"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-24-2006, 12:43 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Kenmore Elite Ceramic Gas Cooktop

I love the look of electric cooktops - however - I like to cook on gas. My girlfriend said she bought a Kenmore Elite Ceramic Gas Cooktop, Model #790-3307. She says this cooktop looks like an electric one - it is almost flush to the countertop. Her and I have spent the better part of our morning searching the internet for this - I'm dying to see it - because I want it!

Has anyone heard of this cooktop? Seen it? Anything? Any nibbles?

Old 03-24-2006, 12:52 PM   #2
Executive Chef

This is a cooktop that is similiar - but the cooktop I am looking for is more basic than this.

Miele
KM391BK
$ 1499.00

Save to Wishlist

Old 03-24-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Have you looked on the Sears website? If anyone is going to have it, they will.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:03 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Yes - we searched and searched - even by Model #. My girlfriend said even when she was looking to purchase hers, she didn't find it. She found it in the book in the store - weird, huh?
Old 03-24-2006, 01:11 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I guess you'll have to head for the store. Maybe it's an older model that' being phased out...
Old 03-24-2006, 01:13 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I found this - and check out the price! However, not elite - what does elite mean anyway?

Kenmore 30 in.32099 / 32094 / 32092 Gas Cooktop

Overall rating: This product has
not yet been reviewed.
We found this product at 1 store.The lowest base price is $250.00
Old 03-24-2006, 01:19 PM   #7
Executive Chef

kenmore makes a 6 burner 5 burner and 4 burner model...not all are flush...some have the drop in cooktop look. I am looking at them as a possibility. (I want 6 burner drop in cook top.)
Old 03-24-2006, 01:25 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I haven't heard of a drop in cooktop - do you mean the burners go into the cooktop?
Old 03-26-2006, 12:01 AM   #9
Master Chef

Elite is a name Kenmore decided to give to a line of it's appliances - like KitchenAid uses Artisan and Professional to distinguish between different models of their stand mixers.

I have never seen a "gas" cooktop that had a perfectly flat glass surface like electric (induction/conduction/infrared) models. And, the only time I have seen the terms ceramic/enamel/ceramic enamel used for a gas stove/stovetop refers to the bonding of a ceramic enamel to the surface of the metal - similar to the process LeCreuset (for one example) uses to bond ceramic/enamel to their cast iron and carbon steel pots-n-pans.

A "drop-in" cooktop is one where you have a cutout opening in a flat countertop surface and the cooktop "drops" into the hole - the surface of the cooktop is generally almost flush with the countertop (with the bottom of the unit extending into the cabinet space below) - with the burners and knobs being a little higher than the counter surface, naturally. You can compare this to a kitchen sink where they cut an opening in the counter for the sink and then "drop" it in.

My best suggestion would be to find out where your girlfriend got hers and start there. Some stores, like Sears/Montgomery Wards/RadioShack I know for sure, have things in their in-store catalog that they do not have on the web sites.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:27 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Michael - thanks so much for the information. Until I go into the store, the only cooktop that we found similar to hers is this one-a Kenmore but not Kenmore Elite. You are right - it is not all flush to the countertop . The grates sit directly on the cooktop - no drip pans. She said the name of her is the Kenmore Elite Ceramic Gas Cooktop. My son has been sick for two weeks - so I have not been able to get out of the house. I was just hoping since Sears is a national brand - I could find it somewhere on the internet - weird, isn't it?

Anyways, thank you for your help.