"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 02-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Went shopping today!

Very brief backstory:

For those of you who don't know, I went to work in Iraq 6.5 years ago and when I did so put all my things in storage in the US. When I left Iraq in 2009 I went straight to Kuwait for a new job, where I stayed for 8 months in a furnished apartment. In spite of the apartment being furnished, I couldn't stop myself from buying a lot of what I considered basic necessities for the kitchen (and a few other rooms). Which is good, because when the company collapsed and a lot of us were let go 8 months later....and hubby and I decided to move to the Philippines and start our own business instead....I had a SLIGHT head start on setting up a household again.

However, I am constantly aware of the fact that sitting in a storage unit back in the US, awaiting my opportunity to take a trip home, go through it all and sort what needs to be donated, sold, trashed and shipped over here, is a HUGE array of cooking implements that I have either inherited from various elderly relatives or purchased sometime in the 9 years between graduating high school and going to Iraq. So every time I find myself thinking "Golly I wish I had _____", I begin the battle of "I should wait until I get the rest of my household goods" versus "I really want / need this, like NOW!"

Then we take a road trip to Manila (2.5 hrs away) to go shopping for things we can't find in our area. And I wander aimlessly into the kitchen section of the largest department store in the city. You know how some women are about shoes? That's me in a kitchen store. I have virtually no impulse control.

So today I caved and bought:

A bread knife

A longer bread pan

A mini-grater for zesting lemons and such (I was using my cheese grater before)

A digital meat thermometer (the cheapie analog one I bought awhile back appears to be "off")

A heart shaped cake pan (corny, I know....I'm a newlywed and it's Valentine's Day so cut me some slack! )

A set of cookie presses

A mini-strainer

Annnnd.....

A meat hammer!

Until now, when I wanted to tenderize meat my husband would just punch it. I've been looking for one for awhile.

Anyway....my gadget god has been appeased.....for now.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Good for you!

Good thing you got the meat hammer, that way your husband doesn't have to beat his......... never mind.

Cake pan, corny. But can be made in the shape of a butt IF he acts like one. (Can be used on you, too.....if he likes to bake)

BTW, what is the meal plan for V day?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
Good for you!

Good thing you got the meat hammer, that way your husband doesn't have to beat his......... never mind.

Cake pan, corny. But can be made in the shape of a butt IF he acts like one.

Quote:
(Can be used on you, too.....if he likes to bake)
Yeah, uh....no. He saves all his romance for things like....remembering not to use my kitchen tools in his shop, welding things around the house and backrubs when my pinched nerve acts up.

I should point out that he was just as excited as I was about the kitchen store because he bought a bunch of things to use in his shop....mixing cups for auto paint, measuring spoons (I had to explain why I couldn't let him use mine when working with metals and powders), a digital scale, etc.

Quote:
BTW, what is the meal plan for V day?
No real meal plan yet, he usually just asks me to make one of his favorites. So I'm thinking on it.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Congratulations!!!! I'm the same way with kitchen stuff, cookware, and dishes. I just checked out our local auction house for this week's sale and they have the cornflower Corning-ware set, vintage mixing bowls and cookie jars up for auction this week. ARRRrrrrrrg!!! Self-restraint....Self-restraint....
Old 02-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

i can't buy anymore kitchen stuff, till i get rid of things, that i thought i could not live without. i find that i can. for intense, a Madeleine pan that has never been used. it survived several mass throwaways, but has to go this time. gonna let two granddaughters see if they want em. if not to the vietnam vets.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i can't buy anymore kitchen stuff, till i get rid of things, that i thought i could not live without. i find that i can. for intense, a Madeleine pan that has never been used. it survived several mass throwaways, but has to go this time. gonna let two granddaughters see if they want em. if not to the vietnam vets.
Yeah this is the problem I'm going to face when I eventually collect my remaining household goods from storage. I have SOOOOoooo much kitchen stuff. I have been very good, however, at refraining from buying any kind of serving dishes. I have 3 full sets of china I've inherited from my grandmother and a great aunt, plus a whole host of interesting little dishes that my family has collected over years of travel.

The problem I have is balancing the things I genuinely need to do some of the things I want to do in the kitchen versus the things I could make-do without for another 6-12 months.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:05 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Archi its also my wedding aniv on the 14th
Click image for larger version

Name:	img049.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	9950 I made our wedding cake.
I never forget my aniv date also I only have to fund one meal and one present.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:00 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Beautiful, Bolas!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Archi its also my wedding aniv on the 14th
Attachment 9950 I made our wedding cake.
I never forget my aniv date also I only have to fund one meal and one present.
You did a lovely job!
Old 02-12-2011, 03:20 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Thank you both, I have had a fair amount of practice with wedding cakes.