.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #40
Assistant Cook

I have a ceramic top electric. Its easy to clean and pretty powerful. Wouldnt use anything else.