"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #11
Master Chef

Interesting

Old 01-28-2011, 12:58 AM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlicjosh View Post
I've looked at that thing a handful of times, I just can't get behind using it...people have tried to explain it to me and i'm like "you can't just take the time and do it the proper way?"
I can't think of anything that takes longer than sous vide, except maybe a Thousand Year Egg. In reality not only is sous vide often the right way, sometimes it's the only right way. There are some things that aren't possible with a lesser technology. For instance, there simply isn't any way to create an egg like that without extreme temperature control as there's only about a degree or two wide window that creates that texture. Literally a couple degrees higher and the yoke will set. Likewise there's no really other good way to cook a brisket for three days without it being overcooked.

Sous vide isn't the correct tool/technique for all occasions but it opens up some possibilities that can't be achieved any other way.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:05 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
I can't think of anything that takes longer than sous vide, except maybe a Thousand Year Egg. In reality not only is sous vide often the right way, sometimes it's the only right way. There are some things that aren't possible with a lesser technology. For instance, there simply isn't any way to create an egg like that without extreme temperature control as there's only about a degree or two wide window that creates that texture. Literally a couple degrees higher and the yoke will set. Likewise there's no really other good way to cook a brisket for three days without it being overcooked.

Sous vide isn't the correct tool/technique for all occasions but it opens up some possibilities that can't be achieved any other way.
true.
I really should have phrased it differently, I didn't mean "the right way" but I mean another way.
It's more of a personal thing, but I just don't see it being super useful in a standard house hold kitchen and really putting the money down for something I am not going to use very often.
I had the same issue when people asked me why I don't buy a Counter top mixer..i struggled with getting one for years and then I got one and still am lucky to use it 1 a month which makes me go "why did I put like 300 bucks into something I seldom use?"
I dont know..maybe it's just me
Old 01-28-2011, 02:17 AM   #14
Head Chef

Oh, I certainly don't think it's for everyone. But I'm a food geek and professional chef. I'm pretty interested in MG and food science. I foresee using it an awful lot- like 7 days a week for awhile! If some of the things work as well as I hope then I probably will cook something in it four or five times per week.

I feel you on the stand mixer. I have one and it's pretty expensive on a per use basis since I really don't reliably use it once a month. But when I do use it it's generally for something that would be a real pain to do without it. If it crapped out on me I honestly can't say if I'd replace it or not...probably wouldn't be a super high priority.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:19 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
Quote:
Oh, I certainly don't think it's for everyone. But I'm a food geek and professional chef. I'm pretty interested in MG and food science. I foresee using it an awful lot- like 7 days a week for awhile! If some of the things work as well as I hope then I probably will cook something in it four or five times per week.

I feel you on the stand mixer. I have one and it's pretty expensive on a per use basis since I really don't reliably use it once a month. But when I do use it it's generally for something that would be a real pain to do without it. If it crapped out on me I honestly can't say if I'd replace it or not...probably wouldn't be a super high priority.
I fully understand where you are coming from on a fellow geek/ food science level. I would LOVE to tinker with one, don't get me wrong about that..it's just an over all thing. Like EXACTLY the same as the mixer.
yeah, it comes in handy but is it practical for me as a chef?..then again..i do a lot of non practical stuff....hmm damn contradictions!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #16
Head Chef

So tempting, I have been drooling over it ever since I saw it used on Iron Chef. Would not be hard to talk DH into it .But I have not been able to Justify it (Yet)

Josie
Old 01-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #17
Admiral of the Texas Navy

I've heard of this method before but never really looked at it until you posted this. I've been checking them out. The whole process is very intriguing.

I'm wondering how practical this machine would be for very busy working schedules. Particularly, cooking vacuumed sealed raw portions from frozen pouches made over the weekend.

In a "take pouches out of the freezer and put them in the machine at 5:00am and have dinner plated and ready for 7:00pm"scenario would the machine have enough time to thaw, then fully cook the entrees?

Old 01-29-2011, 01:41 AM   #18
Head Chef

Yeah, it's supposed to work fine. You do need a bit more time but water conducts heat something like 40x better than air.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:21 AM   #19
Head Chef

I placed my order today...now the wait begins!
Old 02-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
I placed my order today...now the wait begins!
Whoo Hoo Rob!! Now, you do understand that we must all be invited to sample your creations, right? It sounds like you will have a ball with your latest toy. Trust me, there are sure more expensive and dangerous Boy Toys out there. Spoken by the widow of a drag boat racer.
Have fun Rob...

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote