"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 05-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Sodastream syrups?

Does anyone know if you can use the sodastream syrups without buying the sodastream? I thought of just buying a bottle of carbonated and adding syrup to it.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
Master Chef

of course, why not.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sure. You can even mix it with plain water for Koolaid stuff.

Though I just got a Sodastream, and love it.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I've done some research and we might get one in the future. I thought it's only benefit was making soda. I didn't realize how much cheaper or better for the environment it is. Even hubby is willing to reconsider.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sodastream syrups?

I got a great deal from Dining Downloads, and only paid $63 for the Genesis from Amazon with free shipping. The same machine today on Amazon is $97 plus shipping!

We really like the pink grapefruit, though the other flavors are good too. Haven't tried any of the colas or Dr. Peppers yet. I like that we don't use so many bottles.

You get a sample pack of a bunch of different flavors, I find it's best to just use a half of a sample per bottle.

I found gingerale, tonic, Half and Half (ice tea and lemonade), and Ocean Spray cranberry today at Walmart. No pink grapefruit but am looking forward to trying the new flavors!
Old 05-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
Master Chef

I used to work in a soda factory as a teen. We made syrup, and then the bottling machine simply added the syrup to the carbonated water. I've made soda from Kool-Aid and sugar, added to a clean soda bottle with a chip of dry ice. You have to release the pressure every twenty minutes or so to keep the bottle from bursting. I've also added vanilla and sugar to carbonated water to make cream soda.

A syrup made from stepped wintergreen leaves and sugar, plus a little brown sugar, added to carbonated water gives you a flavor very close to root beer.
Orange peel steeped in water and made into a syrup gives you orange soda. Add a little lemon peel and you get a flavor similar to Mountain Dew. Lemon and lime peels give you 7-Up flavor. I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

You can make your own syrups with grape juice, cherry, cranberry, apple, blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, etc. Let your imagination go wild. Have fun with it.

Try coconut and lime juice/peel for a Pina Colada soda flavor.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Ooh piña colada!
Old 05-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I bought a Soda Stream for Spike when it first came out. He loves it and only uses it for plain soda water. He then adds a squirt of lemon to it. The sample pack that came with it, I was the guinea pig for them. He made them and poured it into another bottle. Then it came to me. I found the taste to be as good as the name brand.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #9
Master Chef

We got ours for our daughters BD. We all love it. I actually buy simple syrup and mix it in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Old 05-20-2014, 12:20 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Does anybody know if you can just use the soda steam to make club soda? I am not a big soda pop drinker nor is DH, but I really like club soda, just on it's own. ( sometimes I like it with Scotch). ;)

Tags
syrup