What are your top five favourite Cookbooks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kinda late..but I said I would reply...In no certain order my 5 go to books

Southern Sideboards
Bayou Cuisine
How To eat Like a Southerner (And live to tell the tale)
Fish Cookery
Best of the Best (a series)

Non published...
My family recipe books (locked in a safe & guarded around the clock);)

Then there are several ethnic specific books I go to.....

Uncle Bob said:
Non published...My family recipe books (locked in a safe & guarded around the clock);)Then there are several ethnic specific books I go to.....
Hey Uncle Bob, is well-guarded safe fireproof as well? In case it isn't, don't you think that you should back up your family treasures by way of wider dissemination, eg. by posting here, just in case? After all, online backup is very much involved these days.;)

:LOL:

Fireproof it is....

I have already "gone to the safe" twice on here!!
Did you miss them? So sorry!!:LOL:

Seriously..I do have hard copies in a safe deposit box!!
Now that I think about it....my banker and his wife have put on a lot of weight lately......

Uncle Bob, you can't blame me for trying. At least I can sleep better now secure in the knowledge that the family secrets will trickle out over time albeit a drop at a time as it seems.:(

boufa06....

Nawww I don't blame you....would have tried the same scheme myself:LOL:

The majority of them are not "new inventions" just TNT stuff...that are ..."Often imitated but never duplicated";)

Top 5 huh, well;

(1). Cookwise Shirley O Corriher
(2). On Food and Cooking Harold McGee
(3). The Pie and Pastry Bible Rose Levy Beranbaum
(4). Cake Bible author same as #3.
(5). The Advanced Professional Pastry Chef Bo Friberg
The Professional Pastry Chef Bo Friberg

My favorite cookbooks change, right now I'd say the Professional Chef and Bread Baker's Apprentice.

1-Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen.
2-Paul Prudhomme's Seasoned America.
3-Jeff Smith's The Frugal Gourmet on our Immigrant Ancestors.
4-The Internet.
5-Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles cookbook.

Ayrton said:
Joy of Cooking (older edition)
Claudia Roden book on Middle Eastern cooking
Moosewood
Paradisi (in Greek)
Helen Chen's Chinese Home Cooking

I love the Moosewood Cookbook. Is this collection of recipes based on the Moosewood Resort? I read it every couple of years and I don't want to go digging for it right now.

StirBlue said:
I love the Moosewood Cookbook. Is this collection of recipes based on the Moosewood Resort? I read it every couple of years and I don't want to go digging for it right now.
The restaurant, yes.

I think the best cookbooks ever compiled are the Brand Name Cookbooks. I opened my recipe scrapebook drawer and tossed everything listed in the books. Now I can just open one of the books and check for the recipe before I cut it from the container. Better yet, I no longer have duplicate recipes saved. Well I finally got that drawer organized. lol

StirBlue said:

Moosewood is a fabulous restaurant in Ithaca NY, the town where my parents have retired to. The college town of Cornell and Ithaca college. I have visited Ithaca every summer since I was a child. A very special town full of all kinds of differents cultures and therefore different ethnic foods, beautiful gorges, etc.

Joy of Cooking
Jamie Oliver - Jamie's Italy
Delia's Vegetarian Collection
Vegetarian Express - Rose Elliot
Vegetarian Planet - Didi Emmons

I want a cookbook that is all about PIE next!! :chef:

Here is my current top 5:

King Arthur Flour Baking Book
Once Upon a Tart
Baking with Julia
The Barefoot Contessa
The Martha Stewart Cookbook

I go through phases where I will favor one book over another. I have many many cookbooks. Boxes in the basement and I go down there and dig through them and occassionally rotate them into action.

Judging by how often I use them (as opposed to which are simply pretty, interesting to read, etc) to actually cook:
Joy of Cooking
Betty Crocker
Cooking with Julia and Jacques
Frugal Gourmet/Immigrant Ancestors version
The Romagnolis' Table

But like most of us here, I have hundreds, and they all have their uses!

America's Test Kitchen , Ciao Italia, 3 Ingriedient Cookbook, and my real old Betty Crocker cookbook.

Larousse Gastronomique
Julia Child's mastering the art of French cooking
The Escoffier
Pellaprat the Grand book of French cuisine
Jaques Pepin's Complete Techniques

Back
Top Bottom