Life without an oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matts girl

Cook
:(HELP! My oven selfishly died, been searching and saw 2 door, slide in ovens. Does anyone have one? Good or Bad idea?

Mattsgirl,

This is not good news ... Have you tried to contact the manufacturer for service repair --- to see if repair is possible ? or a trade in with payment plan ?

For me, this would be disasterous, as I prepare many Italian dishes in the oven.

Sorry for the dilemma.

Have a nice Sunday.
Margi.

Thanks Margi. Warrenty expired, of course. Nothing dies until that happens, right? No repair possible and yes, this is devistating! :mad:... Need opinions on standard slide ins...not sure if the ones with two ovens are actually large enough or functionable.:ohmy:UGH!

Thanks Margi. Warrenty expired, of course. Nothing dies until that happens, right? No repair possible and yes, this is devistating! :mad:... Need opinions on standard slide ins...not sure if the ones with two ovens are actually large enough or functionable.:ohmy:UGH!
hey matts girl
ahh,the age old question,is size important?,the age old answer,depends what you're gonna do with it & where you're gonna put it;):LOL:!!
over here we call them double ovens.obvious disadvantage is that if it is going to fit in the same space as your old oven neither oven can be as big as the old single oven,so i'd refer you to the age old answer above!
advantages are the smaller oven usually houses the grill(broiler?) so you can use 3 cooking techniques at the same time-stove top,broiler & oven,you can use both ovens at the same time for dishes that require different cooking times/temperatures,you can keep food/plates warm in one oven whilst cooking in the other.
if i've misunderstood what a slide in double door is,forget what i've just said:ROFLMAO:!!
harry

1cbc3df5-601b-411f-96c4-207d163639cb_300.jpg
This is what I was looking at. I don't know anyone that has the like. It's a standard sized free standing range.:huh:

Attachments

• 1cbc3df5-601b-411f-96c4-207d163639cb_300[1].jpg
    1cbc3df5-601b-411f-96c4-207d163639cb_300[1].jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
What you get with that range is two small ovens instead of one big one. You have to evaluate your cooking style before you decide. Do you do a big Thanksgiving turkey? Will it fit. OR Do you cook multiple different recipes that require different temps and times? This could work.

What you get with that range is two small ovens instead of one big one. You have to evaluate your cooking style before you decide. Do you do a big Thanksgiving turkey? Will it fit. OR Do you cook multiple different recipes that require different temps and times? This could work.
Good points Andy. It looks to me like you get more total oven volume with the two small ovens than with one big oven. There is no drawer underneath.

I think that Harry and Andy make a good point that the double oven version has to fit in the same space as the single oven version, so it logically follows that the the two ovens are going to be smaller than the original oven. Average consumer ovens are IMO just about the right size for the largest jobs like cooking a turkey. I wouldn't want to give up that larger size to have two independent ovens. I can hardly ever remember needing to bake or roast two things at different temperatures, and when I've cooked dissimilar things I've always been able to compromise the temperature setting and adjust the cooking times to get both things cooked correctly.

I don't have any experience with double ovens. Perhaps there's a way to turn the broiler compartment into a second oven, maybe a choice to provide direct heat from above for broiling, or indirect heat for baking/roasting. If they can do this then maybe the compromise for smaller size might not be as much. But speaking for myself I would not want to sacrifice much if any of the main oven size just for the dubious luxury of having two independent ovens.

MG I think you should compare how often you might want to cook a larger item (a turkey perhaps) in your main oven with how often you might want to be able to cook two things at different temperatures. If you can answer this question then it should lead you to the best choice.

You have all made great points. I believe I am going to physically put my eyes on one ASAP! From here it looks marvelous! I hope it does "in the flesh"! Thank you guys!:)

MG I think you should compare how often you might want to cook a larger item (a turkey perhaps) in your main oven with how often you might want to be able to cook two things at different temperatures. If you can answer this question then it should lead you to the best choice.
GG, that's a very valid point...all things considered, I live literally 3mins from the massive kitchen I work in and have full run of that incredible kitchen day or night, so I am covered if I need to cook a large bird. Mostly here at home, I am just "experimenting" on my family! I was considering the use of less energy if using only 1 of the ovens....a bit smaller...less energy? That's my thinking anyway....trying to read all the specs on said oven!

MG I think you should pay pretty close attention to specs. You might find the larger oven doesn't use appreciably energy difference than the smaller one. Much of the heat is probably lost in the walls, floor, back, top and door. An oven twice the volume does not require twice the walls, floor, back top and door, so escaping waste energy does not rise proportionately with the volume of the oven. (Keep in mind we're discussing an oven perhaps 10%-25% larger, not one twice the size; the difference may be miniscule.) Heating more air is the least of the problems; air heats quickly without much energy (more easily than water for example). Probably a lot of that energy gets used up heating what you are cooking, the turkey for example. The energy expended raising the temperature of a turkey from room temperature to 165 degrees is not going to be any different irrespective to the size of the oven.

I'm curious if you or anybody can give an example of a menu that requires two ovens because the temperature and cooking time of the individual dishes can't be adjusted to cook them at the same temperature. The examples I can imagine, perhaps cooking a turkey and at the same time cooking a loaf of bread or pie just don't impact me. Either (or both) the bread and pie could be cooked earlier and if you had to really have them oven fresh you could finish them off in the oven after the turkey is done.

I've never needed two ovens. Not ever. I'd like to see example of who has, and why?

Last edited:
I have two racks in my large oven. There really isn't room for another dish on the rack that has the large roasting pan. Sometimes the food in the large pan is large enough that there isn't really room for the second rack. I have occasionally wanted a second oven when baking a dessert at the same time as roasting meat and potatoes. Not just a difference in temperature, but also a space and timing concern.

I've never needed two ovens. Not ever. I'd like to see example of who has, and why?
GG, I was born, raised and remain in the south where everything is fried right down to pickles and oreos! I OTOH, hate fried foods and have tried to avoid them for my children! That said, I broil and bake ALOT! I think it would be very helpful to be able to do both at one time!:rolleyes: Interesting thought on your part about the energy!

And I agree with you Taxlady!:)

Hey MG as I began reading your post I wondered if you even needed an oven at all!

I like all cooking methods. I'm not too enamored of deep fried foods though. I believe it's good to keep them to a minimum. On the other hand I'm an Asian cuisine enthusiast and they have plenty of cooking where only a minimum of fats are used (stir frying) where the dishes can be very healthy, and often feature large amounts of healthy vegetables.

I think instead of broil 'n bake I'm more likely to grill 'n bake, using my oven in conjunction with an outdoor gas grill, perhaps to accomplish the same ends. You can often switch cooking methods from broil to barbecue or grill--after all it's just the difference of whether the heat is above or below.

I'm not certain of my energy related comments (and no expert) but I think I'm right about paying close attention to your specs. Unfortunately the information you need might not be evident from the specs alone.

Measure your space and head to Lowe's, Home Depot, Sears, Best Buy and look at all they have to offer. Grab up all the booklets they have on each and question, question, question. Take notes! Then walk away from the salesmen and think about it. Make your decision at home.

Back
Top Bottom