Oven question - elec. v gas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah

Head Chef
I dont know if its the proper thread to ask this question,so admins please feel free to move the post to its proper place,if i did it wrong.
The question is,does baking in an electric oven have a different impact on the recipe than in a regular gas oven?Do we need to modify something in the recipe if using an electric oven or a change in utencils or pans should be taken place.I mean is an electric oven as good as a gas oven?well my gas oven is problemetic and my old tried and tested recipes have not been turning out good as they always used to,lately,which is because of the problem in oven off course,it needs to be fixed,i have no idea if its the heat distribution or what,thats creating problems and my recipes r not turning out as they always used to.So i'm thinking about buying a good electric oven.I was just wondering will it bake as perfect as a good gas oven?

Properly functioning gas and electric ovens both turn out excellent baked goods. Gas ovens generate a little moisture in the process of burning gas but that will have little or no effect on the majority of recipes.

It was once true that electric ovens were more accurate at maintaining proper temperatures but modern technology has taken care of that.

In my opinion, there is no reason for that home cook to be concerned about the heat source for ovens. Cooktops are aq different story...

The way that ovens are built, whatever small amount of moisture that comes from the burning of natural gas, circulates around the outside of the oven box and out the flue, never mixing with the air in the oven, so there is no difference in baking what-so-ever. The heat in your gas oven comes from the radiant heat of the oven walls, not directly from the heating of air by a gas burner.

Not strictly baking related, but I definitely prefer to broil in a gas oven vs. an electric. Imho, you just can't replicate the actual flame of a gas oven broiler. I use mine for cooking meats or quick browning the tops of pizzas, etc. So, if you broil, you may want to give that some thought.

I think Russellkhan's idea to get an oven thermometer is a good one, too.

everyone should use an oven thermometer ,ovens are often out up to 100 degrees Farenheit. I also use a through the door vrsion for the food internal temp.
I prefer gas cooktop electric wall oven.

Back
Top Bottom