Rachael Ray's Cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keltin, keep checking ebay. Sometimes you'll luck out and get a piece for a reasonable price. I got a small flat bottomed covered wok and a 1 qt. open sauce pan - the extent of my All Clad collection. I was at TJMaxx last week and saw a huge All Clad fry pan, a little scratched up - marked $299.99!

Keltin, keep checking ebay. Sometimes you'll luck out and get a piece for a reasonable price. I got a small flat bottomed covered wok and a 1 qt. open sauce pan - the extent of my All Clad collection. I was at TJMaxx last week and saw a huge All Clad fry pan, a little scratched up - marked $299.99!

The most expensive fry pan that All Clad makes (12 inch Copper Core) goes for $225 brand new.

You can find super duper discounts on All Clad at Cookware and More.

I'm sure whatever they are charging for it, much of the price is for the cachet of her name. You can get better quality product for less money.

And, when you buy All-Clad or Calphalon, you are not only paying for your pan, you are also paying for every pot and pan they give to television chef's, free fer nuthin, to use on their programs, so you can't win unless you buy no-name brands, which is exactly what I did. I bought Le Gourmet Chef's tri-ply stainless line, first receiving a 7 piece set as a birthday gift, then filling in whith other pieces over the years, for about 1/3 of the price of All-Clad, and, quality-wise they are every bit as good, with the same no-nonsesnse guarantee. Yes, they are made in China, but, so was Kwai Chang Caine!

They are saute pans -- with the straight sides.

That particular one is $340 at Cookware and More.

$200 in SS. And $140 for the more reasonable 4 quart model.

And even cheaper when they have a sale.

Maybe there should be a Cookware Police Force out there, because manufacturers just seem to call things whatever they like. What is being called a sauté pan on one site looks exactly like the chicken fryers I’ve always used.

Then, what is called a fry pan by some looks exactly like what others call a sauté pan.

Well, as long as it works well, I don’t care what they call it. :wacko:

That's been a real revelation to me, keltin. I seriously thought, based on the names of pots and pans, that I would need a particular pot to make the corresponding food. ie: paella pan to make paella, etc. Then I got to thinking, all cookware from a particular line will be made of the same materials in the same way, except of course non-stick lining or not. Just the dimensions and lids and handles vary. Obviously some pans lend themselves to making particular dishes more easily. But in a pinch, you can most things in any kind of pan as long as it will fit and you can do what you need to it (room to stir, swirl, lay out in a single layer, cover it, stick it in the oven).

And, when you buy All-Clad or Calphalon, you are not only paying for your pan, you are also paying for every pot and pan they give to television chef's, free fer nuthin, to use on their programs, so you can't win unless you buy no-name brands, which is exactly what I did. I bought Le Gourmet Chef's tri-ply stainless line, first receiving a 7 piece set as a birthday gift, then filling in whith other pieces over the years, for about 1/3 of the price of All-Clad, and, quality-wise they are every bit as good, with the same no-nonsesnse guarantee. Yes, they are made in China, but, so was Kwai Chang Caine!

very smart decision, imho. I was reading All-Clad's blurb about their "history," and wondered why I would want cookware to pass down for posterity?

Restaurant supply stores will gladly sell to home cooks, in case anyone didn't know that.

That's been a real revelation to me, keltin. I seriously thought, based on the names of pots and pans, that I would need a particular pot to make the corresponding food. ie: paella pan to make paella, etc.
Terry, interestingly, most of the pans sold in US as "paella pans" are not at all like what is used in Spain. They use a thin steel flatbottomed pan that is very wide and shallow. Material is a lot like a wok.... and the reason for this is that the rice is supposed to end up "crisp" on the bottom... form a crust. With most of the so-called "paella pans" I've seen, that result would not be possible. :doh::question:

I can't comment on the whole Rachael Ray line, but I do have the cast-iron dutch oven (which I won in a sweepstakes) and I love it!! It's great quality and well-designed.

I'd go with the porcelain for a change from my Calphalon. We have her plastic, heart shaped bowls, plates and cups, pot holders at our grocery store. Maybe I'll get them for Spring.

We have Revere Ware, stainless steel with copper bottom. We get looked down on a lot for owning it, but if you had seen what we were using before, it is a huge improvement.
We have been using it for 6 years, and DW maintains it meticulously as well as all my iron skillets. We have had no problems with it so far, and it still looks new and in great shape.
The best part? She worked for World Kitchen before becoming a Professional Gardener and they gave it to her for free. They get tons of samples from all over the place and from all kinds of manufacturers. In addition to tons of bake ware, measuring cups, measuring spoons etc we also got a complete set of Chicago Cutlery.
There was some other stuff they were going to give her as they are always trying to pawn off the samples (they had so many they were stacking them everywhere in the office), but they ended up having to put it in a locked closet as it came from China and they found it it contained lead.
If money were no object I still don't think I would go with something just for names sake, I would be more interested in consumer reviews and warranties as well as versatility and ease of use.
As for Roxys purchase of RR cookware, if she is happy with it, then I am happy for her as well and congratulate her on a purchase that apparently has brought her some joy.

Back
Top Bottom