"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #11
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I have the allclad pan with a lid and it's great - I've had no issues with it. But I think a paella pan would do well for you and might be cheaper. Mine is 13 inches across and about 3 inches deep.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pan.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	33581

Old 02-12-2019, 10:16 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you, everyone, for your help.

I like the idea of a ss paella pan, but I'll have to ask my wife if she would prefer 2 helper handles, or a regular long handle plus a helper.

Thanks again.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:40 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

I like the idea of a ss paella pan, but I'll have to ask my wife if she would prefer 2 helper handles, or a regular long handle plus a helper.

Thanks again.
If you are considering a regular long handle, you might want to verify that it will fit in your oven. My 16" pan takes up a lot of real estate.
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:59 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I have two large skillets. One is an aluminum non-stick I got from Ace Mart (restaurant supply), and the other is a le Cruset cast iron that I got half price at the le Cruset outlet.

Neither has exceptionally high sides, but the Ace Mart pan has higher sides than the LC.

Both are at least 14-inches. The Ace Mart pan may be 16-inches.

The aluminum pan will eventually warp, but it was cheap, and I don't use it very often. The LC cast iron pan takes two hands to lift -- but would probably make a good home defense weapon.

CD
Old 02-13-2019, 12:04 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I have the allclad pan with a lid and it's great - I've had no issues with it. But I think a paella pan would do well for you and might be cheaper. Mine is 13 inches across and about 3 inches deep.

Attachment 33581
Ah, I forgot, I have one of those, too. That has pretty deep sides. Another good option.

EDIT: Just looked, and mine is not All Clad... it is Calphalon, and I think they called it a "Paella Pan" when I bought it.

CD
Old 02-13-2019, 01:00 PM   #16
Executive Chef

My 14" pan is nonstick, fairly heavy weight aluminum. The brand is called "Bakers and Chefs", available from Amazon for about $35. It has not warped at all, nor has my 12" pan of the same brand. Neither one comes with a cover, but will accept most any generic cover that will fit the appropriate size pan. I don't have a cover for my 14" pan.

When I need a cover on my 12" pan, I use the one that came with a Calphalon fry pan which cost more but the nonstick didn't hold up as well as on this cheaper pan. I tossed the pan, but kept the cover.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:56 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Lol, look at yous...

Addie, how big is the pan across? How deep are the sides?

My wife loves Cuisinart stuff, so that may be the ticket. She has terrible carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists, and something called De Quervain's tenosynovitis, so heavy pans are not something to be considered..

However, she is the destroyer of all non-stick pans (I wish I could Trademark that account of her) and has recently discovered my vintage Tramontina 14" deep saute pan, and now uses it all the time.

I fear it's life is short, so I'm looking for a replacement, or sacrificial substitute if I can secret away my original pan before it has met its maker.

She mentioned an interest in a large, all stainless steel pan. One can only hope.
Pirate just measured it for me to make sure. I certainly don['t want to give you the wrong information.

Fourteen 1/2 inches across. He didn't measure the height for me. but they are nice and high. And there is a cover that fits very nicely. Well worth the money to me.

I too have carpal tunnel problems. I didn't realize it until I went to a rheumatologist for a different problem. She just tapped the base of each finger, and it hurt.

This pan does have a nice big helper handle. It is on there as strong as the handle.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-733...cuisinart+pans

Hope this answers your question and will be of help to you.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I have two large skillets. The aluminum pan will eventually warp, but it was cheap, and I don't use it very often. The LC cast iron pan takes two hands to lift -- but would probably make a good home defense weapon.

CD
Note to self. Do not try to break into the home of caseydog! He has a dangerous weapon. Thanks for the warning.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:

Thanks again.
The problem with two helper handles is that you always need two hands to lift and if you like to shake or move stuff around, they can get hot because they aren't generally insulated and closer to the heat source..I have an SS commercial pan and it is a one trick pony IMHO. I just use it for rice dishes like paella or spanishm or curries. Cool pan, but I don't use it a lot . I'd go with one long handle and one helper on the other side. Easier to use and more versatile..
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:31 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
The problem with two helper handles is that you always need two hands to lift and if you like to shake or move stuff around, they can get hot because they aren't generally insulated and closer to the heat source..I have an SS commercial pan and it is a one trick pony IMHO. I just use it for rice dishes like paella or spanishm or curries. Cool pan, but I don't use it a lot . I'd go with one long handle and one helper on the other side. Easier to use and more versatile..
I have to agree with you. The long handle is much safer. I once had to two handle pan and it was a PITA. Turned out to be useless. For the reasons stated above.