Mandolin Slicers - Loved or Feared?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have looked into getting a mandolin or slicer before but never did get one. I have limited space and figured between my food processor and a good knife I could make due. So far I have not missed not having one. But then I don't know what it would be like to have one. So I guess you can't miss what you don't know.

Why do you think they are useless? The handle I have works extremely well. Obviously you can not use it for things like carrots, but for other items I use it every time with no problems at all.

Things soft enough that they wont be knocked out of the handle if you have less than an inch of prongs aren't worth using a mandolin on to me. Firmer things (carrots) are easier to cut without it, and you waste less since the handle needs more than an inch of prong depth to hold onto them.

Things soft enough that they wont be knocked out of the handle if you have less than an inch of prongs aren't worth using a mandolin on to me. Firmer things (carrots) are easier to cut without it, and you waste less since the handle needs more than an inch of prong depth to hold onto them.
I use mine with things like potatoes and fennel and things like that. Works perfectly if used correctly.

I was mostly afraid of them until my wife bought me a Borner by Swissmar. It is as sharp as they get, but it has a guard that slides with the food and it protects your fingers. Now I can slice without fretting.

Matfer - be very afraid. I've about decided against using the machine. Only a couple of cuts - no stitches yet :ohmy:

Always pay close attention to what you're doing. If you use this tool with extreme care, you will really love it. If not, you'll be visiting the ER in your local hospital.
I use mine often and when doing so, I don't even listen to the radio so I'm not distracted.

I'd received some ghastly wounds working with a mandolin, but that was in a commercial kitchen where I was working [too] quickly and doing large amounts. I really love a good mandolin but that love is tempered with a bit of fear.:ROFLMAO:

I don't have a mandolin, but do have and use this. It was very inexpensive and have used it 20+ years and is still as sharp as can be. They are still available and inexpensive, and the best for slicing potatoes.

622900.f.jpg

spacer01.gif
Feemster's Famous Vegetable Slicer

spacer01.gif
spacer01.gif

In 1971, my then soon-to-be mother-in-law gave me a rusty old thing like that from the drawer in her kitchen. I had no idea it even had a name. I scrubbed it up, and I still use it (has it really been 37 years?) Wow! this is the first time I've ever seen another. Thanks for that.

I used to have the Zyliss that someone else pictured, but the blades got put in the dishwasher and warped.

A couple years ago I got a 'real' mandoline for Xmas. I absolutely love it for some things - like juliennes. But I still use my old Feemster Famous Vegetable Slicer for most things.

Even though I have 3 different size food processors, I don't use them much anymore. I can use a knife much quicker than I can use the Cuisinart.

Just wanted to say thanks for the tip on the OXO. I bought one today. Haven't had a chance to use it but I loved my daughter's comment afterwards. She said "do you REALLY need another gadget. I saw that on tv and it doesn't do much." Yeah, right. This thread helped me decide. Thanks so much.

My tricks for using it safely are not really tricks. Always use the hand guard when possible. This is not possible when doing things like carrots, but for something like potatoes it is a must. Never wear loose cloths, but that is true of cooking in general. Pay attention to what you are doing. Do not have other distractions around you.

Hmmm, I always use mine without the handguard while wearing my choir robes and watching TV while having my children play tag all around me in a nitroglycerin factory and I've never had a problem.
Signed,
Lefty

Thread resurrection! :)

I like a mandolin, the cheaper ones are usually not put together very well and I avoid them. But like any other kitchen instrument, there is danger if you're not paying attention to what you're doing. I don't like to hold conversation while chopping veggies ... I go fairly quick and I like precision and perfect slices/dices, if I were to have my attention taken away while doing this, I stop cutting with a knife, why not the mandolin too?

i certainly am not afraid of mine, it goes unused pretty often, though. i can use my French knife for most tasks.

I have a couple of mandolins, and use them infrequently these days. For small jobs I have some excellent (Japanese) knives, and for large jobs, a Cuis'. I like very thin-cut radishes for salad, and I can put the 1mm slicing disc in the Cuis' and push a bunch of radishes down the narrow feed tube in about three seconds.

Hmmm, I always use mine without the handguard while wearing my choir robes and watching TV while having my children play tag all around me in a nitroglycerin factory and I've never had a problem.
Signed,
Lefty

Coupla' double martinis would go well with that technique.

Back
Top Bottom