"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 01-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Question Help - Slippery grates on gas stove top!

I bought a new gas stove in August. It's a Kenmore and I really like it. The only thing I have had a problem with are the grates on top of the burners. They are a black, glossy finish and are very slippery. For example, when I use my stove top grill/griddle...it slides all over the place. I wonder why they don't make the grates in a rougher finish so this doesn't happen? Pans slide on it, too.

Is there a safe way to "rough up" the grates so they would be more stable, but not to rub the paint/finish off so they don't rust? Or I wonder if rougher replacement grates might be sold to replace the slick ones?

Anyone ever dealt with this and won??

AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Sous Chef
I think my stove was like that too! 5 years later, it's fine.

MostlyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Master Chef
Yep, my new stove was like that for a while, it's now not an issue. I'm sure they would get plenty of complaints if they were not glass smooth to begin with, because of cleaning issues.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
I was going to say, let me cook a few meals on it, they won't be slippery anymore

Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
Senior Cook
Well, I've had it since August. Don't you all think if the enamel coating was going to scuff up that it would have by now??
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Not necessarily....Depends on the amount of use...pots/pan material, etc.
Have you tried cleaning with Bar Keepers Friend or even Comet? Maybe even a light scrubbing with an SOS/Brillo pad...None of which would damage the grates, but may give you that needed "roughness" to give your pots and pans traction......
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
The slippery-ness of the burners may make using a two burner griddle a problem but it also makes it easier for you to move pots and pans around on the stove top.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
Head Chef
You might try spraying them with oven cleaner and leaving them in the sink for a while. I too had that problem with mine. But they don't do that any more. I never thought about why that might be but i do clean mine with oven cleaner.
joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
Assistant Cook
Annie: I too have same problem you are saying as i just bought this new Kenmore propane stove and love it all except i feel the height and slipperness of the burners is a danger. I was thinking of scouring them to make them rough but was not sure if they would look ugly or rust w/o a coating on them? I have always had Kenmore and cook only w/ propane but do not remember my older stovetops having grids that were so slick.
crystal2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
Head Chef
i find that if you overfill a pot with some good thick sauce... spaghetti is good..
and let it boil over a few times, then don't clean the grates, your problem goes away
You might have to repeat the process a few times.

;) ;) ;)

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote