"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Who juices (vegetables)?

I gave away a juicer years ago since it was hard to clean; I am toying with the idea of juicing veggies as I know it's healthy; however haven't drunk juiced beets or spinach and am really a beginner here. (I have juiced carrots, though and liked it.)

So - what juicer do you like,and how easy is it to keep clean? Thanks !

Old 06-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
Sous Chef

No one, huh? OK. Maybe I'll just look around.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Head Chef

I use a juicer and love it, but it is a pain to clean, as they all are. Its the price I pay for being healthy. If you are truly serious about juicing then you get a masticating one or even a steamer, but they are expensive.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:00 AM   #4
Head Chef

We had a juicer many years ago, and ditched it for the same reason you did. Not sure if the technology has improved and they made them easier to keep clean. The only thing i juice now is apples. I bought myself and old fashioned apple cider press, which is even more of a pain in the butt to clean than the juicer. But, its the type of thing we use once or twice a year after going apple picking, so its more of a novelty than anything else/
Old 06-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Imho, juicing is such a good idea, and so good for the body that the benefits far outweigh the difficulty of cleaning. Besides, if you clean it right away, it really takes very little time. Just don't let the detritus dry inside the juicer.

I regularly juice equal parts of carrot, celery, parsley and spinach. I cannot imagine drinking spinach juice alone (very bitter) or carrot juice alone (faaar too sweet for me). However, this combination is really good as a general juice, and it tastes good (altho it's a weird color). That is to say, you are not juicing to rid yourself of a specific ailment.

Important to note that good juicers are expensive. Those little Juiceman Jr's are not worth the material they're made of.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Master Chef

I have Breville juicer, that I bought few years ago. There might be better ones on the market now. Though I never really juiced vegies, only carrots, mix with apple juice it is awesome. Unfortunately here in MN, everything is so dry, it takes a whole case of apples to make a half decent amount of juice.

June, what kind of juicer do you have/use?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
Sous Chef

I juice organic veggies, have for years. It came in more than handy about five years ago, when I was diagnosed with Hepatitis C. I went to the VA for treatment, but didn't know just when it would start, so I did what I know how to do. Got the Champion fired up, and went on a diet of vegetable juice. About a pint and a half a day of carrot, red beet with greens, celery, cilantro, spinach, ginger root. I started treatment two weeks after assessment, but continued my juice fast for a total of about two and a half months, along with smoothies made of banana, pineapple or papaya juice, raw organic coconut oil, hemp protein powder, crushed ginger and ice. My doctors and I credit this supplemental diet as a large part of my successful treatment, and it tasted good. I eat solid food, now, but still enjoy juicing often. During that treatment, btw, I wore out a Champion juicer (it was old), and had to replace the armature and bearings...much cheaper than a whole new machine, and easy if you're handy. The Champion takes about five minutes to clean, no matter how much juice you make, not a big deal. Might add that the pulp makes an excellent fiber supplement for batter breads and even soups.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
Master Chef

I have an Omega, but I realize that is not the best type. The centrifugal motion creates too much heat for maximum nutrition. However, right now it's what I've got. The Champion is much better, and my doc recommended another brand I can't think of the name right now, but used, on e-bay, it costs $3K! (waaaay out of my ballpark ).

Quote:
Might add that the pulp makes an excellent fiber supplement for batter breads and even soups.
Wow. I never thought of that, but I'll bet you're right. Is there any flavor left in that pulp, though?
Old 06-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
another brand I can't think of the name right now, but used, on e-bay, it costs $3K! (waaaay out of my ballpark ).
Ummm...that would probably be a Norwalk. The pulp from those is like sawdust. The pulp from the Champion retains enough flavor to be tasty as an ingredient. Carrots? Make a healthy, fiber-rich carrot cake!
Old 06-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
Ummm...that would probably be a Norwalk. The pulp from those is like sawdust. The pulp from the Champion retains enough flavor to be tasty as an ingredient. Carrots? Make a healthy, fiber-rich carrot cake!
That's it, Gadzooks.