KitchenAid mixers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's true that the vast majority of the complaints I've read have been concerning making dough, which makes sense. Heck, it's hard on our hands when we do it so it's bound to test the mixer. Mine says up to 14 cups of white flour but I don't think I'd push it that hard. It also says to let the machine rest after 2 consecutive batches of dough - and I have the metal gears. But ya'll nailed it - most people don't take time to read the manual. (Although I don't mean the people who have truly gotten lemons - and there are some for sure.)

:)My manual also says to use speed 2 to mix or knead yeast doughs.Use of any other speed creates high potential for unit failure

Yeah, mine does also.

Guess the motto here is use it wisely and treat it nice, and the machine will last and last.

But treat it poorly and abuse it, you will definitely be setting it up for a major meltdown!

And I've NEVER gone over Speed 2 for a dough recipe.

The manual says to let the machine knead the dough for about 6 to 8 minutes. So I usually set the timer for that amount of time to avoid overbeating.

My favorite dough recipe is for Parkerhouse Rolls. So good!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I just thought of something;

There IS a warning in the manual that says if care isn't taken while cleaning, during scraping of the bowl or removing any of the beaters, serious injury or broken bones can result.

So I'd say that these two mixers have extremely durable gears, even though they ARE nylon.

Last edited:
well, thanks everyone. I will feel much better ordering the KA Pro 600 after reading everything you have said - however, it will have to wait for a while as I'm short cash right now! lol.

fyi-
I've also heard that the grain grinder attachment can cause problems if you don't use it correctly.
maybe we should start a thread about the attachments and see what people like/dislike, etc..... :)

You're welcome! That's a great idea!!

And since you've mentioned the grain mill attachment, be careful of the food grinder attachment as well. It almost killed my K-5SS Stand Mixer!!

man, THAT just makes me mad!!

why make the attachments if they don't work for all the mixers!!!!

I've heard problems with one of the pasta attachments - that you need three hands to use it! or the strands stick together....

I've already decided to get a separate grain grinder as I don't want to waste my time grinding it three times.

man, THAT just makes me mad!!

why make the attachments if they don't work for all the mixers!!!!

I've heard problems with one of the pasta attachments - that you need three hands to use it! or the strands stick together....

I've already decided to get a separate grain grinder as I don't want to waste my time grinding it three times.

On your last sentense, that's exactly what I did after returning the K'Aid grinder back to Cooking.com. I ordered a separate electric food grinder and an electric grain mill - to help keep undue strain off the mixers.

Of course, if you already have a food processor, THAT can suffice until you get
one.

Back
Top Bottom