"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 07-02-2009, 06:42 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutamykitchen View Post
Quick question! Does it get hot enough? I have a much cheaper indoor grill, I couldn't afford the Cuisinart and it just doesn't get hot enough. The temp. dial says it goes to 450 degrees, but I know it ain't that getting that hot. I can't even put grill marks on my hotdogs. Got a bonus coming in august from work and might want to get one.
Mine does get hot enough to inside grill a steak (and start smoking if I crank it up).

The only one thing that I've noticed is that the non-stick surface does not seem to stay intact very long. Your experiences may vary. If you go to here, you'll read a ton of reviews: Amazon.com: Cuisinart GR-4 Griddler: Home & Garden

Regards,

Bob

Old 07-02-2009, 06:47 AM   #12
Sous Chef

I've had one for a couple of months. I almost never use the grill plates because they're almost impossible to get clean. The griddle plates clean up all right if I soak them for a full day.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:30 AM   #13
Master Chef

Thanks Bob,
I have actually been looking at that one on Amazon.com and it's on my wishlist. I'll read the reviews also.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:28 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Kades, they WERE the best....the burgers not the grill plates LOL!

The best thing about this one is it is a panini maker, griddle (for pancakes, etc. and opens out flat), contact grill (like we used it on the burgers) or flat grill all in one! I don't think I will be using my fry pans very much for anything!

DH said though that now I have to start making bread again so I can make different kinds for the sandwiches. Good thing I have a large KE with a good dough hook!
Oh yes , nothing like home made bread for panini . I've used the No Knead bread , Italian bread , Cheese Bread , Kaiser Rolls for paninis, also Portugese rolls.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Liz Brooks
Wow very cool! I'm so jealous of your new foodie toy:)
Old 07-02-2009, 10:31 AM   #16
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
I've had one for a couple of months. I almost never use the grill plates because they're almost impossible to get clean. The griddle plates clean up all right if I soak them for a full day.
Of course I have only used it three times (I mean I just got it yesterday LOL!!!) and used the grill plates each time, but I found they cleaned up awesome with little effort, even with all that (yummy) mess from the burgers and onions! I didn't need to soak them at all. But time will tell I am sure.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Of course I have only used it three times (I mean I just got it yesterday LOL!!!) and used the grill plates each time, but I found they cleaned up awesome with little effort, even with all that (yummy) mess from the burgers and onions! I didn't need to soak them at all. But time will tell I am sure.
I'm glad it works for you. I've had problems since the day it was new. I have pretty much sworn off using the grill plates. They're currently still dirty after the portabello burger that I made earlier this week, despite a run thru the dishwasher and the time I spent at the sink using the scraper tool.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Jet - I've used mine for a couple of years so far. I agree the non-stick coating could have been of a higher quality, but I still love using it. I never put the plates in the dishwater, but it doesn't take to long to wash with a scratchless pad after if sits for 30 minutes or so after cooking. When I pull out the last food I'm cooking, I take two damped paper towels and set between the plates while I eat. Usually, what ever crusted to the cooking surface is softened over those 30 minutes of the heat and dampness.

Works for me :-)

Bob
Old 07-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #19
Certified Cake Maniac

Well, I had some more fun at lunch with it today. This time I made some ham paninis. The one on the left has cheddar and gouda and the one on the right fresh mozza and gouda. They were absolutely delicious! And clean-up of the grill plates was a breeze.

Jet, I am really sorry you are having problems with cleaning and I hope that it doesn't happen with mine any time soon. But at least I will have fun while it lasts!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0793.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	7333  

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperImproved View Post
Jet - I've used mine for a couple of years so far. I agree the non-stick coating could have been of a higher quality, but I still love using it. I never put the plates in the dishwater, but it doesn't take to long to wash with a scratchless pad after if sits for 30 minutes or so after cooking. When I pull out the last food I'm cooking, I take two damped paper towels and set between the plates while I eat. Usually, what ever crusted to the cooking surface is softened over those 30 minutes of the heat and dampness.

Works for me :-)

Bob
Interesting idea, I use something similar to get bugs and bird droppings off my car.