"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 03-19-2007, 11:14 AM   #21
Assistant Cook

I heard Cat Cora talk about adding a handful of fresh spinach to a blender when making smoothies. She felt it added nutrition and did not negatively affect the
taste. I found this recipe from her online. Haven't tried it. But, I have put spinach in a smoothie with OJ, strawberries and frozen bananas. It was great.

I have a small electric citrus juicer that I use regularly for oj and grapefruit juice.
I love it - wish it were not electric though. I'd prefer one of those clamp down
on the fruit manual ones.

Mango Smoothie Recipe courtesy Cat CoraShow: Kitchen AccomplishedEpisode: User-Friendly Kitchen
1 banana
6 natural almonds (skin on)
1 cup peeled and chopped mango
2 cups fresh, raw spinach
1 cup cranberry juice

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until fully combined. Refrigerate until chilled. Pour into a tall glass and serve chilled.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:08 PM   #22
Master Chef

I love my juicer, but only use once a year for about 2 weeks during passover. Crazy restriction I took upon my self. Really wish I could affort to buy one for everyday use. I love juice. My all time favorite is half and half apple carrot mixture.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:03 PM   #23
Head Chef

I am another who loves my juicer...when its unpacked, but once it is a way again i dread getting it out, setting it up an dleaving it on the workspace, 1 apple, 2 carrots, 2 sticks of celery and a good bunch of mint or corriander leaves is my fall back recipe, I love it (and I don't like veg juice like V8 very much, so was surpriced I liked the fresh stuff!). Melon with ginger and mint is another winner.

I have to admit, I juice with what is cheaply available usually....so seasonally and buying a box from the market. I know that frozern juice is considered less good for one, but I prefer it to bought juice with extra sugars, sweeteners or preservatives. Carrot and apple pulp my horse likes, the rest the chickens are quite keen on....but I would definitely consider baking with it: muffins for breakfast or lunch boxes would be a good use.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:20 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

I love my juicer and use it usually on the weekends (more so during fresh fruit season); I obtained my Jack LaLane Juicer through Freecycle. Initially it was very burdensome to clean; But we discovered that all the piece come apart and are dishwasher safe;

Fresh strawberries and mush in a bananna for a fresh smoothie, yum!

One of my favorite juices is apples and pears with fresh mint. I forget where I read it but it said never put the core with the seeds in the juice as the seeds are arsenic. Can anyone confirm that?
Old 03-22-2007, 12:27 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttbeachbum
One of my favorite juices is apples and pears with fresh mint. I forget where I read it but it said never put the core with the seeds in the juice as the seeds are arsenic. Can anyone confirm that?
Have a read of this:

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...0/bot00208.htm
Old 03-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

Thanks that