"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 06-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I designed and layed out kitchens for a living until recently.Now I do offices and closets. I did a housing project that had really grand show kitchens in the $100,000.00+ neighborhood and right behind it was a $15,000. kitchen that was meant to be cooked in by the help.Cramped and underfunded. Crazy Huh! My little house has a bigger kitchen than those.
I worked for a man that had a gigantic trophy house with a luxury kitchen that was never used. He also had a catering kitchen complete with special refrigerators for the floral arrangements.

I myself prefer a kitchen that is more like a conventional room with furniture, not one that has an abundance of fitted cupboards.

A cross between homely and homey!

Old 06-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
SO works for a family that has too much money. They have a $10,000 Aga stove they never use.
Part of me would kill for an Aga but it would be completely impractical in the kitchen I have now.

Perhaps they don't use it because of the expense of running it? And you need to have an alternative cooking source (and hot water source if the Aga heats it) for the summer months or you'd roast as well as the contents of the oven! If you let the Aga get cold (for servicing or because of summer) it takes nearly a day to come up to full temperature again. I once rented a cottage for 15 months where the Aga was the only source of heat and cooking. The whole cottage, including upstairs, was kept lovely and cosy in winter but it was a nightmare in the summer. The other downside was that because of the heat from the Aga the 'fridge and the freezer cost an arm and a leg to run.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Part of me would kill for an Aga but it would be completely impractical in the kitchen I have now.

Perhaps they don't use it because of the expense of running it? And you need to have an alternative cooking source (and hot water source if the Aga heats it) for the summer months or you'd roast as well as the contents of the oven! If you let the Aga get cold (for servicing or because of summer) it takes nearly a day to come up to full temperature again. I once rented a cottage for 15 months where the Aga was the only source of heat and cooking. The whole cottage, including upstairs, was kept lovely and cosy in winter but it was a nightmare in the summer. The other downside was that because of the heat from the Aga the 'fridge and the freezer cost an arm and a leg to run.
Their Aga is not an 'on all the time' type. This is a conventional type with burners and oven that you turn on and off. It has six ovens so small you can't put a normal cookie sheet in them.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I worked for a man that had a gigantic trophy house with a luxury kitchen that was never used. He also had a catering kitchen complete with special refrigerators for the floral arrangements.

I myself prefer a kitchen that is more like a conventional room with furniture, not one that has an abundance of fitted cupboards.

A cross between homely and homey!
Me too. In the last house my kitchen was like that with a mixture of fitted cupboards and furniture. I had my great-grandmother's china cupboard in there and a huge linen press you could hide a couple of bodies in but when I moved house I had to let them go as the new house has nowhere for them to go.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Their Aga is not an 'on all the time' type. This is a conventional type with burners and oven that you turn on and off. It has six ovens so small you can't put a normal cookie sheet in them.
Ah. I thought you meant the heat storage type. My gas cooker has 7 burners and 4 ovens and I use it all the time.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I designed and layed out kitchens for a living until recently.Now I do offices and closets. I did a housing project that had really grand show kitchens in the $100,000.00+ neighborhood and right behind it was a $15,000. kitchen that was meant to be cooked in by the help.Cramped and underfunded. Crazy Huh! My little house has a bigger kitchen than those.
As they say here in the north of England "there's nowt so queer as folk" especially when they have more money than sense.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I am stuck with what I have. The only change I could make was to tile the backsplash of the stove and the small space above the sink. Two areas impossible to keep clean. The walls are painted a slight off flat white. I have a galley type kitchen. One of the largest in this building. I have seen some of the kitchens, and they have just one area of counter space that is only one small drawer wide. Almost no cabinets. When I am putting the clean dishes away, I grab up the eating utensils in my left hand and the cooking ones, spatulas, mixing spoons, in my right hand. I can turn sideways, open both drawers at the same time and put them away in one step.

In spite of having the best kitchen in the building, I hate it. When it recently was painted, I had to remove everything off the walls. I also had some things for show on top of the cabinets. Those have been packed away until I make a decision on what I want to do with them. I now consider them dust collectors. It is a room that is easy to keep clean. But no style at all. Just your generic kitchen with all the necessities. Though I would love to have a self cleaning oven. And maybe a dishwasher.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I do a lot of walking through, we use the back door to enter and exit the apartment. But I do manage to cook some really outstanding meals and neither one of us looks like we are starving. My dream kitchen would be have someplace to sit and hang out. The center of my home.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I stand there in my boxer shorts with the refrigerator door open and drink milk from the container.....
Old 06-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #20
Master Chef

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kitchen