Which Food processor to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
urmaniac13 said:
If you are chopping for relatively small quantities, and if you do the "chopping" much more than than slicing, this would be a great choice... I use it almost everyday for chopping vegetables, nuts, also for whipping cream, mashed potatoes etc etc. very versatile and handy, and after using it there are only a few pieces to wash. I love it.

Urmaniac, I have the same thing! (Well, almost!) I just bought this one http://www.braun.com/global/products/fooddrink/foodpreparation/handprocessors/mr6000.html
two months ago and I LOVE it!

It's more powerful at 600 watts and has a tiny bowl attachment for really small jobs like chopping chilies. The stick hand blender has an anti-splash design. This also comes with a very useful ice crusher (for blended drinks and shakes)!

If any of you can afford it, get the K'Aid Pearl Metallic Food Processor.
I've ordered it and I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival!

It's probably the best and most powerful one that you can buy for home use.
It's of commercial quality and it can stand up to rough everyday use, especially if you run a small catering business or a small restaurant!

Try 1,000 watts of motor power. That's what this machine has. Pure raw commercial-type power for the most demanding home chef or gourmet cook!!!!!!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Back in 1982 I bought a Cuisinart DLC7 Pro. It's still running like a champ. I hope it doesn't have a crack in the bowl ever as I don't know if I can replace it!!!!:ohmy:

23 years....I would say I've gotten my $$ worth!!!

Giotto1401 said:
I hav a 6qt Kitchen aid stand mixer totally love it and I'm ready to buy my first food processor. I cook for my family & host allot. I also cook a meal or two per week for neighbors. I never regret bigger and better, but do i need bigger if i have a stand mixer already? Im looking at:

1. Kitchen aid 14 cup for $220 with lots of attachments. You get allot for the money but is it as good as a Cuisinart?
  2. Cuisinart 11 cup for $200. Not as many attachments and smaller. Is it that much better or am i paying for the name? If it that much better should i consider there 14 cup model?
  3. Viking 14 cup for $299. Love the look but is it worth $299 and about $100 more then i wanted to spend.
PS my first post never thought to look for a forum on cooking this sit looks great. :chef:

I'm not going to read all the posts. I love love love my large KA with the mini-bowl. It will perform as well as the Cuisinart--and apparently the Cuisinart does have a slight issue with ease of getting the top off.

fsuscotsman said:
Back in 1982 I bought a Cuisinart DLC7 Pro. It's still running like a champ. I hope it doesn't have a crack in the bowl ever as I don't know if I can replace it!!!!:ohmy:

23 years....I would say I've gotten my $$ worth!!!

I got the exact same model, and it still works, but the cover is now awfully difficult to lock in place - and to replace it, I'd probably need to replace to whole bowl assembly, which I'm not about to do.:mad:

It would cost over $100.00, prompting me to buy the K'Aid KPFP850PM Pearl Metallic Food Processor instead.:chef:

~Corey123.

I use the food processor mostly for chopping veggies, grinding crumbs and nuts, and little else. I have a Cuisinart Power Prep Plus, which I think is 14 cups, and a Cuisinart MiniPrep, which is great for chopping a lot of herbs and so forth. I've had 2 or 3 other Cuisinart models over the years, starting from around the time they first came out. I prefer the Power Prep because the bowl and all of its various parts are easier to assemble and disassemble than were the earlier models. I have a complete set of slicing and grating disks, which I bought for my old DLC7 (they fit the Power Prep).

All have worked well, never had a problem with any of them -- except for cracking around the safety interlock on one of the earlier models, but a replacement bowl was easy to find and not too expensive. If I were to replace the machine, I wouldn't even consider another brand, primarily because of my positive experience with my machines.

That said, I have to say I rarely use either machine. In short, they're a pain in the tush to assemble, disassemble, wash, dry, and put away. I use the MiniPrep more often then the big machine, mostly for making fresh bread crumbs or chopping a pile of herbs -- it's a lot simpler and has fewer parts to deal with than the big machine. Still, the bottom line is that I hardly ever have enough chopping to do to justify the trouble of using the machines. It's much faster to chop by hand unless I'm making something that calls for a ton of veggies -- carrot cake comes to mind, as does minestrone. What's more, I find that the machines produce somewhat uneven results -- there's some variance in the size of the pieces, and they tend to be irregularly shaped, particularly if I need anything other than a fine mince. I get much more uniform results with a knife, which is about 100 times easier and faster to set up, tear down, and clean.

So, here's my question for you: are you SURE you want one of these gadgets? It's probably the first thing I would part with if I had to reduce the size of my kitchen -- although I do like the Mini Prep for making crumbs, so I would keep it! Of course, if you do make things in large quantities, especially things that require a lot of chopping, they're great to have.

Last edited:
Yes, all 14-cup Cuisinart machines can accommodate another part as long as it's the exact same size.

But the Cuisinart that we once knew 20 years ago is not the same Cuisinart that we know today. Their products are now crap. Many Epinions.com members have wrote reviews on most of their products, complaining about the quality of them, or lack thereof.

And on the newwer more contoured models, the fedd tube seems to have gotten smaller. That's one of the reasons why I chose the K'Aid KFPF850PM. It has the widest feed tube in the industry!

~Corey123.

Back
Top Bottom