"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I agree completely. My current washing machine is an older style with knobs, it swishes the clothes around in soap, rinses and spins. As long as they're still available, my next one will be too. I see absolutely no need for one with an onboard computer that can and will eventually fail. I don't need a front loader where I keep needing to clean the seal of mildew, and god forbid you close the door and grow a mold farm in there.

This is from someone who loves technology, but doesn't need it everywhere. Internet connected refrigerators, um, no...

Yeah, but it's so wicked cool to be able to control your appliances through your smartphone while you're on vacation. Not sure what you would do to them but you could.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I had a Whirlpool washer and dryer for 20 years. Never needed a repair for either one.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #13
Head Chef

This may not be exactly what you want BP----- but I nominate ANY electric stove top as the absolute worst appliance ever made.. That includes the newest smooth range tops too.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Yeah, but it's so wicked cool to be able to control your appliances through your smartphone while you're on vacation. Not sure what you would do to them but you could.
LOL, and I'd be the first one that my friends would expect to have one of these connected appliances!

I would like a connected thermostat, and water heater. It would be nice if I forgot to adjust them before going on vacation.

One thing I can't get into is security cameras, if I pulled them up and saw someone creeping around my house it would freak me out a bit. My co-worker can pull up his cameras on his phone.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #15
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
... I nominate ANY electric stove top as the absolute worst appliance ever made.
Huh?

Just a suggestion, but maybe further explanation would help illustrate your point, because I have no idea what your beef is. I've owned an electric stove for about ten years (replaced a gas stove) and have never had any problem with mine. It does exactly what it's designed to do.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Me too. I have used several electric stoves over the years and never a problem. Why electric stoves in particular?
Old 06-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I really like my glass top electric stove. It too does exactly what it's supposed to, and is very easy to clean.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #18
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I would like a connected thermostat, and water heater. It would be nice if I forgot to adjust them before going on vacation.
Same here. I think even remote electric locks would be useful. I don't know how many times I've left the house and wondered if I had locked all the doors.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:13 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Same here. I think even remote electric locks would be useful. I don't know how many times I've left the house and wondered if I had locked all the doors.
And windows!
Old 06-15-2014, 10:14 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

I would like a juicer that is easy to clean (read that, doesn't require being put in the dishwasher). I see a lot of juicers at the Goodwill and lots of friends have told me that they hated how hard they were to clean, so got rid of their juicers. Sure, one can get a Vita Mix, but that's a pretty pricey juicer for the average joe.

Tags
appliances