"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-17-2010, 11:14 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

PS...If you go the Kenmore route be advised their service is less than stellar...To speak with Service and Repair be prepared to speak Farsi...Indian...or whatever they speak in Pakistan etc...Much better to do business with a local small business repair shop......

Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Excellent advice everyone, thanks! I am finding myself falling into my same old habits of starting out thinking I can get away with a lower end model and then learning about all the features I want having to adjust my outlook. I really want a quieter model than what we have now as I often want to run it before going to bed, but it is very close to the kids bedrooms and I am always worried I would wake them if I ran it. A quiet model would enable me to run it when they are asleep and not have to worry. I thought I could get away without a SS tub, but maybe that is something I should spend the extra $ on if it is going to be that much of a difference in volume.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Look for a DW with a top shelf that is adjustable for height. It allows you to put in taller items like wine glasses.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I have a bosch also and really like it. I've had it at least two years so I'm sure the model is out of date. I have never had a problem with it. It gets hot enough to not only clean but sanitize and it is very quiet. When I purchased the dishwasher I looked at Consumer Reports and at the time it was highly rated. Everyone I know who has a Bosch is happy with it.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:52 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

I would love a Bosch. unfortunately I think those are going to be more than I want to spend. If it were my decision alone I would probably do it, but thankfully I have a wonderful wife who tries her best to keep my spending in check.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
...I have a wonderful wife who tries her best to keep my spending in check.
I hate when that happens. A guy has to have his toys.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I shop for the item I want, then I go to our local Appliance Wholesale and tell them what I am willing to pay for it We barter a little but I always get my appliances cheaper. In this economy you may be able to negotiate for what you want whether it be a kenmore or bosch. I know at both Sears and Lowes the manager has a little wiggle room.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

That is very good to know recipedirect. I will certainly be asking what they can do for me.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
That is very good to know recipedirect. I will certainly be asking what they can do for me.
I will be doing the same thing GB..This darn thing of mine is out to get me!! It makes me so angry to have re-wash things by hand after running a load in that thing. I don't over fill it,but it just laughs at me so it's going bye bye
kades
Old 03-17-2010, 04:25 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

LOL I know the feeling Kadesma. My wife used to laugh at me when I took a mug out of the cabinet because you never knew if there was going to be caked on food stuck to it.