"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 03-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #21
Assistant Cook
I just have a cheap rice cooker, you know the ones with the metal pot that gets all scratched up, lol. It works. One of these day I want to invest in a rice cooker with a ceramic pot.

InkedParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:44 PM   #22
Head Chef
Don't listen to the nay-sayers, especially those who don't own and have never used a rice cooker. These are wonderful and versatile appliances, a great time saver and far more convenient than having to watch a pot of rice cooking. It's set it and forget it, and the rice is perfect every time. That's why these gadgets are ubiquitous in Asian homes.

Mine is a National, which is the same as Panasonic. Look for one with "fuzzy logic." Mine is several years old, gets used frequently, and works great.

Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #23
Head Chef
I went to use my rice/veggie steamer and it would not work. I cooked my rice on the stove. I am not sure if I will replace it.
PattY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:05 AM   #24
Assistant Cook
Many kids on Guam learn how to cook rice before they are teens. Sticky rice is a daily staple here for all five meals of the day. We don't care much for the long-grain, loose style of cooking rice such as Uncle Bens and Rice a Roni.

I've gone through a few cookers in my life.

Yes the zojirushi is the best but not necessary as many other brands are just as good. I have a 4 cup Panasonic (hinged), a 10-cup generic (loose) and a 50-cup Thunder (loose, LPG).

To me the only difference between the hinged and unhinged is the keep time. The hinged ones usually have a warm setting and if you make rice at breakfast, it'll still be piping hot at lunch and still hot at dinner, though it might be the tiniest bit crusty. To avoid the yellowing that accompanies a long-held pot of rice in the hinged version, add a half-cap of vinegar to the water after rinsing.

The loose-lid variety tends to dry out the top of the rice a little faster and many do not have the "warm" setting.

While either is good for sticky calrose rice, I prefer my hinged for making brown rice.

They all generally work the same. A thermostat senses when the temperature goes above 212 degrees (when there is no more water left to boil) and then the gas or electricity is cut off. From there it needs time to sit.
GuamDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:50 PM   #25
Senior Cook
Mine is a Proctor Silex, It wasn't expensive. It works great. I can make 10 cups of rice in it and it turns out really nice every time. It's non-stick to boot so I have very little clean up with it.
JoZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:40 AM   #26
Master Chef
put one cup of rice in small pot (1 quart---double or triple recipe as needed and increase the pot size---one cup is equivalent to 3 cups cooked) I prefer the small grain myself, add twice the amount of water to whatever the amount you are using (research brown rice preparations as they are totally different) I'm not a big salt user so I/2 tsp and 1tbsp butter as well.....bring just to a boil (not roiling), turn down the heat, and simmer on low for 20 minutes...........rice cookers are A GODSEND.........buy one when you can...........
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:46 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

I have made so much rice in my Zojirushi. I have the 5 cup variety and always had it loaded with rice. It kept the rice looking good for days even though it rarely lasted that long. If you have kids in sports or a large family this is a perfect way to assure people have food. Excellent quality. Bought mine off craigslist for $20 bucks.
IronChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #28
Master Chef
Great deal, IronChris!!!
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Ours is a Toastmaster that I bought at a thrift store for $1. In addition to cooking all kinds of rice, I use it to steam vegetables and to cook legumes and grains. One of the handiest uses I've found is to cook potatoes for potato salad. The potatoes always get cooked perfectly and don't get waterlogged. I also don't have to babysit a pan of potatoes, so I can safely do something else while the potatoes are cooking. Our rice cooker is definitely not a "uni-tasker," as Alton Brown might say.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #30
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to meshoo96
have a black and decker rice cooker and although I like that the rice doesn't burn, there is a hole in the lid and I end up with hot, starchy water everywhere in the kitchen when I use it. I used to have a proctor silex one and it was great. I wouldn't buy the black and decker brand again.

No beans unless they are green or jelly...
meshoo96 is offline   Reply With Quote