"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Sting. Owie, Owie.
My mom split/cracked several woods before switching to wire coat hangers. But let me not go into those memories.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #12
Master Chef

That's one gorgeous spoon MsM !! You really should use it an enjoy it, expensive or not!

I have an olive wood spatula that was hand crafted. I bought in a little remote Italian town last year and I use it daily. The wood grain is just beautiful, and the handle has a wonderful feel to it. It was expensive, but has sure been a source of cooking enjoyment for me. With all the traveling we do, I only buy souvenirs that are useful, and have meaning to me.
Here's a picture of the shape, but mine is much more beautiful.
Amazon.com: Cilio Olivewood Spatula, 12-Inch: Kitchen & Dining

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Very elegant, KL.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #14
Master Chef

I have many wood utensils the longest spoon is about 18" long (+/-)to be used in my huge stock pot!! LOL

The thing I hate about wood is it warps, bloats, drys out and cracks. If you don't wash immediately the food cements itself to the wood!! It takes on odors and flavors easily!! I have ruined dishes because they wind up tasting like previously cooked food or dish soap. It is scary that if it smells like old food are there little buggies feeding on it and waiting to happily inhabit the next food dish and our bodies!!
Old 01-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That's one gorgeous spoon MsM !! You really should use it an enjoy it, expensive or not!

I have an olive wood spatula that was hand crafted. I bought in a little remote Italian town last year and I use it daily. The wood grain is just beautiful, and the handle has a wonderful feel to it. It was expensive, but has sure been a source of cooking enjoyment for me. With all the traveling we do, I only buy souvenirs that are useful, and have meaning to me.
Here's a picture of the shape, but mine is much more beautiful.
Amazon.com: Cilio Olivewood Spatula, 12-Inch: Kitchen & Dining
That is very similar to the one I have, olive wood...it has seasoned beautifully...and I got it and an olive wood spoon for about $5 at Ross...that's where I look for my high end utensils...Ross first and then I go shopping at other places. Most of the time I find what I want for lots less.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I have many wood utensils the longest spoon is about 18" long (+/-)to be used in my huge stock pot!! LOL

The thing I hate about wood is it warps, bloats, drys out and cracks. If you don't wash immediately the food cements itself to the wood!! It takes on odors and flavors easily!! I have ruined dishes because they wind up tasting like previously cooked food or dish soap. It is scary that if it smells like old food are there little buggies feeding on it and waiting to happily inhabit the next food dish and our bodies!!

When I fisrt got my olive wood utensils...I found a jar large enough to hold them, put 'em in and covered with olive oil. Nothing sticks to them and they reseason themselves now, eveytime I use them. I still have the jar and soak oil, I add any wood utensil in and soak until they are fairly saturated, allow to air dry and wipe down...they last a bit longer.

Oh, and I never soap them...rinse water and wipe only...no smell at all.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That is very similar to the one I have, olive wood...it has seasoned beautifully...and I got it and an olive wood spoon for about $5 at Ross...that's where I look for my high end utensils...Ross first and then I go shopping at other places. Most of the time I find what I want for lots less.
Oh boy do I agree about the bargains at Ross!! I made a killing there for high end utensils before Christmas. Congrats on the olive wood spoon......great buy!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #18
Master Chef

What is "Ross"?
Old 01-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
What is "Ross"?
"Ross Dress For Less" similar to Kohl's, I believe...there aren't any Kohl's around here. Ross is usually down the strip mall from the TJ Maxx.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:31 PM   #20
Master Chef

.:: ROSS ::.