Ice cream maker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smylietron

Cook
I'm considering picking up an ice cream maker, but I was wondering a couple things:

1) What's the best model? What I'd really like is a self-contained unit I could make ice cream whenever I want in, but realistically speaking I should get a freezer bowl type, unless there are affordable self-contained makers.

2) Is it really worth it? I mean, I love love LOVE ice cream, but if I'm not making it every weekend am I gonna feel burned by my purchase? Is the ice cream better than the stuff you get at the store?

I think you have a good take on it. I have a Cuisinart freeze the bowl type and it makes very good ice cream. I don't make it weekly.

It all depends on what you want to spend. The self-contained ones are a lot more expensive. With a little foresight to freeze the bowl and prepare the mix the day before, you don't really need the self-contained.

We have a Cuisinart ice cream maker, too. Probably one just like Andy's. We really like the ice cream it makes and I'm considering buying another bowl. That way I'll always have one in the freezer when the spirit moves usto make ice cream.

Third vote for the Cuisinart ice cream maker. Unlike Katie, I do NOT keep my ice cream bowl in the freezer - if I did I'd make it almost every week (not good for my bottom line).

I used to have a standard ice cream machine, electric powered. You know, the type that you add ice and salt to. It was a Rival 4 qt. As long as you made the mix the day before, no problem.

The main problem with making ice cream is your recipe. You need a good recipe, or you're not going to have good ice cream.

One thing to remember about store-bought vs. homemade ice cream, is that store-bought typically has some emulsifiers, like carrageenan (seaweed product), xantham gum, guar gum, etc., in the mix. These emulsifiers help the product remain stable, and prevent large ice crystals from forming in the mix as it chills. A good example of this, is to make some homemade ice cream, and let a little of that melt, with a little store-bought ice cream melting in a separate bowl next to the homemade. Most homemade ice creams are always "runnier" and thinner than a store-bought, as the emulsifiers help keep the liquid thick even after it melts.

Back
Top Bottom