What kind of spoon is this, and where can I get one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrillingFool

Head Chef
I have an acquaintance who wants more of these type spoons.
Is there a name for them?
How about a source?
:)
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
It appears to be filed down on purpose (but I have been wrong before :blush:) - it would be a great spoon to cook/bake with!

It looks kinda like a spoonula, but I've never seen a metal one before...that's the prototype, perhaps ????

Just for the heck of it, I did a Google image search for "basting spoon." Interestingly enough, on several pages there were a number with blunt tips similar to the spoon in your photo. Perhaps it's a basting spoon of some sort.

BBQ Mikey, what does your friend use that for?

I have something extremely similar, that's used for ice cream. If you want, I'll post a pic of mine.

Ok, here's mine.

icecreamspadeav9.jpg

If you look, you can even make out the name of the store that sells it. They call it an "ice cream spade". Over-all length is about 9".

I have 2 spoons similar to this one. They are all metal. One is slotted, the other is not. I love them! I wanted to buy more but the place where I bought them didn't carry them anymore.

What's so great about them? The flatness at the edge of the bowl of the spoon allows you to scrape across a wider portion of the bottom of a pan or mixing bowl. A regular spoon has almost a pointed tip on the end of the bowl & doesn't allow you to cover as much ground when you're stirring. :)

Corinne

From the ice cream company whose name is emblazoned on the tang near the wooden handle. It's a franchise chain, with locations all over OK, northern TX, western AR, south-western MO, and southern KS. Heck, I used to work for them, back before I decided to go into food professionally. Double-heck, there's a store about a mile from me right now. I buy milk there, and ocassionally ice cream.

Great sleuthing!
I know the company name is Warco, but that's about it.
There are a bunch on google made of wood, endorsed by Mario
Battali of Iron Chef fame, and I saw that Ice Cream Spade, too!
Said acquaintance is from another message board, and likes them
because they are flat ended for scraping. Also because the flat end
makes a nice "knife edge" for banging things up in a skillet.

I think it might be an ice cream spade; they mentioned advertising
on the handle.

Thanks everyone! have I mentioned that I really like it here? :)

edit to add a link: The Warco Variant Ice Cream Scoop:

Warco Variant

I think that is the beast. :)

Last edited:
I have one just like that, and I too love it. Mine came from my XMIL--they gave them out as premiums at the savings and loan where she worked. It is more than 30 years old, I know.

Flat bottom is great for stirring, it is heavy unbendable metal so I can use it for hard ice cream. I have even been known to use it in the garden to dig planting holes.

If I could find a couple more, I would buy them in a heartbeat.

i'm late on this, but i've also seen those used with ice cream. they're used for blending extra ingredients, like chocolate chunks, cookie chunks, fruit, etc., into a base ice cream.

(i don't know why, but i keep hearing mr. burns' voice saying "iced cream".)

Our family was ginen a version of this spoon as a gift by the grain co-op one Xmas back in the sixties. They called a square corner spoon. It did get into the "squarish " corners of a sauce pan.

Back
Top Bottom