"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-23-2006, 04:29 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giotto1401
but is bigger better?
Well my answer to this will be...to a degree, yes. BUT there is sucha thing as too big. For me the 11 cup is perfect. 14 would be too big, take up too much counter space, but anything smaller than 11 would be too small. That is just for me though. Your needs might be completely different.

Old 01-23-2006, 04:37 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Giotto1401 Send a message via MSN to Giotto1401 Send a message via Yahoo to Giotto1401
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
ALSO, ship around because food processors are always on sale in brick and mortar stores and also on the internet.
Whats a brick and mortar store? Yeah I'm trying to be patient waiting for a sale. I got really lucky on my mixer. The Exchange(military department store) had the 6qt professional for $249. probably just returned by someone not the color i would have picked(Black), but couldnt pass it up. Now i need to come up with some color ideas to go with black for my future kitchen?

Old 01-23-2006, 04:38 PM   #13
Master Chef

Things that I do regularly with the food processor that I can't do (at least very well or easily) with a mixer:

Chop vegetables, nuts, etc.

Crumble bread, crackers for crumbs

Combine liquids, especially when you need them to emulisify like making salad dressing, mayo, and other condiments

Combine liquid and solid ingredients that must be chopped to make a paste, like pesto or tapenade or tzazki, or salsa. Or to make jelly or a filling of some sort. Or about a million other things.

Make a quick pie crust or short dough.

I have a blender, too and you can do some of this stuff with it, but I prefer the versatility of a food processor because you canalso slice and shred with it.

I honestly don't know how I could do without a food processor. It's the most indispensible thing in my kitchen.

Brick and Mortar store is just a physical store, as opposed to buying something mail order or over the internet. Macy's, for example, whoch always has sales.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:46 PM   #14
Master Chef

I have the mid 1980's equivalent of the 11 cup $159.99 Cuisinart shown here.

I think (tho not sure ) the $200 one has a more powerful motor, which you probably don;t need if you aren't going to make bread dough in it.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:46 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Giotto1401 Send a message via MSN to Giotto1401 Send a message via Yahoo to Giotto1401
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
I have a blender, too and you can do some of this stuff with it, but I prefer the versatility of a food processor because you canalso slice and shred with it.

I honestly don't know how I could do without a food processor. It's the most indispensible thing in my kitchen.
Cool what size do you have?
Old 01-23-2006, 04:51 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Well my answer to this will be...to a degree, yes. BUT there is sucha thing as too big. For me the 11 cup is perfect. 14 would be too big, take up too much counter space, but anything smaller than 11 would be too small. That is just for me though. Your needs might be completely different.
Im starting to believe that 11 cups will probably be fine. Counter space is becoming something of a commodity.
I read some feedback on the 14 cup kitchen aid processor small bowl leaking into the larger bowl, has anyone heard of that happening?
Old 01-23-2006, 05:37 PM   #17
Master Chef

how about this one: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...=-1&SKU=104749, both big and not too much money. I have one of them and am very happy. also I get coupons from them, I had a 20% off when i bought mine, I think it is great, I had an 11 cup, but always wanted to get bigger one, finally did last year, now I'm happy.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:22 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
how about this one: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...=-1&SKU=104749, both big and not too much money. I have one of them and am very happy. also I get coupons from them, I had a 20% off when i bought mine, I think it is great, I had an 11 cup, but always wanted to get bigger one, finally did last year, now I'm happy.
My only concern with that one is its reads like it has smaller motor in it. In its description it reads “heavy duty motor”. While the more expensive models with the same size bowl description reads "cusisnarts most powerful motor.” But I cant find anywhere that gives more detail about the motor. Not even cuisinarts web page.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:11 PM   #19
Executive Chef

There's a professional machine made by K'Aid. I heard that it's very good and very reliable. But it's also very expensive, costing upward of almost $500.00!

To see it, go to http://www.kitchenaid.com.

~Corey123.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:24 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I have a cheap one I'm happy with. I can't remember who made it but I got it from Walmart for 10.00. I can't afford the really good ones, but this one works just fine for me.