Sodastream syrups?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairygirl69

Senior Cook
Does anyone know if you can use the sodastream syrups without buying the sodastream? I thought of just buying a bottle of carbonated and adding syrup to it.

Sure. You can even mix it with plain water for Koolaid stuff.

Though I just got a Sodastream, and love it.

I've done some research and we might get one in the future. I thought it's only benefit was making soda. I didn't realize how much cheaper or better for the environment it is. Even hubby is willing to reconsider.

I got a great deal from Dining Downloads, and only paid $63 for the Genesis from Amazon with free shipping. The same machine today on Amazon is $97 plus shipping!

We really like the pink grapefruit, though the other flavors are good too. Haven't tried any of the colas or Dr. Peppers yet. I like that we don't use so many bottles.

You get a sample pack of a bunch of different flavors, I find it's best to just use a half of a sample per bottle.

I found gingerale, tonic, Half and Half (ice tea and lemonade), and Ocean Spray cranberry today at Walmart. No pink grapefruit :( but am looking forward to trying the new flavors!

Last edited:
I used to work in a soda factory as a teen. We made syrup, and then the bottling machine simply added the syrup to the carbonated water. I've made soda from Kool-Aid and sugar, added to a clean soda bottle with a chip of dry ice. You have to release the pressure every twenty minutes or so to keep the bottle from bursting. I've also added vanilla and sugar to carbonated water to make cream soda.

A syrup made from stepped wintergreen leaves and sugar, plus a little brown sugar, added to carbonated water gives you a flavor very close to root beer.
Orange peel steeped in water and made into a syrup gives you orange soda. Add a little lemon peel and you get a flavor similar to Mountain Dew. Lemon and lime peels give you 7-Up flavor. I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

You can make your own syrups with grape juice, cherry, cranberry, apple, blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, etc. Let your imagination go wild. Have fun with it.

Try coconut and lime juice/peel for a Pina Colada soda flavor.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I bought a Soda Stream for Spike when it first came out. He loves it and only uses it for plain soda water. He then adds a squirt of lemon to it. The sample pack that came with it, I was the guinea pig for them. He made them and poured it into another bottle. Then it came to me. I found the taste to be as good as the name brand. :angel:

We got ours for our daughters BD. We all love it. I actually buy simple syrup and mix it in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Does anybody know if you can just use the soda steam to make club soda? I am not a big soda pop drinker nor is DH, but I really like club soda, just on it's own. ( sometimes I like it with Scotch). ;)

That's what it does, Bunny. It carbonates cold water, and then after it's carbonated, you pour in whatever flavoring you want and roll it around to mix it and make it into soda or whatever. It's fine without any flavoring.

Last edited:
Thanks Dawg, but without flavor it will taste like sparkling water right? Club soda actually has a different flavor, but I don't know what it is. :/. It wouldn't be a syrup as there is no sugar in club soda.
So, I just wonder if there is something you can add for that flavor.

CWS mentioned that she got a Soda Stream and was using it for club soda. I think most of the flavour comes from the dissolved carbon dioxide which becomes carbonic acid.

Thanks for the link Dawg. I may have to see if I can find a deal like you got. Otherwise the soda stream wouldn't be cost effective for us.

I like Seltzer, which does not contain sodium. Club soda does. I add vinegar (today it is Apple Cider vinegar with mother; yesterday it was black vinegar; the day before was cane vinegar). I also will add freshly squeezed tangerine/lime/lemon/grapefruit juice (not all together and not when I add vinegar!). I also just drink it straight without anything added. I love it this appliance. I take it with me when I go out to the farm...that tells you how much "bubble water" I drink. Which, btw, I read that carbonated water helps with weight loss because it makes you feel full.

Seltzer water is pure carbonated water, with no additives. Club soda is carbonated water to which certain minerals have been added to improve the flavor. Tonic water is carbonated water that has quinine added to it, and has a bitter flavor. It's used with gin.

For more info, look up "the difference between seltzer water, club soda, and tonic water in your favorite search engine.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out the link I posted, Chief, it does a great job of 'splainin'!

Tonic water also has sugar or other sweetener. Though I don't like the bitter, the sweet is just more than I can stand.

Back
Top Bottom