"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-25-2006, 03:03 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie
Corey, since you provided that info to me, I got to looking around on the web for the word mullion. It stated that if it was extremely hot to check the compressor fan. Sure enough, the fan appeared not to be working. So I bought the part and replaced the fan motor and it now works!!! Corey, again, thanks so much! Otherwise I am sure something else would have went wrong and then I would really be paying out the wha-zoo for repairs. The fan motor ran me about $65 and took me about 45 minutes to replace.

Thanks Corey, and thanks to everyone else as well!!!!!!

You all are welcome!!

I'm just glad to help!

~Corey123.

Old 08-30-2006, 05:11 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
A service contract is a product appliance stores sell because they make money on it. That is, customers pay more for service contracts than what the store has to spend to honor them.

There are some products that are prone to failure and there are lemons out there, so some will benefit from a contract, overall, you will lose money on them.

I am talking about averages here. Some people benefit from having a SC and the store loses money on them. But, on the average, there is a profit to be had.

PS: Some stores buy an insurance policy or sell the contract to another provider so they have their money and don't care what happens.
Yea, I am not much for service contracts either..... I figure if I buy a quality product, then I should not have to worry to much about it. As you stated tho, there are the "lemons" out there that will burn you. I am definately not as pleased with the Kenmore brand as I once was!

Old 08-30-2006, 06:24 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Never buy an extended warranty either they just make moneyon it.A few years back when I was buying a new ford truck I declined an extended warranty from the salesman.The manager of the dealership called me and tried to talk me into it.I told him you just spent a week convincing me this is a great truck.So are you saying Im gonna have problems with it?Shut him up really quick.I was proud of my self since Im a girl I guess he thought I would fall for it.Still have that truck even after I got another last year and have never had a problem with.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:16 AM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Never buy an extended warranty either they just make moneyon it.A few years back when I was buying a new ford truck I declined an extended warranty from the salesman.The manager of the dealership called me and tried to talk me into it.I told him you just spent a week convincing me this is a great truck.So are you saying Im gonna have problems with it?Shut him up really quick.I was proud of my self since Im a girl I guess he thought I would fall for it.Still have that truck even after I got another last year and have never had a problem with.
That I would disagree with. My extended warranty saved my soul!! At the time manufacture warranties were 3 years/30,000 miles. Well, I was living in CA and knew how easily that could burn up. I purchased the extended warranty and was so glad. It covered me up to 10 years and 100,000 miles. It has saved me well and again what I paid for it on the first use. Granted, today's warranties are generally 10/100,000 but back then they weren't. Extended warranties on cars are the only things our family will buy.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:14 AM   #25
Executive Chef

I bought a one-year service contract on my Kenmore portable washer.

It was either that or pay almost a whopping $400.00 for a new transmission!!
So I chose the service contract.

And if the machine ever comes to the point where it is unrepairable during this period, Sears will replace the machine with a comparable model of up to $500.00 for nothing!

~Corey123.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:59 AM   #26
Master Chef

I guess either way, you buy a service contract and it may work out that it was the best thing you have ever done. But in most cases that I have experienced, I bought the contract and nothing EVER went wrong till after the contract ran out! Oh well!
Old 09-17-2006, 04:35 PM   #27
Executive Chef

That's a bummer!!

It's kind of like **** if you do and **** if you don't.

If the product breaks, then the service contract protects you from unexpected repair bills. And if the product holds up, you feel like you've wasted your money on the contract!

~Corey123.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:39 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Don't they sometimes give you the opportunity to buy a contract or pay the repair bill? It seems something we've had, that was the case.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:44 PM   #29
Executive Chef

I HAD that choice when my portable washer broke, but I bought the service contract instead, to save money.

It was going to cost me well over $400.00 to pay the repair bill, while buying the service contract only cost me about $187.00.

~Corey123.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:32 PM   #30
Head Chef

Talking

I have a regular refrigerator with the freezer on the top but I just phoned some of my neighbors who have side by side refrigerators. They have never heard of anything being hot when they open each side.

Check with the store where you bought the side by side and see if they can give you any info.

Jill and Jolie