How to clean Silpat baking mats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I found an old Silpat silicone baking mat in my cupboard and it's pretty grungy and sticky. Do you think it can be salvaged? If so, what's the best way to clean it?

Run it through the dishwasher. Try a soak in vinegar and maybe a scrub with baking soda or Bar Keepers Friend.

Won't the scrubbing damage the silicone coating?

Don't think so, but you'd have to be gentle. I have a Silpat, they're pretty indestructable, but I've never had any baked-on grunge. Mine's about 20 years old.

I found an old Silpat silicone baking mat in my cupboard and it's pretty grungy and sticky. Do you think it can be salvaged? If so, what's the best way to clean it?

I have to admit that this post really surprised me. I never realized that these mats could get dirty. When they first came on the market, it was one of those items "I just HAD to have." I wouldn't have to buy anymore parchment paper. So I bought two of them. I used them mainly for baking cookies only. I forgot that I would still need parchment paper for cake pans, etc. But with every use of these mats, I would wash them in hot soapy water, rinse, and dry. Today they are still as good as new. It sounds like you used yours for more than cookies. :angel:

That's quite a testimonial!

:LOL: Martha Stewart raved about Silpat, so of course I had to get one. Pre-internet, I found it at a kitchen store in Michigan.

I think it's worth trying to save.

Don't think so, but you'd have to be gentle. I have a Silpat, they're pretty indestructable, but I've never had any baked-on grunge. Mine's about 20 years old.

My wife thought one of my Silpats could double as a cutting mat. We have beautiful one inch Silpat strips now. :mad:

I blame myself though. If left to her own devices, it's unlikely that she would have a knife sharp enough to cut silicone. :rolleyes:

Don't take this the wrong way, my wife is a brilliant woman and I love her to pieces, but occasionally she doesn't reason things out before acting. She bought a glass cutting board that I will only let her use as a trivet, much to her chagrin.

My wife thought one of my Silpats could double as a cutting mat. We have beautiful one inch Silpat strips now. :mad:

I blame myself though. If left to her own devices, it's unlikely that she would have a knife sharp enough to cut silicone. :rolleyes:

Don't take this the wrong way, my wife is a brilliant woman and I love her to pieces, but occasionally she doesn't reason things out before acting. She bought a glass cutting board that I will only let her use as a trivet, much to her chagrin.

Hm. Not sure what you'd do with one inch Silpat strips. Form into rings for Egg McMuffins?

Sewing shops sell "self-healing" mats for quilting. I think they're also silicone. Perhaps your wife thought they were the same thing...

Last edited:
Katie, which is the one you have?

First, let me say that I've had my mats for nearly 20 years and purchased them at a kitchen goods store. They came in a package of assorted common square/rectangle sizes (8x8, 9x13), several round (9-in, 8-in), a couple cookie sheet sizes and one rather large rectangular one.

Can't remember how much I paid for them, but I don't think they broke the bank. I liked them so much I bought a set for my daughter. She loves them.

Sadly, I haven't been able to find them again, even on the Internet. However, one of Glenn's daughters gave me a set of these one year for Christmas. They seem to be the same thing I already have, but the beauty is that it gave me the option of cutting the sizes I needed for other cookware/bakeware. Great stuff.

First, let me say that I've had my mats for nearly 20 years and purchased them at a kitchen goods store. They came in a package of assorted common square/rectangle sizes (8x8, 9x13), several round (9-in, 8-in), a couple cookie sheet sizes and one rather large rectangular one.

Can't remember how much I paid for them, but I don't think they broke the bank. I liked them so much I bought a set for my daughter. She loves them.

Sadly, I haven't been able to find them again, even on the Internet. However, one of Glenn's daughters gave me a set of these one year for Christmas. They seem to be the same thing I already have, but the beauty is that it gave me the option of cutting the sizes I needed for other cookware/bakeware. Great stuff.

What brand of baking mat do you have Kate H?

I too purchased the Silpat brand made in France way back when, umm, I think it was like 1990...
anywhos, add me to the list of "top rack of the dishwasher"... I do not care for that sticky-icky-gunky feel, I could SEE where the cookies had sat on the mat even after I cleaned it nicely with a mild detergent and soft sponge, ACK! :glare:

I definitely need a package of them. I am always having to buy the aluminum disposable ones. I hate to spray the bottom as that is where the heating element is. :angel:

What brand of baking mat do you have Kate H?

I too purchased the Silpat brand made in France way back when, umm, I think it was like 1990...
anywhos, add me to the list of "top rack of the dishwasher"... I do not care for that sticky-icky-gunky feel, I could SEE where the cookies had sat on the mat even after I cleaned it nicely with a mild detergent and soft sponge, ACK! :glare:

That’s exactly what happened to me. The Silpat mat was sticky and icky even after cleaning it. I gave mine a good scrub with Bon Ami tonight. I'll see how it feels after it dries.

Back
Top Bottom