Requesting Feedback on Cooking Site Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcanterb

Assistant Cook
Hi, I had an idea for a cooking website and I thought I would get everyone's opinion on it. It's a website that allows chefs to host dinners and have people in the local area pay to attend. So, instead of going out to a restaraunt to eat, you could find a place in your area and book a seat at a home cooked meal. Likewise, if you enjoy cooking, you can earn a little extra money hosting dinners every so often. I think it would also be a great way to meet new people in the local area. What do you think?

P.S. It's called SoupNextDoor. You can read more about it by googling it. I don't really want to post a link to it because I'm more interested in feedback on the idea.

Does this jive with the local laws as far as people paying to eat somehwere? Seems like an area that might not be so gray with the local health laws, inspections and the like.
So if it's done on the sly, I'm not sure how much these hosters would want a website publishing their activity. That's my thoughts. I'm not saying that I don't agree with the idea, just that it might not be legal.

Yeah, I had thought about that. There seem to be allowances in most places for small scale things. I can't run a restaraunt out of my house, but I can throw dinner parties every so often (even in exchange for money). People can't walk in off the street and hand me money for food, but I can have small events with predefined people.

It is a bit of a gray area, but it's my opinion that the benefits outweigh the risks. I could be alone though. :angel:

You'd probably be just fine until the first person says you caused their food poisoning and sues you.

It sounds like it would violate health, zoning, all sorts of laws, but, I am not your mom.

It could work for high end exclusive clients if your home and skills are up to it or perhaps as a more modest cooking school where the students learn and eat.

I myself would pass on it unless it was above board. It does not seem fair to all of the other talented folks that play by the rules.

Thanks for your feedback everyone!

How would you feel if instead of the host cooking, everyone pitched in to pay a personal chef to come cook the food?

Thanks for your feedback everyone!

How would you feel if instead of the host cooking, everyone pitched in to pay a personal chef to come cook the food?

This would probably work better. People hire personal chefs to cook in their kitchens for them.

This would probably work better. People hire personal chefs to cook in their kitchens for them.

Agreed. Basically they could invite friends over and pay a catering charge, or a fee to have the chef come there.

Back
Top Bottom