Do you use a zester?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use one of those apple peelers. You know the ones that rotate the apple and the little cutter is on a threaded rod? The cutter works it's way down the lemon, orange or whatever. I get one really long zest. Then I throw it in the blender with 1/4 cup of spring water, pulse a few times and then strain the fine zest out through the copper filter from my coffee maker. I find this works really well.

"NOT"

Hey, it's only 5:30 AM and I'm already on the train and needed a chuckle. Thought I'd share.

I have a zester and thought that it was the cat's meow. Now Y'all have taught me about microplanes and I thank you. They look really cool and I now have to have one.

Good Morning all - AC

They did a thing on microplanes on one of the morning news shows and they pointed out that you can buy them cheaper at hardware stores, like this. What's funny if you go to the microplane.com site, they kitchen tools are more expensive than the woodworking tools.

They did a thing on microplanes on one of the morning news shows and they pointed out that you can buy them cheaper at hardware stores, like this. What's funny if you go to the microplane.com site, they kitchen tools are more expensive than the woodworking tools.

Most are not stainless steel or dishwasher safe. Stick to the kitchen store.

Most are not stainless steel or dishwasher safe. Stick to the kitchen store.
Microplane is a brand and theirs do seem to be, they just have different shaped on the wood working side.

The show I saw said it was perfectly safe to use the ones from the hardware stores, and they recommended it to save money and get a wider variety of sizes, that there is no difference if taken care of properly.

Microplane is a brand and theirs do seem to be, they just have different shaped on the wood working side.

I know what they are, I have a drawer fill of them in my workshop.

The show I saw said it was perfectly safe to use the ones from the hardware stores, and they recommended it to save money and get a wider variety of sizes, that there is no difference if taken care of properly.

Here's one made for food $8.99. Just shop around. That's why Microplane offers food safe models and woodworking models. The difference is in the construction materials, not the shape of the blade.

I use a zester for zesting citrus peel and parmesan cheese. I keep telling myself I need to buy a microplane but when it comes down to it I can't seem to spend the $11.99 for one. Thats the cheapest I found at Bath & Beyond for a nice one. I really do like my zester though for parmesan cheese. I think I'll try looking at the hardware store for a good one as Callisto suggested.

I know what they are, I have a drawer fill of them in my workshop.
Glad you know. Others may not.

Here's one made for food $8.99. Just shop around. That's why Microplane offers food safe models and woodworking models. The difference is in the construction materials, not the shape of the blade.
The point that you seem to choose to dismiss is that you can get them from a hardware, without paying $$$$ up the ying yang plus shipping which can also be expensive, and they are perfectly safe to use.

Additionally, I said nothing about shape, I said size, i.e. width and length.

What's that supposed to mean?

I think Jeekinz was attempting to use a humorous reference (Tim Allen and his popular TV sitcom show, Home Improvement - his show on the show "Tool TIme" and how his character uses, or rather misuses, tools) to make the statement that some people are getting way too testy and taking this thread way too personal if someone doesn't agree with what someone else uses, where they bought it, what they paid for it, etc.

zest: The outermost part of the rind of an orange, lemon, lime or other citrus fruit, used as flavoring

zester: a tool used to remove the outermost part of the rind of an orange, lemon, lime or other citrus fruit, used as flavoring

You can use a vegetable peeler for wide strips of zest (we used to do that when I was tending bar so when we added a twist to get the essential oil out of of the zest we were not getting the bitter oils from the pith - and we needed something wide enough to "twist"), you can use a "zester" that strips off thin (like a chiffonade) strips of zest (you can do the same thing with a vegetable peeler and a chef's knife), you can use the fine grating side of a box grater for grated zest ... the "microplane" is just the latest tool to create "grated" zest - easier and more efficient to use than the box grater.

When the TV chefs first started using, and promoting, the microplane for zesting and grating hard cheeses - they were buying them in hardware stores - they were just replacement blades for a wood shaping tool - they didn't come with handles.

There is more than one way to zest an orange/lemon/lime ...

I think Jeekinz was attempting to use a humorous reference (Tim Allen and his popular TV sitcom show, Home Improvement - his show on the show "Tool TIme" and how his character uses, or rather misuses, tools) to make the statement that some people are getting way too testy and taking this thread way too personal if someone doesn't agree with what someone else uses, where they bought it, what they paid for it, etc.

zest: The outermost part of the rind of an orange, lemon, lime or other citrus fruit, used as flavoring

zester: a tool used to remove the outermost part of the rind of an orange, lemon, lime or other citrus fruit, used as flavoring

You can use a vegetable peeler for wide strips of zest (we used to do that when I was tending bar so when we added a twist to get the essential oil out of of the zest we were not getting the bitter oils from the pith - and we needed something wide enough to "twist"), you can use a "zester" that strips off thin (like a chiffonade) strips of zest (you can do the same thing with a vegetable peeler and a chef's knife), you can use the fine grating side of a box grater for grated zest ... the "microplane" is just the latest tool to create "grated" zest - easier and more efficient to use than the box grater.

When the TV chefs first started using, and promoting, the microplane for zesting and grating hard cheeses - they were buying them in hardware stores - they were just replacement blades for a wood shaping tool - they didn't come with handles.

There is more than one way to zest an orange/lemon/lime ...

hOW COME WHEN I said that's what I do, I got all kinds of flack ?

hOW COME WHEN I said that's what I do, I got all kinds of flack ?

No one is giving you flack. We were suggesting different ways of zesting that may be easier and more efficient. Use the peeler to your heart's content if you want to, but y'all gotta chill out. (Did I really say "y'all"? :LOL:)

To truly zest, and keep as many of those essential oils you can (essential oils equate to flavor) a microplane (or other brand but same basic principle - you have the pictures) should be used. Once you chop your piece you used your vegetable peeler on I would imagine most of those oils would be on your cutting board. If it were me, I would search the net for one on a kitchen site, or go to any kitchen store, and buy one (save on shipping and handling). A small one will work fine - I have a long one and it's a lot of wasted space.

Surely we have "helped" as much as possible with this question. MW - I'll pick you up in 10 minutes and we'll go shopping - :clap:

A reply from Microplane:

Thank you for your interest in our products . Yes you can use the wood tool for kitchen but I caution you that the wood tool is made out of heavier metal and might rust and the kitchen tool is softer metal but it will not rust . I hope I have answered your question . If there is anything else I can do let me know .Have a grate weekend .

I can forward the original email if anyone wants it.

Back
Top Bottom