"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-01-2005, 08:33 AM   #1
Executive Chef
 
AllenOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA, Oklahoma
Posts: 3,463
How do I clean a microwave after burrito explodes?

Yesterday, one of my step-sons decides to heat up a burrito in the microwave. I'm not sure how long he put it in for, but when I noticed it, there was smoke everywhere in the kitchen, and the burrito was a charred mess.

As a result, I know have a smokey smell in the microwave, and an orange residue on the bottom of the microwave. I took the tray out and cleaned it, and cleaned the microwave inside as best I could. I put a damp sponge in, gave it a minute to generate some steam, and used some 409 multi-cleaner with a green scrubbie to remove the stain. Most of it came up, but I still have some discoloration.

I know the smell will dissapate with time, but is there anything I can do for the discoloration?

__________________

__________________
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:41 AM   #2
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Australia, Australia
Posts: 186
to help with the smell put a glass of water in the microwave and put some lemon juice in and "cook" it for two minutes, it will also help loosen any gunk.

i'd try white vinegar, bicarbonate of soda or eucalptus oil - for some stains and stuff i reckon the old traditional stuff tends to work better!
__________________

__________________
Little Miss J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
I once had to clean an entire kitchen that had experienced a very smokey grease fire that left a layer of soot over everything. I used Spic 'N Span Pine as the cleaner. It cut through everyting and removed all smoke odor from the room. I had to disassemble the range hood and sand the metal bare. I have a friend who works as a painter at a car dealership and he shot it with white enamle paint for me. I replaced the fan and light wiring, put everything back to gether, and my kitchen was as good as new. I swear by Spic 'N Span Pine liquid for smoke clean-up.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.