What's your favorite wooden spoon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's the Ross website MsM. Check the map at the top right. Many states don't have one. They are great for bargain hunters. I don't think they are like Kohl's at all.

.:: ROSS ::.

I wpouldn't know, have never seen a Kohl's...was just going by the advertising info about brand names for less.

Ross is on the lowest tier, aside from a dollar store.

I love my wooden spoons ... some were my mother's, and still going strong. I love the lazy spoons that RR uses on her show, that clip on the side of the pot, but I'm a lefty and can't use them ... even some of the flat spoons that are angled as not suited to a lefty ... oh, well.

Does Kohl's carry the same stuff? There are many of those in my area but the nearest Ross is 1 hour+ away from me.

Does Kohl's carry the same stuff? There are many of those in my area but the nearest Ross is 1 hour+ away from me.

I'm sorry, I don't know, never been to a Kohl's, Kayelle says they are not the same.

I was ASSuming...from hearing the TV ads...but apparently I am mistaken.:ROFLMAO:

Marshall's, TJMax, Ross=alike. Mostly apparel, often name brands and many household items at drastically reduced prices all the time.

Kohl's, JC Penney's, Sears= alike. Bargains occasionally on sale.

MsM......... take an afternoon for yourself, and check out Ross. I don't go with a girlfriend, as we often want the same stuff. :LOL: One of a kind, mostly.
Sometimes they have a bunch of good kitchen stuff, but it's kind of a crap shoot from week to week.

Marshall's, TJMax, Ross=alike. Mostly apparel, often name brands and many household items at drastically reduced prices all the time.

Kohl's, JC Penney's, Sears= alike. Bargains occasionally on sale.

MsM......... take an afternoon for yourself, and check out Ross. I don't go with a girlfriend, as we often want the same stuff. :LOL: One of a kind, mostly.
Sometimes they have a bunch of good kitchen stuff, but it's kind of a crap shoot from week to week.

Thanks for the hierarchy, I was usure of where they fit.:)

See, I learned something new today, time to go rot my brain with vodeo games now.:LOL:

I have a really big bowled, chunky handled wooden spoon and spatula. I love them. The flat spatulas are so handy. I even have a (regular sized) flat spoon shaped one that is often handy. If I am creaming butter and sugar, I don't have to dig stuff out of the bowl.

I have many wood utensils the longest spoon is about 18" long (+/-)to be used in my huge stock pot!! LOL

The thing I hate about wood is it warps, bloats, drys out and cracks. If you don't wash immediately the food cements itself to the wood!! It takes on odors and flavors easily!! I have ruined dishes because they wind up tasting like previously cooked food or dish soap. It is scary that if it smells like old food are there little buggies feeding on it and waiting to happily inhabit the next food dish and our bodies!!

Actually, wood is surprisingly sanitary. It has weird properties that let it suck micro-organisms inside and kill them later. They have done tests on wooden cutting boards and germs are gone from the surface quite fast.

My one olive spoon from a mill in southern France is a keepsake favorite. I have several bamboo that are for every day use. I think any wood that is particularly dense will serve well. I'd like to get my hands on some utensils made of ironwood, but have never come across such.

My aunt won't use wood anything especially cooking utensils because they feel slimy when wet. That feel gives her the "skeevies"!! LOL :LOL:

Thanks for all the replies everyone :)

I need to go check out a Ross or TJMaxx tomorrow I guess! :)

Oh...and one last thing. I noticed some of them seem like they have a finish on them...and then other feel a little more 'rough'. Any difference? Will the finish stay nice?

Personally, I would stay away from any finished wood utensils unless I was 100% sure that the finish was food safe.

At any rate, the finish will quickly wear off unless it is oil, which can be replenished.

Oh...and one last thing. I noticed some of them seem like they have a finish on them...and then other feel a little more 'rough'. Any difference? Will the finish stay nice?

Olive wood utensils don't have a finish on them and are very smooth to the touch because it's a superior wood compared to the pale rough wood found in the dollar stores, or grocery stores. I wouldn't buy anything with a finish on it.
This really is a case of you get what you pay for, unless you're lucky enough to find an actual bargain. Good luck, and welcome to DC.

just found what looks like a good buy on walmart.com. bamboo and just over 20 bucks. just need to decide if i would use them all or not. may buy.

They also have bamboo cutting boards. I've had the small and larger ones for about a year and they are holding up fine. Also they have bamboo holders for said utensils and a spice rack with stepped levels to organize your spice cabinet.:chef:

I have a nice assortment from Fantes. Each with its own purpose. The olive wood ones are very nice but somewhat delicate. Two of the beech wood spoons from Poland, one with a 15.5 mm dia. handle and the other with a 19 mm dia. handle are quite sturdy and my favorites for mixing large batches of heavy bread dough. For sentimental reasons my all-time favorite is an ornately turned and deeply cupped spoon which along with 3 Munising bowls were hand-me-downs from my maternal great grandmother.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom