"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-12-2006, 09:36 PM   #21
Senior Cook

I've got 3 (A really big one for the real tasks, a medium sized one, and a miniature one). The big one is my favorite. It's called a "Big Mouth" from Hamilton Beach. I usually wouldn't recommend an HB product since they aren't made all that great, but I love the design of it. You can stick whole veggies down it, no problem.

The medium sized one is a Cuisinart. I'm not really all that big on it, but it does the trick. And the smallest one is a Kitchenaid. It does what it's supposed to do--which isn't a whole heck of a lot given its size but it carries me through.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:33 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh
I've got 3 (A really big one for the real tasks, a medium sized one, and a miniature one). The big one is my favorite. It's called a "Big Mouth" from Hamilton Beach. I usually wouldn't recommend an HB product since they aren't made all that great, but I love the design of it. You can stick whole veggies down it, no problem.

The medium sized one is a Cuisinart. I'm not really all that big on it, but it does the trick. And the smallest one is a Kitchenaid. It does what it's supposed to do--which isn't a whole heck of a lot given its size but it carries me through.

Nothing against you at all, Poppinfresh, nor am I wishing any bad luck against you in any way, but the woman in the TV commercial proudly BOAST about the supposedly big motor in this machine having 450 watts. That's the size of the motor that's in my Electrolux Assistant DLX-2000 Stand Mixer.

Also, the ad claims that you don't need a knife at all to cut the fruits and veggies down to size before putting them in the wide feed tube.

Hmm, but I beg to differ - since a knife is STILL needed to help get the skin off an onion, or the seeds and cores out of the bell peppers, or even to peel things like kiwi, cheese in the rind, etc..

My K'Aid machine and the K'Aid model just below it can easily handle the jobs of those three that you own. because they both have three bowls in different sizes that can be used independantly of each other.

The regular large work bowl is for big jobs like chopping, slicing and shredding, the Chefs' bowl is about medium size for slicing and shredding and the Mini Bowl which comes with its own little chopping blade, is used for chopping small stuff like garlic cloves and herbs.

The way that it's set up is that the two smaller bowls fit right into the large 16-cup work bowl.

Again, not trying to put you down at all, but I think that my philosophy is, why have three machines to do the work of one very big heavy duty powerful monster?

Old 12-13-2006, 03:28 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Well, by not made well, I mean the guts of it--the little pieces. If you ever take a Hamilton Beach product apart, you'll see they use plastic screws and fittings, pot metal, etc.

Whereas a good Kitchenaid product will use metal screws and fittings and gauge metal. The durability of a Hamilton Beach is just lacking.

As for one machine to do the work of 3...in drills I agree. In kitchenware? Not so much. I'm the type of person that when I cook, I cook. I don't want to have to wash a food processor bowl 3 times. There are commercials for it? I found mine at Fred Meyer last Thanksgiving when I couldn't find the lid attachment for my old processor (lost it in a move, apparently).
Old 12-13-2006, 06:12 AM   #24
Sous Chef

I love my KA 11C with the smaller bowl feature for herbs and small jobs. Does everything I need done. A couple of years ago Fine Cooking did a comparison of FPs and it was the "favorite". But they also recommended a Black and Decker model for an economy FP--it was about $40.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:03 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh
Well, by not made well, I mean the guts of it--the little pieces. If you ever take a Hamilton Beach product apart, you'll see they use plastic screws and fittings, pot metal, etc.

Whereas a good Kitchenaid product will use metal screws and fittings and gauge metal. The durability of a Hamilton Beach is just lacking.

As for one machine to do the work of 3...in drills I agree. In kitchenware? Not so much. I'm the type of person that when I cook, I cook. I don't want to have to wash a food processor bowl 3 times. There are commercials for it? I found mine at Fred Meyer last Thanksgiving when I couldn't find the lid attachment for my old processor (lost it in a move, apparently).

Yes, you can very easily lose stuff during a move! It's happened to me a lot, and it's aggravating.

And yes, you're right about Hamilton Beach. I once had an HB stand mixer many years ago. The thing lasted only about a year, as the cheap flimsy plastic gears for the rotary beaters broke!

However, I DO have a waffle baker made by them. As for you not wanting to have to wash a FP'S work bowl three times, that is the same philosophy behind me having more than one bowl for both of my K'Aid Stand Mixers and my Electrolux Assistant DLX-2000, so great minds think alike on that one, hey?

Truth is, I love to own and use big powerful monster mixers and FP's that come with giant work bowls - and more than one at that!! You DO get more done in less time.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:13 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Heh!

You kept mentioning these food processors that had multiple bowls, and it got my curiosity picqued (I had never heard of such a thing). So I ran down to Macy's today and...boom, there it was.

Now I've got 4 food processors :P
Old 12-13-2006, 08:06 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Which one did you get?!!

Wait, let me guess. It HAS to be a K'Aid, because they're the only ones that Macy's sells that come with multiple bowls!!

Hopfully you got the one that has the wide-mouth feed tube.

Didn't mean to turn you away form the Big Mouth, but you'll discover that it's a good thing, and you'll wonder how you ever got along without it!!
Old 12-28-2006, 11:40 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
After the discussion about the newer crock-pots, I wonder what has happened to other appliances. Has quality been sacrificed, etc.? I still have my almost 30-year-old Cuisinart and am nearing the time to replace it. I really don't want to, but it's showing it's age and I think I should start doing my homework on what's out there. I'll be very interested to see what turns up on this thread. Keep talkin' everyone. I'm all ears.
Side Note - Katie E - Mine is also almost 30 years old - before I EVER start thinking about buying a new one I will buy a new thingy - you know - what you put the food in when you want to chop it! lol geez, I've lost my mind!!!!! Mine is also a Cuisinart. I bought my friend a Cuisinart a few years ago and it works great!!!!!

If, however, I were going to buy one now and money being no object, I'd seriously consider this.

Edited to say - no matter what you get just do a little homework, like you are here. Pick it up - it should be fairly heavy. A 7-cup will do nicely. If you cook for crowds think about an 11-cup. You will love whatever you get. If you go to Sam's or someplace similar you can get a fairly good deal and that product will last you long enough to get your money out of it I feel sure!!!!!

One thing - store all your blades OUT of your processor. My friend kept her metal blade in there and moved it jarring the blade loose. It was lodged in such a way that the lid wouldn't open - she had to work REALLY hard but finally got it open. Just keep all your blades in the holder!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:59 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
...If, however, I were going to buy one now and money being no object, I'd seriously consider this...
WOW, elf, that's a winner. I'll bet that's one of the best available! It seems to have all the extras and does everything. ...and only $495.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:18 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
It's pretty cool, isn't it Andy? Totally off-topic - I want these too I love the larger size of each piece!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote