Tong Wars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got my first decent tongs for Christmas...

Wowsers! How did I manage all these years without them????

I have a silicone pair, push button, very nice.
And 2 cheap metal ones with gravity slides.. don't like them. Haven't
mastered the secret to keeping the slide UP!

Have you used the OXO brand? I think mine are constructed completely from SS. You may have SS paddles, but the springs are steel. I'll have some more info for you when I get home.

I think the springs have to be a different composition from the SS so they wil have the springiness necessary to spring. It appears that cannot exist in a rustproof metal.

I think the springs have to be a different composition from the SS so they wil have the springiness necessary to spring. It appears that cannot exist in a rustproof metal.

Nah man. There's all sorts of stainless springs. Ask any 'yachtsman' - lol.

I like the plain ol' stainless steel ones that restaurants use. No silicon, no rubber, no nub for hanging. The ones I use at home are "professional" heavyweight tongs I bought at a local restaurant supply store. They're much heavier and sturdier than the ones you can get at Target or Wal-Mart. Still, when used in the professional kitchen you only get a few years out of them before the springs will break (at least if you use 'em at the broiler station).

A big 'thank you' to Jeekinz!

He emailed OXO and they responded that all parts of their tongs, including the spring, are made of stainless, a major concern of mine.

Now I can head off to get some OXO tongs and be confident they will last longer than I am used to.

Thanks to all who offered your advice. I know I can always count on help from you guys.

Here's my tongs:
The little one I've had for probably 25 years and used it inside and out. No name, just says SS.
The middle one I have two of and got them about two years ago at Wally World, for use with my grill. No name either, just says SS.
The nylon coated one says Oneida and SS on it. All are one hand operation, but the little one has a slider, as you can see. I actually prefer that over the gravity release.

At any rate, the WW ones have been very solid for me and all get put in the dishwasher (or would that be DW.... :ermm:)

Attachments

• tongs.jpg
    tongs.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 216
Yup. Mine are OXO. The set I use with the smoker are "Stainless - China". The spring on that set is a little rusty but in tact.

Andy, if you dont like the OXO's I'll take 'em.

I buy mine 3 to a pack at Sam's Club. A friend of mine has the kind that you have to point at the floor before they open - those drive me :wacko:

I think they come two shorter and one longer - I keep the longer one and give the shorter ones away (no space to keep them all). :ermm:

I buy mine 3 to a pack at Sam's Club. A friend of mine has the kind that you have to point at the floor before they open - those drive me :wacko:

I think they come two shorter and one longer - I keep the longer one and give the shorter ones away (no space to keep them all). :ermm:

Do you have a problem with the springs breaking?

Do you have a problem with the springs breaking?

You're asking me to remember something?? :glare:

This pair I've had for at least 3 years though - no less than 2 :ermm: I don't remember why I needed a new pair but I can't think why it wouldn't be the spring - otherwise, why would I have needed a new pair? :huh:

I do put mine in the dishwasher but I use the heat cycle for drying. That may be where yours are rusting, if you don't use the heat dry cycle - just a guess though.

You're asking me to remember something?? :glare:

This pair I've had for at least 3 years though - no less than 2 :ermm: I don't remember why I needed a new pair but I can't think why it wouldn't be the spring - otherwise, why would I have needed a new pair? :huh:

I do put mine in the dishwasher but I use the heat cycle for drying. That may be where yours are rusting, if you don't use the heat dry cycle - just a guess though.

That's not it. I use the heat cycle too. I guess it's just the cheap tongs I buy,

Ok, I need to make a correction. In my post on this thread, I originally mentioned that I prefer a 9" tongs, and will use 6" tongs as well. I had my sizes off. The 6" tongs at work are actually 9", and the 9" that I prefer to use are actually 11".

I bought a pair of OXO tongs with the rubber grips for $10.99 less a 20% coupon. It has the push/pull lock on the top and that is taking some getting used to.

Only time will tell if they are a better choice than what I have been using.

I use my teeth and chin to lock and unlock my Oxo tongs Andy, as my hands are usually full.

Unlocking is relatively easy. I just push it against a hand or body. I like to lock the tongs when I put them down as space is limited and that takes an extra step. Also. I am accustomed to putting tongs into the DW and the storage crock with the business end up and if I do that with these, the weight of the tongs works the slide lock and the tongs open.

So I guess your utensil crock is not jam packed like mine where there is no way you would ever get the tongs to touch the bottom of the crock.

So I guess your utensil crock is not jam packed like mine where there is no way you would ever get the tongs to touch the bottom of the crock.

Well, if you push real hard and jiggle it a little...

Back
Top Bottom