Eliminating Counter Top Spice Rack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't know what happened, the dinner picture from last night is still up. Trying again.

kGTM1UQ8ZceNvs8Ud3-dffPBExZ_ctNN-UCAZ20q9fgpX92IB

a8UXuyGX-zQ68afgKxRcseG-qsZSS2-CS513Z_NU_CgpX92IB

Still can't see pics. May have something to do with the site they are hosted on? (content-na.drive.amazonaws.com)

Still can't see pics. May have something to do with the site they are hosted on? (content-na.drive.amazonaws.com)
I can see them. Have you tried clearing the cache in your browser? Or, if you're using the app, you can clear the cache on your device and also in the app itself, then restart.

Eliminating counter top spice rack

I have a huge collection of spices. I purchased a cupboard spice rack, where each spice jar nestles into a rack. The rack holds ten average sized containers of glass (round) spice jars. The spice rack has three layers and fits into a normal size cupboard. So, three racks of spices equals 30 regular jars. I buy a lot from Penzy's, and they sell 1-3 oz containers. Those are small enough to fit 20 jars per shelf. Do the math. It comes from a Miles Kimball catalog.

I have a huge collection of spices. I purchased a cupboard spice rack, where each spice jar nestles into a rack. The rack holds ten average sized containers of glass (round) spice jars. The spice rack has three layers and fits into a normal size cupboard. So, three racks of spices equals 30 regular jars. I buy a lot from Penzy's, and they sell 1-3 oz containers. Those are small enough to fit 20 jars per shelf. Do the math. It comes from a Miles Kimball catalog.
I hate math. Can you just give me the answer? ;)

It can hold up to 20 small jars of spices. Three racks in the box shaped container. That gives you space for 30 large or 60 small spice jars. I have a mixture of each depending on the amount of spice that I want on hand.

It can hold up to 20 small jars of spices. Three racks in the box shaped container. That gives you space for 30 large or 60 small spice jars. I have a mixture of each depending on the amount of spice that I want on hand.
I just counted the spices on the bottom shelf of my cabinet: 32. I have two more shelves in that cabinet, plus my baking spices in another cabinet. I'm still looking for the best storage method, but this has been working okay so far! [emoji38]

Lets see if three times a charm.:ohmy:

36788-albums322-picture6923.jpg

Can a Mod move these to my OP? Thanks

Last edited:
That is a great picture of your spice rack. Is it kept on the counter? Where did you get it? Does it mean that you fill each bottle from the original container? What happens with the leftover spices that do not fit in the pretty jars? I will post a picture of my spice rack as soon as I figure out how.

That is a great picture of your spice rack. Is it kept on the counter? Where did you get it? Does it mean that you fill each bottle from the original container? What happens with the leftover spices that do not fit in the pretty jars? I will post a picture of my spice rack as soon as I figure out how.

Are you asking me about our fridge mounted spice jars or are you asking someone else about their spice rack? If you're asking me, then no it isn't on the counter and there isn't a rack. Each jar is magnetically attached to the fridge. We have large containers of the spices/herbs we most often use in the pantry, which we refill from. The larger jars will hold the contents of a standard size bottle of spice/herb from the grocery. The small bottles hold stuff like saffron and nutmeg.

Last edited:
I guess this one disappeared when I edited my post. Can you add it to my op as well? The pics are in one of my albums here so they won't disappear again.

Got it...now I'm headed to bed, if you add more to move around give me a couple hours:LOL::sleep:

I think what I have is similar to Margot Howe. It goes in the cupboard. You can get something similar that goes under the cabinets, too.

Chef's Edition SpiceStack
I tried something like that once, but it didn't fit in my cabinet. So I use stepped shelves and I organize them pretty much by cuisine. Seeds are in the bowl on the top shelf and refill bags of Penzeys spices are in the plastic box, with a list inside.
0708171451_HDR.jpg

Baking and preserving cabinet. 0708171454_HDR.jpg

Actually, spices and herbs should be kept out of daylight to preserve their taste.

I keep mine in a drawer. I have a set of Ikea "Vairera" spice drawer liners on which the herb and spice jars lie and I can see exactly what I want. The drawer is a narrow one but the liners are sized so you can fit them into any size of drawer. Easy to clean out the drawer too as they aren't permnently fixed & lift out. Cheap as chips, too

I didn't notice this post before. They are no more exposed to indirect sunlight, than they were in the counter top racks. If we had the drawer or cabinet space then we would have gone that way.;) The whole idea was to use a space that wasn't being used and to allow for the toaster oven that is now on the counter where the racks used to be.

On a side note, the labels are secondary identification now. Having a clear view of the spices/herbs is now the primary means of identification.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom